Australian cruise ship ban extended

Australia's cruise ship ban has been extended by three months till September 17th 2021. It is our winter now so hope this is the last extension and we can have cruise's sailing by our springs 🤞🤔 

• Like 2

The ban is the same as before and the wording is ,
Cruise ships entering Australian waters . It doesn’t say anything about ships operating in Australian waters and it can be amended at any time.

But we won’t be seeing any ships before Christmas.

Hopefully by the end of the year they will let Australians travel again and let tourists in. Some say, Australia intends not to open it's borders until late next year, this is absolutely insane. They should rather focus on getting the vaccination program going, which so far is very slow. I don't think that making regional lock downs every time there is a new COVID case but not letting people travel in and out of the country when Vaccinated is the solution.

Looksl ike, if there will be a crusing season in the 2021/2022 it will be restricted to Australians only and itinararies might also be adjusted.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

Hopefully by the end of the year they will let Australians travel again and let tourists in. Some say, Australia intends not to open it's borders until late next year, this is absolutely insane. They should rather focus on getting the vaccination program going, which so far is very slow. I don't think that making regional lock downs every time there is a new COVID case but not letting people travel in and out of the country when Vaccinated is the solution.

Looksl ike, if there will be a crusing season in the 2021/2022 it will be restricted to Australians only and itinararies might also be adjusted.

In our federal budget,treasury predicted our borders will be closed until mid 2022.

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

In our federal budget,treasury predicted our borders will be closed until mid 2022.

Now, that's "Neanderthal," in my opinion.  Could you please convey that to the powers to be.  Thank you.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Auntiemomo said:

Now, that's "Neanderthal," in my opinion.  Could you please convey that to the powers to be.  Thank you.

A waste of time until election time.

Our government is over protective,some of the silly laws we have you just shake your head.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

A waste of time until election time.

Our government is over protective,some of the silly laws we have you just shake your head.

We have the same here, although it's getting better, but Canada is almost as bad as AUS.

Mmmm non political... we  are also sending vacancies to other countries... we also standing tall and taking on democracy......

Happy day 😇

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I do hope that fully vaccinated foreigners with proof of antibodies are allowed into Australia by Jan 2022

Edited by drsel
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, drsel said:

I do hope that foreigners are allowed into Australia by Jan 2022

Unfortunately that is an almost certainty of being a no go, except for a possible travel bubble opening up which will only be with the likes of Singapore and they've mentioned maybe Taiwan I think and maybe a couple of others - I think even China was mentioned at one point!

We currently have a bubble with NZ that is going pretty well with only occasional interruptions due to a C19 outbreak.

UK / US / Europe is likely a long way off, at least mid 2022.

Without getting too political, as mentioned above, we have a federal election coming up ~ May '22 and it's unlikely things will change much before then, particularly as our vaccine roll-out has been very slow.

I still have some hope (probably futile) that we might get a limited RCI season down here.  

It would very likely be only for Aussie's though, maybe NZ'ers.

I am booked on Quantum out of Brisbane on a Queensland only cruise at the end of December.

Quantum is cruising in Singapore so wouldn't be too far to come if they think they could have some or all of the season down here.

It is looking pretty unlikely that the govt would allow ships to start again though - I don't think there's much appetite for it from most of the Aussie population unfortunately.

24 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Hermit Nation

Feel bad for folks down there.  

Don't. AUS and NZ's hermetic travel measures kept COVID deaths to near zero. They have seen very little loss of life compared to anyone else in the planet with 4, and less than 1 death per 100,000 respectively.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BecAus said:

UK / US / Europe is likely a long way off, at least mid 2022.

Without getting too political, as mentioned above, we have a federal election coming up ~ May '22 and it's unlikely things will change much before then, particularly as our vaccine roll-out has been very slow.

I still have some hope (probably futile) that we might get a limited RCI season down here.  

It would very likely be only for Aussie's though, maybe NZ'ers.

It is looking pretty unlikely that the govt would allow ships to start again though - I don't think there's much appetite for it from most of the Aussie population unfortunately.

Thanks for your detailed explanation.

so should I cancel my Aus cruises in Feb-Mar 2022?

Or wait for The Cruise lines to cancel them?

10 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

Hermit Nation

Feel bad for folks down there.  

10 hours ago, coldflame said:

Don't. AUS and NZ's hermetic travel measures kept COVID deaths to near zero. They have seen very little loss of life compared to anyone else in the planet with 4, and less than 1 death per 100,000 respectively.

I think most people are just pretty accepting of the strategy we have taken.

We've gone down the suppression route and on the whole it's been pretty successful.

Mostly we are living our lives as normal but no travelling internationally.

Sadly, there have been a few deaths but nothing like overseas.

Our news still reports every Covid case as there's so few of them.

Melbourne just had an outbreak (escaped out of hotel quarantine from an Aussie quarantining after returning home-this is how most/all of our outbreaks have occurred) and have just come out of a two week lock-down.

I wouldn't want to be the one in charge of making these decisions but on the whole, most Aussie's seem supportive of the stance we have taken.

I believe there are still ~ 36K Aussie's overseas who have registered their interest in wanting to return home and haven't been able to. I'm not sure they will do anything about opening the borders until that situation is sorted out - the optics would not be good I imagine if they are letting in foreigners before Aussie's who wish to can return.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, drsel said:

Thanks for your detailed explanation.

so should I cancel my Aus cruises in Feb-Mar 2022?

Or wait for The Cruise lines to cancel them?

It depends if you have NRD or refundable.  Most say wait till cruise line cancels but often you have to make final payment before they decide.

I'm in the same boat.  My deposits are NRD so at the moment I'm just sitting on them.

I'm booked on Ovation TP Hon-Syd in September.  I've known for months no way that comes with passengers, if it comes at all.  Qantas cancelled my flights a few months ago.  

The same cruise last year they cancelled on final payment day.  Unfortunately I'd already moved the deposit but I'm holding out on this one.  Final is 30 June but there are rumblings this will be cancelled soon so I'm waiting.  

Then I have Quantum out of Brisbane - Qld only cruise - on 29 Dec.  I will be so disappointed if this one cancels.  I have a great price on a GS (our first) and there is nothing comparable to L&S to even if they offer it so I will lose it.

I'm also booked on Ovation TP from Syd-Hon in April.  Should know by final whether that one goes - if she's not here by the end of the year then there obviously won't be a TP.

Basically, at the moment I'm just waiting. The not knowing is frustrating.

They've just extended the ban till Sept 17th so I expect RCI will update the website soon.

The question is whether they will cancel till Sept 17th or thru to Sept 30th which would probably cancel out my TP and I can get a refund on the deposit.

I really don't think we'll hear more than that at this stage.  I think we will have to wait till September to see  whether they extend the cruise ship ban another 3 months thru till December to find out whether they are going to start cancelling our cruise season and what RCI intends to do from there.

2 hours ago, BecAus said:

Most say wait till cruise line cancels but often you have to make final payment before they decide.

Australia may be the exception, they may cancel the whole season if the gov't extends the cruising ban and that is likely to be before final payment.

49 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Australia may be the exception, they may cancel the whole season if the gov't extends the cruising ban and that is likely to be before final payment.

I agree Biker - just a wait & see at the moment 

You would think there is probably some discussion / indications going on behind the scenes between Royal & the govt as to whether there is likely to be changes to the current status this year/early next year.

At some point Royal has to decide what they want to do with the ships if they’re likely not going to be allowed in.

I think there was talk on another thread of the possibility of ?Ovation maybe going to West Coast/LA?

If that happens then they’ll probably call the season down here.

I read elsewhere (completely unreliable source no doubt) that there was talk of Royal pulling out of Aus if this keeps up. I really don’t believe this, surely it’s a pretty lucrative market for them - in normal times but they may very likely decide that this coming Oct - April season just has way too many uncertainties for them & make other plans for this season  : (

1 hour ago, BecAus said:

I agree Biker - just a wait & see at the moment 

You would think there is probably some discussion / indications going on behind the scenes between Royal & the govt as to whether there is likely to be changes to the current status this year/early next year.

At some point Royal has to decide what they want to do with the ships if they’re likely not going to be allowed in.

I think there was talk on another thread of the possibility of ?Ovation maybe going to West Coast/LA?

If that happens then they’ll probably call the season down here.

I read elsewhere (completely unreliable source no doubt) that there was talk of Royal pulling out of Aus if this keeps up. I really don’t believe this, surely it’s a pretty lucrative market for them - in normal times but they may very likely decide that this coming Oct - April season just has way too many uncertainties for them & make other plans for this season  : (

We might get radiance and Quantam the second half of the coming season but I think ovation will stay there somewhere.

13 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

We might get radiance and Quantam the second half of the coming season but I think ovation will stay there somewhere.

definitely a possibility!

I bet it won’t help us out though in regards to my Quantum out of Brisbane 

I couldn’t see them not having a ship in Sydney, probably a Qu class ship. 

The NSW govt has been the most relaxed in regards to complete lockdowns verses locking down only the particular area/hotspot where the outbreak is rather than the whole state like they do here in W.A.

Originally we were on Qu out of Syd to NZ then she was redeployed to Brisbane & we were cancelled  

We rebooked on Qu on a Qld only cruise - tried to keep things a bit more simple rather than add NZ into the picture as well.

I can see us getting cancelled again for Quantum to go to Syd and maybe Radiance to Brisbane?

A wait & see..

Either way, I don’t see any way they let foreigners on to our shores till mid next year at the earliest?

I can see RCG only having 1 ship here in AU for the upcoming season, if any at all. If they do then my  guess will be Quantum will continue to operate in Singapore, and Radiance will replace Serenade in AU. 

The cruises will be AU but homeporting I am guessing Sydney. This is based on how NSW has handled the Covid cases over the last year and not closing down the state.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

So do you recommend that we sit tight and do nothing and wait for The Cruise lines to make the first move?

28 minutes ago, woodscruise said:

I can see RCG only having 1 ship here in AU for the upcoming season, if any at all. If they do then my  guess will be Quantum will continue to operate in Singapore, and Radiance will replace Serenade in AU. 

The cruises will be AU but homeporting I am guessing Sydney. This is based on how NSW has handled the Covid cases over the last year and not closing down the state.

If we have any ships this season?

But I want to give you a wild card,it’s way out there but I’ll give it to you anyway.

Wonder has the life boats on and the transponder is turned on.
That’s a sign it is way ahead of schedule .

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

If we have any ships this season?

But I want to give you a wild card,it’s way out there but I’ll give it to you anyway.

Wonder has the life boats on and the transponder is turned on.
That’s a sign it is way ahead of schedule .

It will be a good PR exercise if they routed her via AU for its delivery voyage to Asia, especially since it is not due to Asia till end of March.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, woodscruise said:

It will be a good PR exercise if they routed her via AU for its delivery voyage to Asia, especially since it is not due to Asia till end of March.

It’s a bit far fetched but I think Wonder be delivered by Christmas and that leaves a couple of months before it’s deployment in China.

• Like 1