Can’t believe the competition did it!

Just now, harkinmr said:

I understand what the mortality rate is for children. That is not the point. “Older people” on these cruises will be vaccinated. Children under 16/12 will not be. Carnival has made a decision to limit those who have not been vaccinated because other protocols must apply to them and they do not want to manage that process. They have made a business decision. It is their right to do so in order to restart cruising in a safe manner. That is the point. 

you are correct.  It is their decision to do what they want on their boats just like it is for royal.  It is our decision as customers to either buy their product or not based on if we agree with them.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

I understand what the mortality rate is for children. That is not the point. “Older people” on these cruises will be vaccinated. Children under 16/12 will not be. Carnival has made a decision to limit those who have not been vaccinated because other protocols must apply to them and they do not want to manage that process. They have made a business decision. It is their right to do so in order to restart cruising in a safe manner. That is the point. 

That is the point, but people with children seem to want to cry the blues and insist that if their darlings can't cruise then older people shouldn't be allowed either.

Such a stupid argument - my darling is 6 and I don't have any problems with him being restricted this year if it would get cruising started back up with the least amount of problems.

Edited by mek
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, dominicr said:

you are correct.  It is their decision to do what they want on their boats just like it is for royal.  It is our decision as customers to either buy their product or not based on if we agree with them.  

You can disagree with them and choose otherwise, as you said. But it is not “stupid”, nor is there any reason to restrict “older people”.  That is just a knee-jerk reaction to the mandate and is a silly contention. 

• Like 6

It's sad that Royal Caribbean apparently will be the only major cruise line that will sail from the US without requiring proof of vaccination. Our concern is simply that unvaccinated cruisers will now be encouraged to cruise Royal which could create a less safe environment on these cruises.

• Like 13

Notice most (if not all) people who complain about a policy are those that are affected by it? Humans are just selfish creatures. We will throw grandma under the bus if it means my (kid, un-vaccinated family member, dog, etc) gets to cruise.

I especially love when we don't get what we want, the first reaction is to say why someone else should suffer too....misery loves company

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, mek said:

LOL - I simply don't plan on cruising at all until this mess settles down.  People act as if there are no other vacation options available.

Yup

All Inclusive resorts a good alternative to cruising. No more cruises for us until they get this mess straightened out. I just hope we get our money back if we cancel because of their protocols.

Just now, cruisegoal100 said:

It's sad that Royal Caribbean apparently will be the only major cruise line that will sail from the US without requiring proof of vaccination. Our concern is simply that unvaccinated cruisers will now be encouraged to cruise Royal which could create a less safe environment on these cruises.

Don’t book RC.  

I will give version 47 of this topic credit for having an original beginning, unfortunately, trending like the previous 46 versions now.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

Actually......before you can conclude that....I think you need to also see the * call out that would be in the footer somewhere and see what qualifiers they are attaching.

carnivalhealthprotocols1-775x500.webp

*With certain exemptions required by law  (so not quite so open and shut I think)

That may be medical or religious exemptions which would need to be documented.  That is not children. There is no legal obligation to board children not eligible for a vaccine. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, harkinmr said:

That may be medical or religious exemptions which would need to be documented.  That is not children. There is no legal obligation to board children not eligible for a vaccine. 

Unless they are religious children right?  😉 😉

I kid, I kid.....It's just so easy to poke holes in policies that are so utterly silly as to be nothing more than amusement for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

Actually......before you can conclude that....I think you need to also see the * call out that would be in the footer somewhere and see what qualifiers they are attaching.

carnivalhealthprotocols1-775x500.webp

*With certain exemptions required by law  (so not quite so open and shut I think)

What law requires boarding of unvaccinated children? My guess is none, I think it’s pretty

cut and dry. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

Unless they are religious children right?  😉 😉

I kid, I kid.....It's just so easy to poke holes in policies that are so utterly silly as to be nothing more than amusement for me.

Not silly at all. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, dominicr said:

yes I am.  Kids haven’t been dying so they should be allowed to go.  Older people have been so they should stay home.  

CHILDREN have died and are still dying from COVID-19...where have you been hiding. Heaven forbid it should ever be a child in your family and I bet you would sing a different song....so sad to have read your comment. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kdnurs said:

CHILDREN have died and are still dying from COVID-19...where have you been hiding. Heaven forbid it should ever be a child in your family and I bet you would sing a different song....so sad to have read your comment. 

Yup..... 314 of them.  Less than half the amount that died from flu

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Deaths-by-Sex-and-Age/9bhg-hcku

Also Less than half the amount that die from Drowning

https://www.safekids.org/press-release/almost-800-kids-drown-each-year-more-half-are-under-age-5

Death has always been a part of our lives.  But in the last 14 months we seem to have all forgotten how to properly assess risk profiles. 

I'm sure we are 1 step closer to locking/deleting now 😉

Edited by dodgestang
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Cruises by nature are pretty restricted places...I'd like to see the restart go as smoothly as possible..

What cruises are you booked on this year?  I assume that's why your fairly vocal about kids cruising...

I have an October cruise with our two kids (5 and 2) booked out of Galveston and one in December for just me and the wife out of Miami.  I am vaccinated...the wife is vaccinated...obviously the kids aren’t.  I don’t care if people are or aren’t.  It should be their decision to do what’s best for them and what they think/believe.  If companies want to say you must be vaccinated to use our product then so be it....it’s their company and they have to live with the repercussions either way.  What I have a problem with is government mandates and people pawning off their ideas on others. 

• Like 2

Very interesting.  We said we’d never take another Carnival cruise but .....

Some of you will of course disagree but I think this is the way to go for now,  maybe at least through the end of the year.  I think cruise lines should take a stance and stick with it, maybe until the end of 2021.  Let people know for sure.  Let cruising resume safety and then later it can be revisited.  While I wasn’t too concerned about unvaccinated kids aboard I think Carnival actually has it right.  Not forever, just right for now.  Let cruise lines start to make some money again and let people who have chosen to get vaccinated get on with it. And then don’t change the “rules” again right before you board.

Folks with kids won’t agree but then I’m not sure I’d want to make my young kids get tested ( it’s very unpleasant) or put them in an environment where they might be quarantined. Families have waited this long, a few more months wait is not the end of the world.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

The more I cruise, the simpler my needs get. I'm very open to trying a Carnival cruise. I just want the sea air and the motion of the ocean. Tramp steamer at this point, as long as it's vaxxed.

We like to switch lines.  We were on a Carnival ship in Feb, 2020 - right before Covid was thought to be a serious problem.  It was our first time on Carnival in about 5 years - our previous Carnival cruise was less than stellar, so we stayed away, but we had a great time on the last one - especially with a 5 year old.  

But I am looking forward to taking him on an Oasis class ship - maybe next year.

Edited by mek

Just now, cruiselvr04 said:

Very interesting.  We said we’d never take another Carnival cruise but .....

Some of you will of course disagree but I think this is the way to go for now,  maybe at least through the end of the year.  I think cruise lines should take a stance and stick with it, maybe until the end of 2021.  Let people know for sure.  Let cruising resume safety and then later it can be revisited.  While I wasn’t too concerned about unvaccinated kids aboard I think Carnival actually has it right.  Not forever, just right for now.  Let cruise lines start to make some money again and let people who have chosen to get vaccinated get on with it. And then don’t change the “rules” again right before you board.

Folks with kids won’t agree but then I’m not sure I’d want to make my young kids get tested ( it’s very unpleasant) or put them in an environment where they might be quarantined. Families have waited this long, a few more months wait is not the end of the world.

I have young kids, and I 100% agree with you.

If a line says I can't go until my kids are vaccinated, then I cant go until they are vaccinated. I'm not so entitled and selfish that I will throw a hissy fit about it.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1