How much could Royal charge for the Covid tests and you would still sail and pay it?

Royal to charge for Covid Test: How much will you pay?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. How much could Royal charge for the Covid tests and you would still sail and pay it?

• I would cancel before paying anything
    • $50 ($100 per person 7 day cruise)
    • $100 ($200 per person 7 day cruise)
    • $150 ($300 per person 7 day cruise)
    • $200 ($400 per person 7 day cruise)
    • $250 ($500 per person 7 day cruise)
    • I will pay anything!! Let me on the ship!

5 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Big deal Fain is going to charge those naysayers for a couple of tests. How does he propose to enforce the additional protocols? The crew is hard pressed to handle chair hogs. Now they’ll be expected to ensure the unvaccinated wear their masks and maintain social distancing? Or will we all be forced to abide by those protocols even if we are vaccinated? Or will they just look the other way and hope for the best?😳

Enforcing chair hogs is different than enforcing the protocols. Chairs hogs aren’t going to affect their bottom line. If protocols aren’t enforced there is a potential risk of an outbreak thus possibly affecting their bottom line. I think they will be looking for violators.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, coldflame said:

Even if true, which remains to be seen, if it's too pricey, you could get a test on your own 2 days before and they're charging $15 or so at my local Quest labs. That's equally acceptable.

How do you know Royal will accept it? I doubt they will.

3 hours ago, RFerrington said:

I really don't care what it costs as long as it is not a nasal swab.  We won't get that.  If they will allow a cheek swab or a saliva test, we're good.  No way we're doing a nasal swab though.  Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Since I never had a test I’m curious why you won’t get a nasal swab. I heard they are painful. Is that why?

9 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

This post is for onboard medical care, what is being discussed here is testing as a requirement for the unvaccinated to board the ship

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Stay safe out there and Sea ya on the Sea, Judy

5 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Enforcing chair hogs is different than enforcing the protocols. Chairs hogs aren’t going to affect their bottom line. If protocols aren’t enforced there is a potential risk of an outbreak thus possibly affecting their bottom line. I think they will be looking for violators.

My point is how is the staff going to be able to monitor who is and is not vaccinated? And then have to confront a pax who doesn’t conform to the protocol. If anyone unvaxed has to wear a mask, there is no way crew members can monitor that. They’re busy enough as it is. It’s just Fain’s way of making it sound like they are taking precautions, albeit ones that can’t be enforced. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jerseygirl3 said:

My point is how is the staff going to be able to monitor who is and is not vaccinated? And then have to confront a pax who doesn’t conform to the protocol. If anyone unvaxed has to wear a mask, there is no way crew members can monitor that. They’re busy enough as it is. It’s just Fain’s way of making it sound like they are taking precautions, albeit ones that can’t be enforced. 

There been posts on the boards with links on the RCCL job board with duties described as doing monitoring. Maybe they hire extra security types. Just speculating. Then again, might not if the costs are high.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Since I never had a test I’m curious why you won’t get a nasal swab. I heard they are painful. Is that why?

I've had a nasal swab test and it was no big deal -- not painful.  People imagine it's worse than it really is.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I found it not to be painful or even uncomfortable.  We had to have one to fly back to US from the Dominican Republic.  It was very quick and easy.  

Sherri🙂

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jrapps said:

If the objective is to discourage (which that party IS conjecture at this point) then they would not accept your test result and force you to pay for a new one.

If they trust a piece of paper to confirm you were vaccinated, they will have to trust a piece of paper you tested negative within 48 hours of sailing too.

• Like 1

Just now, coldflame said:

If they trust a piece of paper to confirm you were vaccinated, they will have to trust a piece of paper you tested negative within 48 hours of sailing too.

Just because that is what you want doesn't mean it what they HAVE to do. They are a private business, they can do anything (except require vaccine apparently)

If they want to charge you $500 for the privilege of taking their covid test, that is exactly what they will do. 

• Like 7

Not sure on how it will be on american cruises however for the staycations out of the UK RC have detailed a comprehensive testing everything you need to know. 

Vacinated guests (over 18) get a complimentary PCR test 72 hrs before sailing. 

Unvaccinated guests 2-17 years old get a complimentary rapid antigen test at the terminal.

Its on their healthy sail centre ready to cruise. 

9 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Well, the discomfort is certainly one thing but not the major problem.  We just prefer not to have a foreign object inserted into our noses and jammed up near our brain.  There are options...so hopefully we will be able to utilize another format.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

The going rate for a PCR test is upwards of $150, and with the cruise ship markup I would imagine this is $200+

I think the cruise lines are going to require the COVID tests will be accepted and administered by their own medical staff.  Just like bringing your own liquor aboard is forbidden, outside or 3rd party tests won't be allowed.  It will turn into a "service fee" (i.e. very profitable) for the cruise lines.

The price?   Who knows?  But, I think you can be certain it won't be cheap.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I think the cruise lines are going to require the COVID tests will be accepted and administered by their own medical staff.  Just like bringing your own liquor aboard is forbidden, outside or 3rd party tests won't be allowed.  It will turn into a "service fee" (i.e. very profitable) for the cruise lines.

The price?   Who knows?  But, I think you can be certain it won't be cheap.

I just checked at work and the cost to us with testkit, salaries, overhead is over $350.

• Like 2

Just now, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

I just checked at work and the cost to us with testkit, salaries, overhead is over $350.

Wow.

You know, if the goal really is to discourage, and the cost also marked up to offset what it will cost to do all those "complimentary" tests for kids under 12, I will not be surprised to see the test be in this range.

1 hour ago, RFerrington said:

Well, the discomfort is certainly one thing but not the major problem.  We just prefer not to have a foreign object inserted into our noses and jammed up near our brain.  There are options...so hopefully we will be able to utilize another format.

Had 2 tests less then 10hrs apart. First was really uncomfortable but the Second one, WOW, after first already irritated. Even couple days later still hurt and inflammation felt like they'd left Cotton up there... Hey could been an Anal Swab that one Countries known to do.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, coldflame said:

Even if true, which remains to be seen, if it's too pricey, you could get a test on your own 2 days before and they're charging $15 or so at my local Quest labs. That's equally acceptable.

Right now there is a lot of state, federal and insurance reimbursement for the tests, which won't exist on the ships. But the  cruise line has to factor in the costs of buying the equipment for the relatively small number of people they will be testing.

Just now, ArthurUSCG said:

Right now there is a lot of state, federal and insurance reimbursement for the tests, which won't exist on the ships. But the  cruise line has to factor in the costs of buying the equipment for the relatively small number of people they will be testing.

Yeah, the tests on ship would cost them even more to perform than those on land. I would expect the costs for all the tests done would be equalized so the tests at the beginning and end of the cruise are the same cost

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sjb317 said:

I found it not to be painful or even uncomfortable.  We had to have one to fly back to US from the Dominican Republic.  It was very quick and easy.  

Sherri🙂

That's been my experience also.  It's really not bad, and not as intrusive as some seem to think.  I find a throat swab (like for strep) to be more bothersome.

15 hours ago, RFerrington said:

I really don't care what it costs as long as it is not a nasal swab.  We won't get that.  If they will allow a cheek swab or a saliva test, we're good.  No way we're doing a nasal swab though.  Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Why is that?  If it's done right it doesn't hurt and some places will even let you do your own deep well swabbing!  

Sorry just saw your post answering that.  They don't poke it THAT far up.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 2