Visa Requirement for US citizens

24 minutes ago, trbarton said:

I see for US citizens you need a visa to enter Australia & New Zealand. Anyone know if we need one?

Tom😀

Tom.. you answered your question in your first sentence, Yes !  But unfortunately Australia is currently closed, probably until mid 2022, according to Government.

Edited by NSWP

In normal times, US citizens need an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) to enter Australia which you apply for on-line. It should only cost $20 (beware of online 'visa services' which will fill in the form for you and charge you $100+).

Unfortunately these are not normal times and the ETA process is suspended:

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/i-want-apply-visa

6 hours ago, trbarton said:

I see for US citizens you need a visa to enter Australia & New Zealand. Anyone know if we need one?

Tom😀

I would say you need two!  One for NZ and one for Aus (if you are planning to visit both countries).

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/tools-and-information/your-journey-to-new-zealand/before-you-travel-to-new-zealand/arriving-by-cruise-ship

6 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Agreed. Two countries, two visas.

As others have said, in normal times you need to apply for a visa for Australia.. Most from the US are eligible for the ETA process. Link

https://www.eta.homeaffairs.gov.au/ETAS3/etas

The NZ link has been provided by onlyslightlymad up above.

Currently the system is disabled, as shown in the Information box in the picture.

5F1B53FD-F5DD-4EAA-B09D-9A6CBE682E9D.thumb.png.3195a6fbf18aa5c7a5c40ee5abb67e92.png

4 hours ago, Docker123 said:

As others have said, in normal times you need to apply for a visa for Australia.. Most from the US are eligible for the ETA process. Link

The NZ link has been provided by onlyslightlymad up above.

Currently the system is disabled, as shown in the Information box in the picture.

5F1B53FD-F5DD-4EAA-B09D-9A6CBE682E9D.thumb.png.3195a6fbf18aa5c7a5c40ee5abb67e92.png

Thank you very much. 

Tom😀

8 hours ago, vada_9 said:

Also, if and when you come, both countries have their own currency.

I had a very funny conversation when an American cruiser the night before a trans-Tasman cruise in Auckland.  He had arrived with only US currency.  "Why?", he said, "Do you not accept US$ here?" "Because we are not in the US", I said.  I don't think he ever fully got it.

38 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I had a very funny conversation when an American cruiser the night before a trans-Tasman cruise in Auckland.  He had arrived with only US currency.  "Why?", he said, "Do you not accept US$ here?" "Because we are not in the US", I said.  I don't think he ever fully got it.

In fact, my cousin had the same conversation with a lady in the Med about the Euro - and she couldn’t understand why they wouldn’t want US$.

That is why I posted my comment.

3 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Sellers are very accommodating. They will take your USD$ on a 1:1 basis. 😁

4 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

3 hours ago, vada_9 said:

In fact, my cousin had the same conversation with a lady in the Med about the Euro - and she couldn’t understand why they wouldn’t want US$.

That is why I posted my comment.

Many Americans are used to going on vacation to places like Mexico and the Caribbean which happily accept USD especially in tourist shops. Others haven't really woken up to the fact that there is a whole different world outside of the US of A.🤣

4 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Many think USD is the international currency, well it is almost.  Just about every country in Central America and South America prefers the USD to their own currency.  I recollect in Buenos Aires in 2007, when we were there for a couple of weeks precruise, several restaurants offered 20% discount off your bill, if you gave USD in cash rather than local currency, which was so unstable.

14 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Many Americans are used to going on vacation to places like Mexico and the Caribbean which happily accept USD especially in tourist shops. Others haven't really woken up to the fact that there is a whole different world outside of the US of A.🤣

Agree, some presume USA 'is the world' lol.

My daughter used to work in a coffee shop on the edge of the Melbourne CBD, in one of the main botanic gardens. It was a regular thing that tourists would try to pay in USD. She had to explain that it was not legal tender here - they seemed shocked. Add to that having to explain what each type of coffee was in terms that were familiar to them.

50 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Many think USD is the international currency, well it is almost.  Just about every country in Central America and South America prefers the USD to their own currency.  I recollect in Buenos Aires in 2007, when we were there for a couple of weeks precruise, several restaurants offered 20% discount off your bill, if you gave USD in cash rather than local currency, which was so unstable.

When we were in Vietnam, we were buying some silver jewellery in Ho Chi Minh City and I took out the dong I had in my wallet to pay and was told they only accepted US$. I told the shop assistant she either took the Vietnamese currency or my credit card or there would be no sale. She decided to take the dong. It was the only place we came across that wanted US currency.

Leigh

14 hours ago, NSWP said:

Agree, some presume USA 'is the world' lol.

Not all Americans are stupid. We had visas and  plenty of AUD, NZD and FJD for our trip. These are the same like minds who are booking Aussie cruises for the end of this year.  Ignorance can be educated, crazy can be medicated, but you can't fix stupid.

Edited by BRANDEE
5 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

Not all Americans are stupid. We had visas and  plenty of AUD, NZD and FJD for our trip. These are the same like minds who are booking Aussie cruises for the end of this year.  Ignorance can be educated, crazy can be medicated, but you can't fix stupid.

Very true Brandee and we have plenty of foolish citizens of our own.

10 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

Agree, most of our cruises, mainly on Princess have been overseas based, The Americas and Europe. We met many nice people and many dick heads, (Aussie Vernicular for a fool or 🤡).

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Agree, most of our cruises, mainly on Princess have been overseas based, The Americas and Europe. We met many nice people and many dick heads, (Aussie Vernicular for a fool or 🤡).

Dick Head is a universal vernacular..it should be criminal that they can reproduce!!  :classic_cool:

I read sometime back, a scientific study that presented evidence that, based on standard IQ testing, the average  IQ of humans reached a peak around 1975 & has been steadily declining ever since.

As it was a 'proper' study the conclusion was that yes we are on average less intelligent than we were, or perhaps, the standard IQ tests were no longer able to accurately measure comparative IQ, which was an equally plausible conclusion.

I look around me everyday, at work, in public, &  in mainstream & social media & I know the answer - the tests are fine.

1 minute ago, trbarton said:

I started this post & it’s extremely interesting how far off my question this has became. 

Tom🤔

That's fairly typical for a thread on our forum, Tom  🤣 there is no such thing as off topic here.

25 minutes ago, trbarton said:

I started this post & it’s extremely interesting how far off my question this has became. 

Tom🤔

Got both an Australian visa and a New Zealand visa for our March 2020 visit.  Very easy and quick.  Go directly to the Australian or New Zealand site.  You do not need a third partly to apply for you and charge you extra.      PS.. No one ever looked at them during our visit...

Regarding prescription drugs being taken into the country.  You do not have to have them in the original bottle. You can put them in a weekly pill case.  But do take a list of the prescriptions (name and dose) in a letter from your doctor just incase questioned or if you need more.  Again, no one looked or asked.