Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

It’s really looking like a false positive, which is common when you test asymptomatic people

The person onboard for a points related travel blog reported that the two people were retested and came back positive again.  She was on an excursion with them two days earlier, so was also quarantined with priority testing (hers came back negative).
 

No idea what test was done, but what do you think the likelihood of false positives for these same two people would be on repeat tests?  (Presuming the reporting is accurate, which is not a given in my experience).  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

The person onboard for a points related travel blog reported that the two people were retested and came back positive again.  She was on an excursion with them two days earlier, so was also quarantined with priority testing (hers came back negative).
 

No idea what test was done, but what do you think the likelihood of false positives for these same two people would be on repeat tests?  (Presuming the reporting is accurate, which is not a given in my experience).  

I would think they truly were retested before all this became the news of the day.  Or I hope so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sept10dsm said:

I would think they truly were retested before all this became the news of the day.  Or I hope so.

I would hope so too, but you never know

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

 

 

All I did was click the QUOTE BUTTON.  WHO SAID THAT THEN?

At the time, answering this question only required one to scroll up two posts and read.  But to answer, I believe you quoted Sept10dsm, not me, but I think that material may have been removed by moderators.

 

Also, you chose to edit the posts, which can remove the proper quote formatting and attribute the quoted text to the wrong person, especially if you are reacting to a quoted portion within a post, and not the person whose post you chose to respond to. 

 

IMHO it is poor form to not put the full context off a quote by cherry picking a single sentence, out of context, nor to be certain you are quoting the right person.  I could type anything and attribute it to you as a quote, which isnt very nice, but is supported by the editor. To avoid this I tend to bold or highlight the sentence within an intact quote.  Removing context is usually an attempt a spin doctoring.

 

So my recommendation is to quote the post you are reponding to, not a person who has also quoted that post, since the quote within a quote is removed by your editing it down to the one sentence you wanted, but the wrong person is left as who was being quoted.  FYI, using ALL CAPS, is considered online yelling, and is also poor form, but doesnt stop people without much to say, but who want to say it loud. Perhaps you knew that?

 

Have a nice afternoon.

Edited by Pizzasteve
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

The person onboard for a points related travel blog reported that the two people were retested and came back positive again.  She was on an excursion with them two days earlier, so was also quarantined with priority testing (hers came back negative).
 

No idea what test was done, but what do you think the likelihood of false positives for these same two people would be on repeat tests?  (Presuming the reporting is accurate, which is not a given in my experience).  

I wouldn’t trust the positive second antigen test. A molecular PCR test is needed as confirmation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I wouldn’t trust the positive second antigen test. A molecular PCR test is needed as confirmation. 

Thanks for your opinion.  Hopefully these two get the more accurate test soon, in case they don’t need to quarantine afterall

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

Removing context is usually an attempt a spin doctoring.

Or, perhaps, removing extraneous and irrelevant text.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

The person onboard for a points related travel blog reported that the two people were retested and came back positive again.  She was on an excursion with them two days earlier, so was also quarantined with priority testing (hers came back negative).
 

No idea what test was done, but what do you think the likelihood of false positives for these same two people would be on repeat tests?  (Presuming the reporting is accurate, which is not a given in my experience).  

No

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

At the time, answering this question only required one to scroll up two posts and read.  But to answer, I believe you quoted Sept10dsm, not me, but I think that material may have been removed by moderators.

 

Also, you chose to edit the posts, which can remove the proper quote formatting and attribute the quoted text to the wrong person, especially if you are reacting to a quoted portion within a post, and not the person whose post you chose to respond to. 

 

IMHO it is poor form to not put the full context off a quote by cherry picking a single sentence, out of context, nor to be certain you are quoting the right person.  I could type anything and attribute it to you as a quote, which isnt very nice, but is supported by the editor. To avoid this I tend to bold or highlight the sentence within an intact quote.  Removing context is usually an attempt a spin doctoring.

 

So my recommendation is to quote the post you are reponding to, not a person who has also quoted that post, since the quote within a quote is removed by your editing it down to the one sentence you wanted, but the wrong person is left as who was being quoted.  FYI, using ALL CAPS, is considered online yelling, and is also poor form, but doesnt stop people without much to say, but who want to say it loud. Perhaps you knew that?

 

Have a nice afternoon.

Are you an English Lord....

 

Poor form and all, so improper.

 

😱😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Or, perhaps, removing extraneous and irrelevant text.

Fair enough, but do you want someone quoting you as saying something wrong and the opposite of your opinion?  Anyway back to the topic...

Edited by Pizzasteve
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Pizzasteve said:

Fair enough, but do you want someone quoting you as saying something wrong and the opposite of your opinion?  

Almost expected here at CC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2021 at 12:48 PM, soremekun said:

Bound to happen.  Good thing was it was contained and not everyone's cruise is ruined.

Imagine how many people would have been ill if RC didn’t require vaccinations or testing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2021 at 1:13 PM, cruiserchuck said:

 

I assume the odds that they are both false positives are long also.  Maybe they both received the less effective J&J vaccine, or came down with one of the newer variants.  

The vaccinations aren’t 100% effective.  But if you do get it, it’s not so bad as to be hospitalized or cause death.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2021 at 1:30 PM, harkinmr said:

Very unusual.  Both in the same cabin. Were they really vaccinated? Would be interesting to find out. Why were they tested? If they were asymptomatic what would be the impetus behind testing in the first place? Makes me think there is more to this story AND that starting with the next sailing they will be testing all vaccinated passengers at the port. 

It’s probably a couple who live together.  So, the odds of both of them being sick at the same time is not surprising.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2021 at 3:30 PM, harkinmr said:

There is no absolute proof at this time that prior infection provides long term immunity. 

According to articles I have read, and confirmed by my daughter who’s a Nurse Practitioner, getting the virus only gives you immunity for about 3 months.  You’re not permanently immuned.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, iuki said:

According to articles I have read, and confirmed by my daughter who’s a Nurse Practitioner, getting the virus only gives you immunity for about 3 months.  You’re not permanently immuned.

 

Initially it was thought 3 months but newer research is showing natural immunity can last much longer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kilkoyne said:

 

Initially it was thought 3 months but newer research is showing natural immunity can last much longer.

Good to hear.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, iuki said:

According to articles I have read, and confirmed by my daughter who’s a Nurse Practitioner, getting the virus only gives you immunity for about 3 months.  You’re not permanently immuned.

That has been updated.  

 

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/how-long-does-immunity-last-after-covid-19-what-we-know

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/lasting-immunity-found-after-recovery-covid-19

 

 

Edited by jean87510
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Are you an English Lord....

 

Poor form and all, so improper.

 

😱😂

You actually read that entire diatribe on recommendations for proper posting?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, iuki said:

Imagine how many people would have been ill if RC didn’t require vaccinations or testing.

On a ship requiring vaccinations? Probably next to none.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, iuki said:

It’s probably a couple who live together.  So, the odds of both of them being sick at the same time is not surprising.

They are not sick according to the article. Did you read something different?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried to keep up with all of the threads dealing with C 19 and too many and sometime quite verbose.  Wondering was the crew tested or the ones who came in contact with these 2 gentlemen and if any results.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, iuki said:

According to articles I have read, and confirmed by my daughter who’s a Nurse Practitioner, getting the virus only gives you immunity for about 3 months.  You’re not permanently immuned.

Wrong. That is old information.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, iuki said:

According to articles I have read, and confirmed by my daughter who’s a Nurse Practitioner, getting the virus only gives you immunity for about 3 months.  You’re not permanently immuned.

This has been updated.  Even NIH (I don't know how to add link) stated back in Jan (no mention on news!) that they hoped the vaccine showed as much immunity as natural recovered (I"m paraphrasing but I was actually shocked to see they had a study)  They've found not only antibodies but T cells that hold the memory to fight the illness.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...