Grand class, just a ponder

Anyone hazard a guess as to why CCL/Princess decided to release the Star and Golden to P&O and keep the Grand? The Grand being the first and oldest (1998) Grand class ship. The only thing I can think of is it has the latest refurb. of the three in 2019?

• Like 1

No idea... but loved the Golden spent 100+ night on her...

In my thought a good sized ship....  but it is a dollar and cents thing..

maybe in hide sight with covid they might not have... ??

But at least they have kept the Sapphire and Diamond

Cheers Don

1 hour ago, Papa Yoda said:

My 1st guess would be that P&O didn't want it.  2nd guess would be that of the 3 it was already fully MedallionClass.

Papa,

‘I think your right about both. 👍

Tony

2 hours ago, Papa Yoda said:

My 1st guess would be that P&O didn't want it.

That is my thought also. Why take the oldest one, the one without a center passenger stairway and with smaller closets in most staterooms?

49 minutes ago, caribill said:

That is my thought also. Why take the oldest one, the one without a center passenger stairway and with smaller closets in most staterooms?

A lot of Princess posters do not like the ISLAND and I get that.  But I would not be keen on going on the GRAND and would rather be ISLAND if no other choice.

• Like 1

To avoid confusion, Star and Golden have moved to P&O Australia, not to P&O which is a different company/Cruiseline.

Maybe P&O Australia, didn’t want the Grand, as she may have less of a lifespan left so the cost of the rebranding refurb was uneconomic.

7 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

A lot of Princess posters do not like the ISLAND and I get that.  But I would not be keen on going on the GRAND and would rather be ISLAND if no other choice.

I have had several cruises on the Grand and they were all good experiences.

As the first ship in its class, there turned out to be design errors which were corrected on the following builds. But those design errors were, overall, just minor inconveniences

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, caribill said:

I have had several cruises on the Grand and they were all good experiences.

As the first ship in its class, there turned out to be design errors which were corrected on the following builds. But those design errors were, overall, just minor inconveniences

Okay... maybe they have fixed all of the plumbing issues I have read about.  That said, if it was an itinerary we wanted and it was the only ship doing it, I would read recent reviews and decide.  I made an informed decision when we sailed ISLAND around S.A. for 60 nights and it was fine.

8 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Okay... maybe they have fixed all of the plumbing issues I have read about. 

I have not been on the Grand since those plumbing problems.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

We are of the complete opposite opinion, we would take the Grand any day over the Island.  "Different Strokes for Different Folks!"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

To avoid confusion, Star and Golden have moved to P&O Australia, not to P&O which is a different company/Cruiseline.

Maybe P&O Australia, didn’t want the Grand, as she may have less of a lifespan left so the cost of the rebranding refurb was uneconomic.

P&O Australia & Princess are part of CCL’s Holland America Group with former Princess president Jan Swartz now the group’s president. A common complaint by my Australian cruise friend is that P&O Australia gets Princess’ worst ships. Maybe she’s attempting to reverse that trend for Australians by not transferring the oldest Princess ship that had the popular Skywalkers removed due to structural concerns. And with only the Grand being MedallionClass of these 3 original Grand-Class ships that saves money by not adding it to the Star & Golden. Also if anyone who might be like me & would make the Grand their last choice for a Princess ship we have other choices. For P&O Australia there are currently only 3 ship options…the former Dawn, Golden & Star.

We enjoy driving to the Port of LA for cruises but not on the Grand which is assigned there during the Northern Hemisphere’s Winter 2021/2022 season. During the same time period of time in 2022/2023 the Grand will be cruising in Oz & NZ.

But I agree with LACruiser88…different strokes for different folks when if comes to choosing a ship. 👍

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

We enjoy driving to the Port of LA for cruises but not on the Grand which is assigned there during the Northern Hemisphere’s Winter 2021/2022 season. During the same time period of time in 2022/2023 the Grand will be cruising in Oz & NZ.

But I agree with LACruiser88…different strokes for different folks when if comes to choosing a ship. 👍

I am just the opposite of you, thrilled to have the Grand ported out of San Pedro.  I love the Golden/Grand because of their passenger size and Window Suites.  Would have preferred the Golden, but not going to split hairs.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I am just the opposite of you, thrilled to have the Grand ported out of San Pedro.  I love the Golden/Grand because of their passenger size and Window Suites.  Would have preferred the Golden, but not going to split hairs.  

If I had experienced a WS like you’ve enjoyed I’d likely also feel differently about the Grand. ☺️

And between Golden’s Skywalkers and Grand’s Alfredo Pizzeria, even with the pizza only menu would still prefer Alfredo’s. 🍕🍺🍷

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Okay... maybe they have fixed all of the plumbing issues I have read about.  That said, if it was an itinerary we wanted and it was the only ship doing it, I would read recent reviews and decide.  I made an informed decision when we sailed ISLAND around S.A. for 60 nights and it was fine.

I have cruised on the Grand when it was brand new, from Istanbul to Barcelona in l998; plus about 10 times since it was home ported in San Francisco, plumbing problems are very minimal from my experience.  Love the Grand Class ships, glad the Ruby has been repositioned to be home port in San Francisco.  I would cruise the Grand again it has all the features I like on Princess.  Went on the Coral on a Panama Canal cruise in 2018; while many folks love the Coral, sister to the Island who has been remolded and few like the changes - I prefer the Grand over the Coral Class.   Everyone likes different features.  I was last on the Grand in Feb 2020.  At this point I am more than ready to cruise again and am booked on the Ruby for Jan 2022. 

• Like 1

Having sailed many days on the Golden and Star, the  Grand Class is my favorite Princess class. The Royal Class, while it has its charms, is to big for my taste and the loss of the wheelhouse and explorer lounge is a deal breaker for me. 
 I have not sailed on the Grand yet, but currently have several booked.  I had the same ponder as the O.P.  - why did Princess keep the oldest ship?

in any event, I  really looking forward to the “Great Return” on the Grand in January.

1 hour ago, pris993 said:

Love the Grand Class ships, glad the Ruby has been repositioned to be home port in San Francisco.

So, I agree with you about Ruby, but is technically Crown Class I believe (Crown, Emerald, Ruby).  Yes, based somewhat on original Grand Class.  In between there is Caribbean Class with one ship, but I consider that one most like the Crown Class.  I do appreciate the new features in newer Royal Class ships and they don't seem so large once get used to them.  But my favorites are pretty much the CB + the three Crown Class ships for size, layout, features.  Big enough to have most of the good stuff, but not so huge.  Royal Class is about as large as I'd want to sail on I think. 

On 6/11/2021 at 10:11 PM, martinitime1 said:

Anyone hazard a guess as to why CCL/Princess decided to release the Star and Golden to P&O and keep the Grand? The Grand being the first and oldest (1998) Grand class ship. The only thing I can think of is it has the latest refurb. of the three in 2019?

We were on the Star in 2020 for our Hawaii cruise. Never saw a ship with SO much rust! We were in a Club Class mini suite. Cabin was good sized. Bed was horrible & the Sofa bed had the vinyl all cracked. Cruise itself was nice though Grand Class food leaves much to be desired when compared to Royal class. Knew about the transfer was going to happen. Hopefully the ship will be more refurbished. We do have a Circle the Caribbean trip early March 2023. Again in a club class minisuite. Also have a Sky suite booked for near the same time on the Equinox. Cabins are comparable in size. Two differences: The Equinox trip is 10 days v/s 14 on the Emerald Princess. Dining on on Celebrity puts us in Laminae, which is leaps & bounds over what Princess offers.  We'll only do one of the trips. Hopefully some of you can tell us how the Emerald fares compared to the Equinox. We do expect the food on Equinox to be much better quality & we do get Butler service, but we do love the staff overall on Princess. Just wish the food was better for those in better the higher end cabins.

2 hours ago, rbtan said:

We were on the Star in 2020 for our Hawaii cruise. Never saw a ship with SO much rust! We were in a Club Class mini suite. Cabin was good sized. Bed was horrible & the Sofa bed had the vinyl all cracked. Cruise itself was nice though Grand Class food leaves much to be desired when compared to Royal class. Knew about the transfer was going to happen. Hopefully the ship will be more refurbished. We do have a Circle the Caribbean trip early March 2023. Again in a club class minisuite. Also have a Sky suite booked for near the same time on the Equinox. Cabins are comparable in size. Two differences: The Equinox trip is 10 days v/s 14 on the Emerald Princess. Dining on on Celebrity puts us in Laminae, which is leaps & bounds over what Princess offers.  We'll only do one of the trips. Hopefully some of you can tell us how the Emerald fares compared to the Equinox. We do expect the food on Equinox to be much better quality & we do get Butler service, but we do love the staff overall on Princess. Just wish the food was better for those in better the higher end cabins.

The quality of the food varies from ship to ship depending on who is the executive chef of the ship.

For a long time the Grand Princess had the best executive chef in the fleet. Last time I was on the Grand Princess the usual executive chef was on leave and the food was not quite as good as it had been previously.

Only Princess knows which executive chef will be on each ship once sailing starts up.

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

So, I agree with you about Ruby, but is technically Crown Class I believe (Crown, Emerald, Ruby).  Yes, based somewhat on original Grand Class.  In between there is Caribbean Class with one ship, but I consider that one most like the Crown Class.  I do appreciate the new features in newer Royal Class ships and they don't seem so large once get used to them.  But my favorites are pretty much the CB + the three Crown Class ships for size, layout, features.  Big enough to have most of the good stuff, but not so huge.  Royal Class is about as large as I'd want to sail on I think. 

Thanks for the info on classes.  I have cruise the Grand, Golden. Star. Sapphire and Ruby - I was unaware that Ruby was classified differently than the Grand.   I cruised on the Royal once, did a TA, so was on board for 16 nights.  It reminded me too much of the Celebrity ships, we are elite on Princess and Celebrity.  Have decided prefer Princess over Celebrity.  I am not a fan of copy cat ship designs, liked better when cruise retained their own design vs copying one another which seems to have happened more in the past 20 years.  Very little difference now between Princess, HAL, Celebrity in the new builds.   I do like the Ruby a lot, we did a 7 day in Caribbean when new, actually did a 7 day on Celebrity at same time btb... comparing the two lines.  That was when we really decided we liked Princess more than X.  We repeated the Ruby on a TA a year or so later.  We have over 60 cruises on 9 different lines.  Have only repeated a few ships besides the Grand (Grand was easy to repeat when home ported in San Francisco, I just have to take a taxi to the ship).  Besides the Grand, we repeated 

HAL Westerdam, Cunard Queen Victoria, Princess Old Sky Princess, when it was part of Sitmar and then when bought by Princess.  I agree would not want to cruise on anything bigger than the Royal class.   We started our cruising with RCCL, old Song of America, when RCCL started building bigger, we checked out a ship in SF, got on board with a travel agent pass in late 1980s.  Don't recall the name of the ship, looking at the typical balcony or ocean view cabin, noticed the cabin was very small, so much so beds seemed sub standard, very short in length,  we never went back to RCCL.  I will try to avoid the Royal class as long as I have other Princess options.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pris993 said:

I agree would not want to cruise on anything bigger than the Royal class. 

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Royal Class is about as large as I'd want to sail on I think. 

Yet the next class of Princess ships will hold about 4300 passengers.

10 minutes ago, caribill said:

Yet the next class of Princess ships will hold about 4300 passengers.

Statistically speaking the bigger the ship the more popular it is.  This is how Carnival Corporation and Crocodile Dundee think.

Regards John

2 minutes ago, john watson said:

Statistically speaking the bigger the ship the more popular it is.  This is how Carnival Corporation and Crocodile Dundee think.

Regards John

Right, everyone is hoping to be on a ship with even more passengers when visiting Alaska ports, Caribbean ports, etc.

The bigger the ship, the less ports it can go to. But they can all do a Princess Cays, St. Maarten and St. Thomas itinerary.