Royal Caribbean Says Unvaccinated Guests Will Face Restrictions, Higher Costs

How about we quit fretting about what could be and deal with what is. Declining numbers on all fronts for infection and death. Increased natural immunity and herd immunity. Increased vaccination for those desiring to be vaccinated.

It should be fairly observable that we have reached a break even point. To strap additional stresses upon travelers does little to promote health and continues to degrade mental wellbeing. COVID more than likely isn't going away and we must, like all others before it, learn to live with it in the background. 

We can bring up a hundred "what ifs". What if an unvaxed person brings back the virus... What if a vaxed person brings back the virus... What if a vaxed person leads to the death of an unvaxed person due to their unsanitary procedures... But none of that matters. It comes down to being an adult, making wise choices for yourself, and being responsible for said choices. 

If we look at the science, it is interesting to find that the infectious distribution shows no difference between those that followed CDC recommendations (isolation, masks, etc.) and those that didn't. 

For cruising, this means continued washing and healthy patterns without segmenting nor isolating cruisers due to opposing choices which both support healthy living. 

Edited by DWBirdman
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cindymarye said:

SHAME ON Royal Caribbean for not following the CDC guidelines. Our family of ten will not travel on Royal until the proof of vaccination policy is in place. Let's be honest. If Royal had the backbone to say they would not use the ports in Florida or Texas, the governors would have backed down. 

Furious.

I guess this is a purely political attack as you MUST know by now rcl for july and august says out of Galveston vaccinated on the booking site.

Carnival says they will do only vaccinated cruises so far for july and august out of Galveston.. just because neither went past july and August doesnt mean unvaccinated for either I'd bet.

I've seen 20 posts saying stop with the false information about texas. If still dont understand the policy dont make make it up about texas. I have read john heald says I have to show my vaccine card to board my vaccinated cruise. I guess living in calif you know better just like to attack? 

This is a pretty good plan.  I mean, we already have to pay extra for wanting refundable deposits and we get discounts for early booking, etc.  It makes sense that vaccinated people, willing to show proof, could get a discount since they could be a lot less problem for the company.  Also, there are discounts for seniors, military personnel, essential workers like doctors and nurses, etc.  Also, they are giving people everything from college tuition to lottery tickets to get vaccinated.  Why not offer a discount on cruises!

This may even give people the chance to offer the information instead of being required to show it.

I also think insurance should cost more for people refusing vaccinations.  Kind of like smokers or heavy drinkers.  That may be coming down the pike sometime... just guessing.

Tom

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I guess this is a purely political attack as you MUST know by now rcl for july and august says out of Galveston vaccinated on the booking site.

Carnival says they will do only vaccinated cruises so far for july and august out of Galveston.. just because neither went past july and August doesnt mean unvaccinated for either I'd bet.

I've seen 20 posts saying stop with the false information about texas. If still dont understand the policy dont make make it up about texas. I have read john heald says I have to show my vaccine card to board my vaccinated cruise. I guess living in calif you know better just like to attack? 

Yeah, I haven't heard anything Texas not allowing private companies to set their own rules.  I think that is only in Florida where they're passing those restrictions.  It seems to me that might be fair in government jobs, but if you're a private company you should be able to set your own rules for hiring or who gets to enter your establishment, or whatever.

I'm not a big fan of Texas leadership, but it's unfair to pin this on them.

BTW, Galveston is a beautiful port to sail from with very friendly and hospitable people.  We love it.

Tom

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Texas's law is not like Florida's. It clearly states that if anything is controlled by the Federal Government, it overrides the vaccine law. Cruise ships are regulated, so it doesn't affect them. This is a law with some brains, unlike Florida's.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tserface said:

Yeah, I haven't heard anything Texas not allowing private companies to set their own rules.  I think that is only in Florida where they're passing those restrictions.  It seems to me that might be fair in government jobs, but if you're a private company you should be able to set your own rules for hiring or who gets to enter your establishment, or whatever.

I'm not a big fan of Texas leadership, but it's unfair to pin this on them.

BTW, Galveston is a beautiful port to sail from with very friendly and hospitable people.  We love it.

Tom

Thanks, as you can see I have a bunch booked out of Galveston so I'm following the news carefully. I do get tired of these political attacks with wrong information. 

Lol if not for cruising I'd barely know much about the governors of florida and texas, but sure get a earfull on here.

I agree cruisers out of texas are extra friendly. 

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

Texas's law is not like Florida's. It clearly states that if anything is controlled by the Federal Government, it overrides the vaccine law. Cruise ships are regulated, so it doesn't affect them. This is a law with some brains, unlike Florida's.

First of all - CDC guidelines are NOT federal laws. Secondly, that's not what the Texas law reflects. It doesn't make sense that the exception would, essentially, swallow the rule. The exception allows businesses to enact/maintain protocols and screenings (testing, masking, etc.) despite no vaccine verification in accordance with state and/or federal law. Now, the Texas law doesn't have much "sting" for violators so Carnival, etc. is like - what's the consequence? No gov't contracts? I don't believe Carnival has any business license in Texas so that can't be rescinded. What's stopping them from cruising? Nothing.

Edited by ChutChut

7 hours ago, cindymarye said:

SHAME ON Royal Caribbean for not following the CDC guidelines. Our family of ten will not travel on Royal until the proof of vaccination policy is in place. Let's be honest. If Royal had the backbone to say they would not use the ports in Florida or Texas, the governors would have backed down. 

Furious.

The governors would not back down, that is bearing out in Florida. 

In Texas, CruiseLine’s can ask for proof of vaccination 

• Thanks 1

Vaxxed or unvaxxed - anyone who was willing to book cruises that would be some of the first to sail had to know there would be glitches and nothing would be set in stone.

Expect the unexpected and if it's that important to cruise right now, then go with the flow and don't complain.

Edited by mek
  • Like 5

Problem is that all passengers will have a major restriction as the masks will be required for all on Royal cruises from Florida. Something that Carnival, NCL and Carnival guests won't have to deal with.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 6:08 PM, ChutChut said:

First of all - CDC guidelines are NOT federal laws. Secondly, that's not what the Texas law reflects. It doesn't make sense that the exception would, essentially, swallow the rule. The exception allows businesses to enact/maintain protocols and screenings (testing, masking, etc.) despite no vaccine verification in accordance with state and/or federal law. Now, the Texas law doesn't have much "sting" for violators so Carnival, etc. is like - what's the consequence? No gov't contracts? I don't believe Carnival has any business license in Texas so that can't be rescinded. What's stopping them from cruising? Nothing.

I would disagree, the CDC rules and guidlines are Federal law.  Since there is clearly room to interpret "screening protocols", that may give the cruise lines lawyers something to hang their hat on.  I would assume they have some type of permits or licenses to operate check-in.  But the port of Galveston specifically stated that they could ask for proof of vaccination at the Port, so I would agree with you based on their statement.  However since I disagree with his characterization of the Florida law, I don't know what to think.  

On 6/9/2021 at 2:45 PM, jimd909 said:

I guess that's one way to get around the draconian law in Florida.  Don't want to show proof of being vaccinated...here's a bill for testing.

https://cruiseradio.net/royal-caribbean-unvaccinated-cruisers-fees-restrictions/

Great!!

One has to wonder if there was a $1000 testing cost charged to each anti-vaxxer...how many would drop their excuses in 10 seconds flat..

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Great!!

One has to wonder if there was a $1000 testing cost charged to each anti-vaxxer...how many would drop their excuses in 10 seconds flat..

Not everyone that hasn’t been vaccinated is an anti-vaxxer.  Stay classy.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Great!!

Hopefully people aren't making decisions based on a cruise. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Great!!

Royal is going to have to decide very quickly if they are trying to cater to a vaccinated or un-vaccinated crowd. This trying to please everyone walk the line approach is only going to hurt more than help.

If you want a ship with as many vaccinated people as possible, just make the ship 95% like the other lines and make a mask-free experience. Lean into the demographic and make an experience they want.

If you want a ship with families and a mix of vaccinated and un-vaccinated people, then don't try to charge an arm & leg for a covid test as a discouragement. Lean into the demographic and make as safe a cruise as you can allowing unvaccinated people to sail.

I think they way they are approaching this, they are just going to discourage everyone.

5 minutes ago, sm3ds said:

Have they officially said that? 

The CDC has officially said that. If the ship is not certified to sail 95% sailings, then masks and social distancing rules apply ship-wide.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html

Exception to that is they are allowed to designate areas of the ship that are for vaccinated-only but then that creates all new issues (2 classes of people on the ship, how to track and identify, adults who are vaccinated can't be in those areas with their un-vaccinated kids, etc) Unless the lines want to try and over-police things, everyone will be treated equal which means masks everywhere.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jrapps said:

Royal is going to have to decide very quickly if they are trying to cater to a vaccinated or un-vaccinated crowd. This trying to please everyone walk the line approach is only going to hurt more than help.

If you want a ship with as many vaccinated people as possible, just make the ship 95% like the other lines and make a mask-free experience. Lean into the demographic and make an experience they want.

If you want a ship with families and a mix of vaccinated and un-vaccinated people, then don't try to charge an arm & leg for a covid test as a discouragement. Lean into the demographic and make as safe a cruise as you can allowing unvaccinated people to sail.

I think they way they are approaching this, they are just going to discourage everyone.

Problem is, this would put RC into a cruise cancel position and then have to write millions in checks.

RCs driver is revenue. They hope to entice everyone possible.