A Canadian perspective on the impacts of being inflexible with cruise industry

Steelers36

5 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

It's an old out dated law that needed review anyway. If skipping Canada means an extra day in one of the Alaskan ports I'm all for it. 

That works for me! 👍

Eliminate the Canadian & Mexico port stops required by PVSA to send that $2.7 that’s going to Canada to USA ports instead. Hopefully that can be accomplished without losing the other benefits of PVSA shared by the highly experienced & educated career ship’s chief engineer…chengkp75.

Although not sure if Seattle currently has the infrastructure to handle many more cruise ships. It would be easier & possibly less expensive for passengers to use Seattle.

I love cruising to east coast Canadian destinations for their beauty however I don’t like the PVSA requirement making it mandatory to go there.

• Like 2

We have an Alaska cruise booked for May of 2022. It leaves out of Vancouver. Cruising out of Vancouver allows one to take a one-way cruise to Hawaii - something that's not possible from the US due to the PVSA.  We have friends who live in BC who love to cruise. We hope that Canada opens up to cruising again. Personally, I sincerely doubt that the current waiving of the PVSA will be a permanent thing.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ombud said:

Thanks. I'm coming into Seattle early hoping to still get to Victoria for a day (despite Majestic Princess not stopping there)

This summer? You will not be able to cross the border into Canada.

On 6/13/2021 at 8:30 AM, Steelers36 said:

It will be a shame if Canada's intransigence over a limited return to cruising versus the indomitable American spirit ends up with being bypassed altogether in future cruise seasons.

Honestly, I don’t think that a country trying to keep its citizens safe is a bad thing. We are still in the middle of a world wide pandemic with new variants emerging every week! If everyone had taken this virus seriously from the beginning, we would be having a different conversation at this point.

That being said, I doubt that Canada will be bypassed as a cruise destination in the future. For many, it would be their first chance to visit the country that is our neighbor and has many interesting places to see. I am lamenting missing my back to back cruises from Sydney to Vancouver last year. Hopefully soon. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, caribill said:

This summer? You will not be able to cross the border into Canada.

I wouldn't jump to that.  Signs are that border will be open for fully vaccinated folks soon.  IIRC, her cruise is not until August.

42 minutes ago, Emelda1967 said:

Honestly, I don’t think that a country trying to keep its citizens safe is a bad thing. We are still in the middle of a world wide pandemic with new variants emerging every week! If everyone had taken this virus seriously from the beginning, we would be having a different conversation at this point.

Yes, that was fine in the beginning, but we are coming out of it now and these cruises are for fully vaccinated people.  IDK where you are in FL, but FL has, in general, had a relatively good experience (all the deaths are quite sad of course).  Last Winter, we were in SW FL where things were much better than at home.  I don't see where new variants are coming out every week.  We are where we are however.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, that was fine in the beginning, but we are coming out of it now and these cruises are for fully vaccinated people.  IDK where you are in FL, but FL has, in general, had a relatively good experience (all the deaths are quite sad of course).  Last Winter, we were in SW FL where things were much better than at home.  I don't see where new variants are coming out every week.  We are where we are however.

At 600,000+ deaths and counting, eighteen months later, the United States has yet to be surpassed by third world countries regarding absolute numbers of deaths. But I guess that depends on how and if you are looking at the entire pandemic picture in the United States. Zoonotic diseases were the focus of my work in the federal government so my interest may be a little more in depth.

Yes, things are slowing down and are definitely better but we are not out of the woods. There are millions of people who have chosen to exercise their right to not be vaccinated, increasing numbers of young adults and children being hospitalized for COVID-19, and seven states were reporting significantly higher numbers of new cases this past week. Who knows what long term effects having  had COVID-19 will be on any patient? That winter visitor surge brought a whole new group of variants to Florida but Florida has so sanitized its data that we don’t even know what’s valid and what is not. There are variants still being identified world-wide and evaluated that may not have hit the media.

Remember that people come from countries allowed to travel to the United States and can join a cruise. CDC only requires a negative test 1-3 days prior to arrival in the U.S. and theoretically requires/recommends a second test 3-6 days after travel, quarantining until test results. The states are supposed to enforce quarantines and any additional testing based on state requirements, of which FL has none. Cruise lines are right to impose restrictions, especially here in FL.

We are united in the thought that we all want to be able to travel safely. And we, as cruisers, are fortunate to be able to even have this discussion. I wish everyone safe and happy journeys!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2021 at 10:39 AM, Steelers36 said:

Florida case numbers and positivity rates were never better than Ontario or GTA's except for the weeks Florida just didn't post anything. Cruises are also not now fully vaccinated. 95% is not 100%

At present being in one of the areas with the highest positivity rates in Canada the variant was brought in by 3 international persons and 2 persons from a northern mine. While the GTA was flooded with vaccines and we took Toronto people into our hospitals because theirs were overrun, we sit anxiously waiting for vaccine shots. We are not out of it yet.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CanuckCurlers said:

Florida case numbers and positivity rates were never better than Ontario or GTA's except for the weeks Florida just didn't post anything. Cruises are also not now fully vaccinated. 95% is not 100%

At present being in one of the areas with the highest positivity rates in Canada the variant was brought in by 3 international persons and 2 persons from a northern mine. While the GTA was flooded with vaccines and we took Toronto people into our hospitals because theirs were overrun, we sit anxiously waiting for vaccine shots. We are not out of it yet.

Sorry, but I ran the numbers and areas of FL were better than our area in GTA.  I am not talking about Miami-Dade.  And I am not talking about anytime when FL might not have had stats.  And if you want to start questioning their stats, you may as well question all the stats.  Just saw an article recently where it was suggesting actual deaths in Canada are higher than stated.  Whatever, it is a sad thing no matter the number.

IDK where you are from as profile doesn't state, but it is true that ON did not always get the appropriate quantities of vaccines to the right locations.  IDK your ages and your local situation, but our cup runneth over with vaccine shots these days. 

I would look more at case trends and hospitalization.  Positivity rates in ON whipsaw around depending on how many tests they run.  Testing tailed off, so positivity percent went up.  If they were still testing 50K+ per day, our positivity rate would be negligible.  As it is, we are under 2 cases per 100K.  They keep talking about and wringing hands over Delta (India) variant, but the stats reveal far more Alpha (UK) cases still outnumbering Delta.  Go figure. 

If as low as 95% vaccinated worries you, then find another vacation or stay home until eradication as there will never be 100% vaccinated in general population.

Edited by Steelers36

19 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

If as low as 95% vaccinated worries you, then find another vacation or stay home until eradication as there will never be 100% vaccinated in general population.

That's what I'm trying to decide. It's the ventilation component that is my hurdle.  DH has always been a much more dedicated cruiser than I. We have a cruise booked February 2022 and trying to decide my bottom line risk tolerance. ( We are in Waterloo and not getting to open up like the rest of the province.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 3:28 PM, Steelers36 said:

Sorry, but I ran the numbers and areas of FL were better than our area in GTA.  I am not talking about Miami-Dade.  And I am not talking about anytime when FL might not have had stats.  And if you want to start questioning their stats, you may as well question all the stats.  Just saw an article recently where it was suggesting actual deaths in Canada are higher than stated.  Whatever, it is a sad thing no matter the number.

IDK where you are from as profile doesn't state, but it is true that ON did not always get the appropriate quantities of vaccines to the right locations.  IDK your ages and your local situation, but our cup runneth over with vaccine shots these days. 

I would look more at case trends and hospitalization.  Positivity rates in ON whipsaw around depending on how many tests they run.  Testing tailed off, so positivity percent went up.  If they were still testing 50K+ per day, our positivity rate would be negligible.  As it is, we are under 2 cases per 100K.  They keep talking about and wringing hands over Delta (India) variant, but the stats reveal far more Alpha (UK) cases still outnumbering Delta.  Go figure. 

Actually, I think there is sufficient evidence that Florida is, for lack of a better term, manipulating its numbers by omission or otherwise. Florida is currently not counting non-resident numbers, although they occur within the state and impact the bottom line, in an attempt to appear less risky as a vacation destination. Florida IS counting the thousands of non-resident vaccinations given in early 2021…go figure. The Delta variant is here and is being found nation-wide in prominently in deaths in non-vaccinated people. 

COVID surges are occurring in non-vaccinated people regardless of location. I would like to see 100% vaccinated cruise ship passengers,  but 95% is better than nothing.

• Like 2

So it was announced today at the Victoria cruise port that we would open our ports to cruise ships as of November 1st. This really doesn't change much other than the fact that cruise companies know we will be back for next season and they can plan accordingly.

For the person wondering about the ferry from Seattle we really don't know yet. I would suggest that when the Victoria BC to Washington state ferries start up we will know. There are 3 routes Seattle to Victoria via the Victoria Clipper (passenger only) the Port Angeles to Victoria via the Coho (car and passenger). There is also the Sidney to Anacortes route which is a Washington state ferry but that was on hold even before Covid because they didn't have a vessel available for the route.

We are hopeful that the border will open soon to vaccinated travelers (maybe as soon as 21 Jul 2021?) and that these routes will start up shortly after.

10 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

At the Port of Vancouver, they're not ruling out cruise lines running (probably short coastals) in November, but the certainty for 2022 is the key.

Interesting!  Hope you get on a cruise ship soon!