A Canadian perspective on the impacts of being inflexible with cruise industry

Steelers36

"Despite all this, Canada has held fast to a blanket ban on cruise ships until at least February 2022. Regardless of the vaccination status of those aboard, “cruise vessels carrying more than 100 people are still prohibited from operating in Canadian waters,” according to Transport Canada."

It is understandable that Canada wants to protect its citizens from visits with passengers from a country which has had the most deaths in the world from a pandemic disease.

• Like 12

5 hours ago, caribill said:

"Despite all this, Canada has held fast to a blanket ban on cruise ships until at least February 2022. Regardless of the vaccination status of those aboard, “cruise vessels carrying more than 100 people are still prohibited from operating in Canadian waters,” according to Transport Canada."

It is understandable that Canada wants to protect its citizens from visits with passengers from a country which has had the most deaths in the world from a pandemic disease.

Yes, there was a level of paranoia here for a period of time over Americans, with some folks thinking that two steps over the border meant instant Covid-19, but decisions about opening border and such need to be in the here-and-now and be forward-looking and not simply based on the past.  I believe we now have a growing level of jealousy as the US opens up and - at least in Ontario - we are about the most locked-down jurisdiction between our two countries.  Ontario just started to re-open on Friday and the past two days have seen filled outdoor dining with demand far exceeding availability and huge lines at retail stores that just opened but can only have 15% capacity.  

• Like 1

It will be a shame if Canada's intransigence over a limited return to cruising versus the indomitable American spirit ends up with being bypassed altogether in future cruise seasons.

I hate to sound awful but I am totally okay with skipping Canada.  It is a pretty country been to BC many times but don’t feel welcome anymore.  Strange times 😔

• Like 3

Is it true that the Canadian government rejected the request to make technical stops with no passengers disembarking?

If so, with the benefit of hindsight, that decision looks like it could be bad long term. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'm Canadian and even I think of the Canadian port stops on Alaskan cruises as the "Ensanda stops" .

Edited by rodndonna
spelling
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Croooser said:

Is it true that the Canadian government rejected the request to make technical stops with no passengers disembarking?

If so, with the benefit of hindsight, that decision looks like it could be bad long term. 

Even if Canada allowed it, I understood that technical stops are not legal according to the PVSA.

Posted (edited)

The bottom line....Canada's covid death rate per million populaiton is sitting at 35 percent of the US and the UK numbers per million population.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, iancal said:

The bottom line....Canada's covid death rate per million populaiton is sitting at 35 percent of the US and the UK numbers per million population.

Agree. And may I note that only around 10% of our population is fully vaccinated at this point. With the more highly transmissible Delta variant spreading across the country,  now is not the time to open everything up to all and sundry.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, there was a level of paranoia here for a period of time over Americans, with some folks thinking that two steps over the border meant instant Covid-19, but decisions about opening border and such need to be in the here-and-now and be forward-looking and not simply based on the past.  I believe we now have a growing level of jealousy as the US opens up and - at least in Ontario - we are about the most locked-down jurisdiction between our two countries.  Ontario just started to re-open on Friday and the past two days have seen filled outdoor dining with demand far exceeding availability and huge lines at retail stores that just opened but can only have 15% capacity.  

Interesting how so called essential workers are allowed to traverse the border daily.  I'm not against that, but rather just wanted to show how inconsistent some policies are.  What's even more interesting is many of these workers are being exposed to the highest odds of contracting or spreading covid.  On an absolute basis, these are significant numbers, but because of the cause, they are ignored.  This is the policy in Detroit/Windsor.  I suspect it's similar for other border crossings.

• Like 1

Canada lost a very good and big customer, that hurts. It's the customers choice to shop elsewhere if they can get a better deal. That's how business works and cruising is a business. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, mom says said:

Agree. And may I note that only around 10% of our population is fully vaccinated at this point. With the more highly transmissible Delta variant spreading across the country,  now is not the time to open everything up to all and sundry.

Although by the time the Alaska cruises start in late July, the majority of Canada's population will likely be fully vaccinated - probably a higher percentage fully vaccinated than in the U.S. by that point.

Posted (edited)

My understanding is that Canada's first dose percentage actually exceeds that of Israel.

We have more vaccines than we have arms in our area.  Vaccine demand is the critical challenge-not supply.

Currently the areas with the worst covid stats in Canada are among the worst for vaccine hesitancy and/or anti  vaccers.  

Other countries have the same issue.  This is not  going to work well if one part of the country has 70 percent vaccinated while other parts struggle to reach 30 percent.  

We currently have a variant D outbreak in a hospital.  There are numerous fully vaccinated people who have contacted the D variant covid virus.

Edited by iancal

26 minutes ago, westcoaster said:

Although by the time the Alaska cruises start in late July, the majority of Canada's population will likely be fully vaccinated - probably a higher percentage fully vaccinated than in the U.S. by that point.

What is the probability that I can take the ferry from Seattle to Victoria in August in that Canadians are now vaxed?

11 minutes ago, Ombud said:

What is the probability that I can take the ferry from Seattle to Victoria in August in that Canadians are now vaxed?

I think pretty darn good.  All signs are border will be open well before August for fully-vaccinated.  And you won't have to quarantine.

3 hours ago, Croooser said:

The PVSA did not allow technical stops.

2 hours ago, ChutChut said:

I'm absolutely okay with skipping Canada. That extra day, etc. can be spent where I really want it - in Alaska.

But don't the Vancouver departures allow more time in Alaska if do it as a one-way?

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

But don't the Vancouver departures allow more time in Alaska if do it as a one-way?

Well of course but it's not a lot of extra time, on the order of hours, not even a half-day.

I haven't read too much into what they are proposing for the permanent change, but isn't the temporary amendment only taking into account the cruises that leave and return from the same US port (Seattle)? If this were permanent, it would eliminate the short stop in Victoria but wouldn't really affect Vancouver. Are they also looking at allowing ships to sail from one US port and disembark in another? The Vancouver one ways are necessary for land tours/cruisetours so if that part of the law wasn't being amended then they would still continue to sail from Vancouver. Additionally, there are numerous lines that offer 7 day roundtrip from Vancouver, which they choose to do in addition to the roundtrip Seattle - I'm guessing they wouldn't be affected either? Just trying to put it all in perspective - and really hoping that we get our ships back here soon!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I think pretty darn good.  All signs are border will be open well before August for fully-vaccinated.  And you won't have to quarantine.

Thanks. I'm coming into Seattle early hoping to still get to Victoria for a day (despite Majestic Princess not stopping there)