What do people wear on Holland ships?

We have cruised mostly Princess but also a couple Norwegian, Royal Caribbean and Carnival.  We really like dressing casual (shorts, jeans and t shirts) when on the ship.  What do people normally wear on Holland? Does it tend to be dressier? Do they have formal nights like on other cruise lines or is dinner always a formal event?

Here is the HAL information from Know Before You Go.

Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/ beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. On Gala Nights in fine dining restaurants, collared shirts and slacks are required for gentlemen. For ladies, elegant dresses, skirts, or slacks are all acceptable.

Jeans, shorts and T-shirts are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

• Like 1

Except in the dining room I wear jeans, shorts and other casual wear.  In the dining room most people wear slacks and a nicer shirt and on gala night something a bit more stylish.  I have never felt uncomfortable with my casual fashion style.  

• Like 1

It certainly seems more casual than 20-30 years ago, which suits us fine.   There will be people in quite nice cocktail dresses and suits (an occasional tux) on the few formal nights -- now called gala nights ---- and in some of the specialty restaurants.   Some leave those clothes on for the entire evening, as they attend various shows or music venues.  

I commonly wear black pants and a silky top and sandals on formal nights and never feel out of place.   DH wears slacks, sport jacket and nice shirt and tie.   (note that Holland requests men wear slacks and a collared shirt, so a jacket is not even requested).  We don't own dressier clothes.  We've been on 7-11 day cruises and there are 2 gala nights.

On other nights, I wear crop pants and a casual top/polo shirt.  DH wears khaki pants with a polo shirt or Tommy Bahama type shirt, if in the Caribbean.   On the first and last nights, I do see a few people wearing shorts.  Some at early dining haven't receiving their luggage yet or have clothes packed.  However, I've heard a server quietly remind someone that pants are requested after the first night.  

The philosophy seems to be to wear what you're comfortable in that is neat, clean, not revealing or an offensive slogan on a t shirt.

During the day, shorts/t shirts are fine

• Like 1

If you are headed for Alaska on HAL, expect to see flannel shirts, pullover sweaters, jeans, and hiking shoes onboard.  Bring your bathing suit because all of the ships have heated indoor pools.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, quack2 said:

Holland has a strict requirement for wooden shoes on its cruises.

And tulip boutonnieres.........

• Haha 1

I wore a tux on my very first cruise to Alaska, but over the years I saw them less and less and I don't think I saw any on my last sailing, but I think it would have been way too much for a Hawaii trip. 

I think HAL is more about what you won't ever see like shorts in the dining room, ripped clothing, etc.  We take all our meals in the MDR and even formal night outfits aren't as dazzling as I remember them to be, however everybody was well put together.

Maybe this will put it into perspective.  On my last HAL cruise, I wore a casual sport coat with no tie on Gala nights, and I felt overdressed.  That's how casual the vast majority of the ship was dressed. 

But that said, this was an Alaska cruise.  I've noticed AK cruises tend to be more casual.   

17 hours ago, iancal said:

From our perspective no different than Princess, RCI, etc

That's consistent with my experience on comparable itineraries, but I would say that the average was a little spiffier on HAL than on other lines, although equally casual.

• Like 1