Jump to content

Recommended Posts

There is a 'Dixons Tax Free' onboard Britannia, maybe others in the fleet. So I'm sure there will be iPads or other tablets for sale. But you're right - it's a perfect opportunity to try and nudge some tech naysayers to catch up. Because we all know that this is the way it's headed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kalos said:


Lets all goes well .I know my phone would wind me up with .."the device wasn't able to connect

to internet due to connection error" and then as to rub salt into the wound ,it goes on to ask ...

 " would you like to go online to search for a solution".:classic_unsure::classic_wacko:

 

Looking forward to the feedback of what happens though :classic_smile:
 

 

Kalos, I am not technically minded, but I am hoping you will be pleasantly surprised. Someone may come along and correct me. I want to say it’s an intranet service not internet.  An internal system on the ship.  You would sign in once put your devices in airplane mode so you don’t accidentally use expensive ship WiFi, and remain good to go whenever you need it. 
on Princess it was very easy

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

Kalos, I am not technically minded, but I am hoping you will be pleasantly surprised. Someone may come along and correct me. I want to say it’s an intranet service not internet.  An internal system on the ship.  You would sign in once put your devices in airplane mode so you don’t accidentally use expensive ship WiFi, and remain good to go whenever you need it. 
on Princess it was very easy

Good explanation!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TheGinBoy said:

There is a 'Dixons Tax Free' onboard Britannia, maybe others in the fleet. So I'm sure there will be iPads or other tablets for sale. But you're right - it's a perfect opportunity to try and nudge some tech naysayers to catch up. Because we all know that this is the way it's headed.

We are off to Weymouth on Monday. A week in a mobile home. Without their app and a smartphone we wouldn't be able to book anything. Same for restaurants book on line easy. Phone for a booking, no chance. The world is moving towards tech only.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

Celebrity Eclipse 2010 the first time I ever held an iPad , brand new product used as a menu in their restaurant Quisine. From that moment I knew I would buy one, would have bought it there and then if available.

 

I’ve not looked, but do P&O sell tablets onboard?  If not I’m thinking now is the time to do so.  So many on here saying they have no need for a smart phone, which I understand.  They may however not have discovered the benefit of “tablets”. User friendly and no need for contracts that put people off.  There could be access to free books both written and audio on board, especially at the moment when handling books may not be allowed, in that setting people may embrace the technology thinking they would use it for holidays.  
thinking of tablets cheaper than iPads, even though I have no experience of them. 

 

I am one of those people and bought a tablet for reasons such as this . Got a very good deal as they are price matching with other outlets and they search the price for you (in store). Ended up with Samsung Galaxy A7 ,:classic_love: 

 

 

Edited by kalos
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

Kalos, I am not technically minded, but I am hoping you will be pleasantly surprised. Someone may come along and correct me. I want to say it’s an intranet service not internet.  An internal system on the ship.  You would sign in once put your devices in airplane mode so you don’t accidentally use expensive ship WiFi, and remain good to go whenever you need it. 
on Princess it was very easy

 

I was only messing and am aware ,used to meddle with Radio Hams and the like :classic_smile:

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, kalos said:

 

I am one of those people and bought a tablet for reasons such as this . Got a very good deal as they are price matching with other outlets and they search the price for you (in store). Ended up with Samsung Galaxy A7 ,:classic_love: 

 

 

We got a tablet for that stuff, but rarely take it out of the house anymore. The smart phones are faster and more convenient. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

Oooh so rather than wandering round selling speciality dining reservations, the wait staff could sell tablets, so we can book ourselves 🤣

As long as they aren't flogging indigestion tablets.🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, TheGinBoy said:

There is a 'Dixons Tax Free' onboard Britannia, maybe others in the fleet. So I'm sure there will be iPads or other tablets for sale. But you're right - it's a perfect opportunity to try and nudge some tech naysayers to catch up. Because we all know that this is the way it's headed.

Dixons have announced the closure of all their duty free land based stores and two P&O concessions.  I assume that probably means that they will no longer be on board.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last time we were on Ventura there was a Dixons on board.  They sold iPads.  Prices seemed good.  Can't remember whether or not they had other brands.  I think the price included a day's free on-board wifi in order to set it up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

Dixons have announced the closure of all their duty free land based stores and two P&O concessions.  I assume that probably means that they will no longer be on board.

Oops.  I should have read your post before posting.  Thanks for the update.

Edited by Son of Anarchy
Link to post
Share on other sites

Technology in most instances is great but some of the hospitality apps are a pain IMO.

Last week while away we went for a pub lunch, there was a National Trust car park next door that didn't take card payment and we didn't have sufficient coins. An app had to be downloaded and it was quiet complex to set up and pay for parking, especially in bright sunlight.

Once that had been done we went to the pub where you had to download their app and enter name and payment details, finally 25 minutes after parking up we were ready to order from our table through the app as you could not order at the bar or waiter service. The thing was that the pub staff had closer and more prolonged interaction with customers helping them set up and touching their phones than just taking orders at the table.

Obviously once downloaded or setup on a cruise that it is for the duration but I don't really fancy (in the long term) scrolling through food menus, wine menus etc on a small phone screen rather than the experience of pondering over a paper menu in my hand (which can take quite a long time in my case as I often change my mind several times before and during ordering!).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pink-belle said:

Kalos, I am not technically minded, but I am hoping you will be pleasantly surprised. Someone may come along and correct me. I want to say it’s an intranet service not internet.  An internal system on the ship.  You would sign in once put your devices in airplane mode so you don’t accidentally use expensive ship WiFi, and remain good to go whenever you need it. 
on Princess it was very easy

 

Almost spot on.  

Pop your devices into "Airplane Mode", which will disable/turn off Bluetooth, WiFi and mobile phone access. Then switch WiFi back on and connect to the ship's WiFi network. 

I assume you will then access the free P&O internal ship web pages to do all the "Apptastic" things we are expecting.  I am also guessing that at some point to access this information you will need to enter either booking numbers, or some form of identification details, so the system knows it's you it's talking to. 

However this information will be totally different to what you would enter if you were buying WiFi access to connect to the off-Ship outside World.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, sammyh25 said:

 

  I am also guessing that at some point to access this information you will need to enter either booking numbers, or some form of identification details, so the system knows it's you it's talking to. 

However this information will be totally different to what you would enter if you were buying WiFi access to connect to the off-Ship outside World.

The Intranet works the same as my old works company near enough which was works id card

number etc .. P&O say ......Do I have to set up an account on My Holiday?

No; you do not need to set up an account in order to use My Holiday. To log in, you will need your pass number (the last six digits of the barcode on your cruise card), your first and last name and your date of birth. Tick 'remember me' when you log in and My Holiday will remember your details for next time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Last time we were on Ventura there was a Dixons on board.  They sold iPads.  Prices seemed good.  Can't remember whether or not they had other brands.  I think the price included a day's free on-board wifi in order to set it up.

On Ventura Jan/Feb 2020, I was interested in buying a Fitbit onboard and setting it up straight away as we onboard for 5 weeks. The salesman wasn’t very helpful. I asked whether he would set it up for me as I didn’t have a wi-fi package, and he basically refused. For me, the whole point of buying something techy in store, and that goes for any shop, is being able to use the expertise otherwise you might as well buy online. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

On Ventura Jan/Feb 2020, I was interested in buying a Fitbit onboard and setting it up straight away as we onboard for 5 weeks. The salesman wasn’t very helpful. I asked whether he would set it up for me as I didn’t have a wi-fi package, and he basically refused. For me, the whole point of buying something techy in store, and that goes for any shop, is being able to use the expertise otherwise you might as well buy online. 

When I buy something new and complicated, no problems. I ask the kid next door.,🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ardennais said:

On Ventura Jan/Feb 2020, I was interested in buying a Fitbit onboard and setting it up straight away as we onboard for 5 weeks. The salesman wasn’t very helpful. I asked whether he would set it up for me as I didn’t have a wi-fi package, and he basically refused. For me, the whole point of buying something techy in store, and that goes for any shop, is being able to use the expertise otherwise you might as well buy online. 

You don't need wifi to set up a fitbit, you need bluetooth or a dongle, it can be paired to a phone/tablet/laptop. However the principle is the same if you don't know how to do it. He maybe didn't know how to do it himself, but they should understand the goods they are selling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

You don't need wifi to set up a fitbit, you need bluetooth or a dongle, it can be paired to a phone/tablet/laptop. However the principle is the same if you don't know how to do it. He maybe didn't know how to do it himself, but they should understand the goods they are selling.

I subsequently bought one online and set it up at home, no problem. The man on Ventura just wasn’t interested! And as a result, I didn’t once stop to browse in his store for the next four and a half weeks! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zap99 said:

When I buy something new and complicated, no problems. I ask the kid next door.,🤣

Good plan. I always used to ask the most disruptive pupil in the class to take charge of the overhead projector - made him (and it was almost always a him) feel important and kept him quiet as he wouldn’t want me to give the remote to anyone else! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Good plan. I always used to ask the most disruptive pupil in the class to take charge of the overhead projector - made him (and it was almost always a him) feel important and kept him quiet as he wouldn’t want me to give the remote to anyone else! 

Just before I retired I upgrades my personal phone to a smartphone. A young lady in the call centre asked me ' what are you trying to do '....copy all my phone numbers, pictures and files from the work phone to my new one. Give it here. Tap tap, tap. All done. I have set you up on Microsoft my drive as well. You can now access them all from any computer...did I feel stupid ?. Not at all, just realistic.😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zap99 said:

Just before I retired I upgrades my personal phone to a smartphone. A young lady in the call centre asked me ' what are you trying to do '....copy all my phone numbers, pictures and files from the work phone to my new one. Give it here. Tap tap, tap. All done. I have set you up on Microsoft my drive as well. You can now access them all from any computer...did I feel stupid ?. Not at all, just realistic.😁

It sometimes pays to act stupid! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...