Would you cruise out of Florida if the sailing was allowing more than 5% un-vaccinated?

On 6/10/2021 at 7:25 AM, SargassoPirate said:

100 percent vaccinated cruises for me.  The unvaccinated can stay home.  Cruising is a privilege, not a right.

We're with you on that.

NO SHOT - NO SHIP !    🛳️

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 6/10/2021 at 8:37 AM, L454S said:

Agree with above....get on with life as usual. If somebody gets sick on the sailing, treat it like Noro. Send them to their room, it's NOT a big deal.

Noro virus does not carry the mortality that Covid does. Btw, in a typical year, 45% of Americans take the flu vaccine. That’s approximately the same percentage that are fully vaccinated as of today. On our Royal cruise last year, 82 passengers tested positive for Influenza A. Imagine if that happens with Covid, which is much more transmissible, especially the newer variants. 

• Like 2

No, especially with the attitude of many the unvaccinated people on these boards.  They refuse to recognize the fact that their "personal" decision may have an effect on everyone around them, but they either deny this or don't care.  I wouldn't even trust them to report symptoms because they wouldn't want to have to quarantine.  Basically they are denying the reality of the consequences of their decision, but I bet a lot of them complain that people don't take responsibility for their actions nowadays.  Ironic, isn't it?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DWBirdman said:

Sorry, that ignores the question. If this is as easily contagious and transferable as advertised and no one can naturally be immune, then how does only one person in a family contract it? How does the remainder of the family test negative?

https://www.immunology.org/news/immunity-and-covid-19-what-do-we-know-so-far

ongoing.

Is it better to gain immunity naturally or through vaccination?

The only way to get naturally acquired immunity would be through infection with the SARS-CoV-2 virus that causes the disease. When infected, you become infectious to other people around you and can spread the disease. Infection poses a serious risk to your health, potentially making you very ill and causing long-term health effects. Vaccination allows you to build up immunity in a safe and controlled way without becoming ill with COVID-19 and passing it to others. Vaccines decrease your chance of developing COVID-19 and reduce how unwell you become if infected.

Vaccines are capable of stimulating a better immune response than the natural infection. It is hoped that vaccines for COVID-19 will provide protective immunity for at least as long as natural immunity or longer, which is why you will still be offered the vaccine even if you’ve had COVID-19 in the past. It is likely that, in a significant proportion of the population, the vaccine will induce more effective and longer lasting immunity than that induced by natural infection. Hence it is recommended that everyone take the vaccine so that if your immunity after disease is absent or low, it can be boosted.

Edited by jerseygirl3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DWBirdman said:

Sorry, that ignores the question. If this is as easily contagious and transferable as advertised and no one can naturally be immune, then how does only one person in a family contact it? How does the remainder of the family test negative?

Most of the time this happens, it is because they have taken proper precautions after the diagnosis, and by chance had not had close enough interaction for long enough to catch it.  However, while they have not found any natural immunity, there are people who are more or less likely to be infected.  It is based on the viral load they are exposed to.  For many viruses they have done human challenge test to determine the range needed, but because this is possibly deadly to any particular person and there is no clear rescue path, they decided that human challenge tests would be unethical.  The only test that I have seen planned was in England, but I do not know if they went forward with it.

• Like 2

To answer the question of this thread- NO. I was stuck on a ship when this all started in March, 2020. We weren’t confined to our cabins but the experience was DIFFERENT, not atrocious but one that I would prefer not to repeat.

It seems that Royal is doing this because of their family clientele and most of the unvaccinated would be children not yet able to be vaccinated. Yesterday, JAMA released the results of a study that compared symptoms and viral load in children and adults with SARS-CoV-2. Those with symptoms had higher virus loads than those without so, I guess the good news for cruising is that asymptomatic people would be less problematic; however, the study also found that viral load was the same in children and adults. A spreading event could occur quite easily without the unvaccinated following various health protocols (which might be difficult for kids). Therefore, vaccinated cruisers are important for me.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/fullarticle/2780963

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Basketball wife said:

To answer the question of this thread- NO. I was stuck on a ship when this all started in March, 2020. We weren’t confined to our cabins but the experience was DIFFERENT, not atrocious but one that I would prefer not to repeat.

It seems that Royal is doing this because of their family clientele and most of the unvaccinated would be children not yet able to be vaccinated. Yesterday, JAMA released the results of a study that compared symptoms and viral load in children and adults with SARS-CoV-2. Those with symptoms had higher virus loads than those without so, I guess the good news for cruising is that asymptomatic people would be less problematic; however, the study also found that viral load was the same in children and adults. A spreading event could occur quite easily without the unvaccinated following various health protocols (which might be difficult for kids). Therefore, vaccinated cruisers are important for me.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/fullarticle/2780963

Actually Royal only changed from vaccinated to unvaccinated after DeSantis said he would not allow them to ask for proof of vaccination. They caved to the politics. NCL, Carnival and Celebrity are calling his bluff and still mandating 95% must be vaccinated, which was Royal’s original plan. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Actually Royal only changed from vaccinated to unvaccinated after DeSantis said he would not allow them to ask for proof of vaccination. They caved to the politics. NCL, Carnival and Celebrity are calling his bluff and still mandating 95% must be vaccinated, which was Royal’s original plan. 

Technically Celebrity went around the law.  It still is to be determine will NCL and Carnival do the same thing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrMarc said:

Are you really saying getting COVID is no big deal or in any way similar to norovirus?  This is a perfect example of why I would prefer a 100% vaccinated cruise.    There is a question of trusting those around you if there are unvaccinated people onboard.  I wouldn't mind if I knew the unvaccinated people were based in reality and respected the rights of the people around them, but that is not going to happen.

MrMarc,
 My husband read that Royal Caribbean (parent company of Celebrity) said that if anyone on board the ship is found to be Covid infected, that the ship will return to port of origin. He doesn't remember where he saw it; I'm trying to research that now and will post here.
Now unvaccinated people -------- Is that fair to the 95% of cruisers who have been vaccinated? 
NO SHOT -  NO SHIP !  🛳️

• Like 1

FOUND IT !

NOTICE: For U.S. cruises and guests: Prior to sailing, please consult all applicable U.S. Centers for Disease Control travel advisories, warnings, or recommendations relating to cruise travel, at www.cdc.gov/travel/notices. If a certain threshold level of covid-19 is detected onboard the ship during your voyage, the voyage will end immediately, the ship will return to the port of embarkation, and your subsequent travel, including your return home, may be restricted or delayed. For cruises and guests worldwide: Health and safety protocols, guest conduct rules, and regional travel restrictions vary by ship and destination, and are subject to change without notice. Due to evolving health protocols, imagery and messaging may not accurately reflect onboard and destination experiences, offerings, features, or itineraries. These may not be available during your voyage, may vary by ship and destination, and may be subject to change without notice.

With sincere gratitude,

Lisa Lutoff-Perlo
President & CEO, Celebrity Cruises

Edited by alibaba1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Why did Celebrity keep it's mandate for 95 percent vaccination standard? Royal chose not to. Royal and Celebrity are under the same ownership.

21 minutes ago, alibaba1 said:

MrMarc,
 My husband read that Royal Caribbean (parent company of Celebrity) said that if anyone on board the ship is found to be Covid infected, that the ship will return to port of origin. He doesn't remember where he saw it; I'm trying to research that now and will post here.
Now unvaccinated people -------- Is that fair to the 95% of cruisers who have been vaccinated? 
NO SHOT -  NO SHIP !  🛳️

The CDC said what percentage of passangers it would take for them to end the cruise, I can't find or remember the percentage, but it was higher than I would have guessed.  But it's interesting that the judge stated "He noted that a passenger who contracts the coronavirus aboard a cruise ship has made “a private decision with a public consequence.”  Which is a point I have been trying to explain.

4 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

The celebrity ship determined those 2 cases were false positives. 

I have not seen this reported yet, maybe I missed it.  Can you provide valid links?

If a certain threshold level of covid-19 is detected onboard the ship during your voyage, the voyage will end immediately, the ship will return to the port of embarkation.

This is from Lisa Lutoff-Perlo
President & CEO, Celebrity Cruises

Don't you think it's up to the captain to turn the ship back to port for the safety of vaccinated cruisers on board? I feel very sorry for those who come from all over the world to deal with this issue. It's just a 30 min. drive south for us; and I'm certain that RCL will compensate; but the audacity of those unwilling to vaccinate.

NO SHOT ----   NO SHIP !    🛳️   🌴

• Like 4

11 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Good for NCL, Carnival and Celebrity for doing so and effectively thumbing their nose at the Governor!

11 hours ago, cscurlock said:

Technically Celebrity went around the law.  It still is to be determine will NCL and Carnival do the same thing.

Carnival will be following the same process as Celebrity for getting around the law: voluntary proof of vaccine status, a lottery of sorts for any unvaccinated spots, and reserving those spots for ineligible children (not the “I don’t wanna get vaccinated crowd”).  Legal gymnastics to get around the ban. 

9 hours ago, coaster said:

Why did Celebrity keep it's mandate for 95 percent vaccination standard? Royal chose not to. Royal and Celebrity are under the same ownership.

According to Richard Fain it was to allow more unvaccinated children on board, but then Michael Bayley came out later on Facebook saying all other US cruises from other US ports would be fully vaccinated.  We shall see. RCI is still going to discourage unvaccinated adults from cruising with lots of restrictions and additional testing and costs. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, MrMarc said:

No, especially with the attitude of many the unvaccinated people on these boards.  They refuse to recognize the fact that their "personal" decision may have an effect on everyone around them, but they either deny this or don't care.  I wouldn't even trust them to report symptoms because they wouldn't want to have to quarantine.  Basically they are denying the reality of the consequences of their decision, but I bet a lot of them complain that people don't take responsibility for their actions nowadays.  Ironic, isn't it?

Should not be surprising. No different than the decisions made by a lot of people during this pandemic to flout health protocols not recognizing or caring that their decisions could have negative consequences for others. It’s an easy transition to the world of vaccines. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Catnip said:

I have not seen this reported yet, maybe I missed it.  Can you provide valid links?

Actually a woman on Facebook said her mother is onboard that sailing and she told her the Captain announced that a second PCR test was negative. She said the original antigen test was positive. Not sure if they is verifiable. 

Edited by jerseygirl3

10 hours ago, coaster said:

Probably Royal is counting on Carnival cruisers to flip over to them because Carnival is saying all cruisers must be fully vaccinated. So Royal can pick up those with kids who can’t sail onCarnival. Just what we want. Lots of unvaccinated kids onboard. 🤦‍♀️

Edited by jerseygirl3