How far is LAX to the Island Princess pier?

We are doing a Canal cruise on the Island Princess next May. We will be turning in a rental car at the airport and I'm wondering how far it is to the ship.

Posted (edited)

I haven't sailed from that port but here's the port address as listed on the Princess website.  

Los Angeles World Cruise Center, 100 Swinford St, San Pedro, CA 90731

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/cruise-ports-and-hotels/

You can do a simple Google Map search from LAX to that address; my results showed 19.7 miles or 31 minutes.

Edited by Paula_MacFan
  • Thanks 1

It's basically 20 miles depending on which terminal...I've done it on Uber for about $40, but that all depends on demand...

LGB  is only slightly closer--about 16 miles...Any preference for LGB is NOT based on distance, rather on dealing with a much smaller airport than the massive, busy LAX...However, there is a VERY much smaller selection of flights on fewer airlines to or from fewer places at more infrequent times from LGB...

Depending on who the rental car company is, there may be opportunities to drop off in San Pedro, where the WCC is.

Also, the OP won't be at LAX. None of the car rentals are onsite. I would NOT go to the airport to get an Uber, just call it to the location where you drop the car. Uber is a hassle at LAX these days.

• Like 1

If coming in the day of your cruise have you looked at the Princess transfer?

They pick you up at LAX and drop you at the pier, then after your cruise either back in CA. or if canal to FL. they take to to the airport.

We have never had any issue with these Princess transfers and other than waiting for a full bus at the end it can save time and money.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 5:14 AM, latebloomer56 said:

If coming in the day of your cruise have you looked at the Princess transfer?

They pick you up at LAX and drop you at the pier, then after your cruise either back in CA. or if canal to FL. they take to to the airport.

We have never had any issue with these Princess transfers and other than waiting for a full bus at the end it can save time and money.

As Scott pointed out above, the OP is NOT arriving at LAX that day...they are returning a rental car...to a lot which will be NEAR, but not at, LAX...There is zero reason to shuttle from there to the LAX terminal area...and the zoo that can be...just to grab a ride...even (or, especially) from a Princess bus...An Uber can come pick them up directly from the rental car lot, avoiding any tack-on airport fees...and they'll avoid figuring out where at LAX to meet a Princess bus as well as waiting for it to fill up...It likely won't save them any money...and, certainly, wouldn't save the any time...likely cost them a whole lot more.  Best shot is to merely summon an Uber from the rental car lot direct to the pier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I agree with Scott. It would be better for the OP to drop the car off in San Pedro. 

A long while ago, I was rental car shopping, and found out Enterprise has a location a few blocks away from the cruise terminal. (But I'm sure others have as well.)  

Hope rsail203 reads this before they finalize anything. 😎

Edited by Vic The Parrot
Forgot something

Thank you everyone. Enterprise is way too expensive for a LAX to San Pedro booking, but I got a better price for Avis, dropping off at 249 E Ocean Blvd, Long Beach. That's the closest they have to San Pedro. I see on Mapquest that it's only 6 miles to the port, so I can take a taxi or Uber. This seems like the best way, so thanks again.

• Like 1