First time to New York ….. advice please

Funbobby68

15 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

It has its character, but at the end of the day Brooklyn is to Manhattan as the Staten Island ferry is to Cunard's QM2.

I worked in Staten Island for two months in 1959 and took the ferry back and forth every day.At that time it was wonderful.
I have never been on the Queen Mary 2 and therefore cannot offer a comparison.

On 6/15/2021 at 10:37 PM, George C said:

There are lots of great restaurants in midtown, also in February I rather deal with Uber or Lyft rather than dealing with the subway that they are not familiar with . 

I would think that tourists do not go to the same restaurants as native New Yorkers .

On 6/15/2021 at 11:30 PM, Funbobby68 said:

Thanks all for the over whelming response, glad we have some time to plan

we the four of us are all 50 or just over , but all in good ish shape so walking a bunch is no issue , 

wife’s a bit nervous about being out and about after dark , I’m more geared to embrace the night life , is there any where We should avoid 

In 2007 my Elementary school had a reunion in Brooklyn.However,everyone who attended who did not live in NY chose to stay at hotels in Manhattan.

I was the reunion organizer and picked the restaurants for breakfasts ,lunches and dinners as well as all the activities.In the evenings we took taxi’s because nobody wanted to walk the streets and that was 14 years ago.

I would suggest that you call the NYC office of Tourist Information.They can be very helpful.

14 hours ago, GTJ said:

I lived in Ridgewood in the late 1980s, so many of my ancestors lived in Ridgewood years ago, and today my wife's cousin lives there. My observation of the changes are (1) diminution of the once-strong German population and commerce--today there's only Rudy's for bakery, Morscher's for butcher, and Zum Stammtisch for restaurant--largely replaced by eastern European immigrants, primarily Polish, and (2) a remarkable hipster/rebel makeover on the Brooklyn side of the border, especially along Wyckoff Avenue between DeKalb Avenue and Flushing Avenue. Otherwise, this part of Ridgewood remains a relatively strong conservative area (along with Howard Beach and northeastern Queens) that has maintained its traditional built environment and strong family ties. Not an area that sees much tourism, certainly not from passengers on any visiting cruise vessels!

I have a friend who lives on Stanhope St.She has been a Ridgewood resident for about 30 years.My wife and I would often go shopping there as well as Glendale.One of the interesting things is on Sunday mornings seeing residents sweeping the sidewalks.

In the past we have had several friends living in Ridgewood and have spent a lot of time there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GTJ said:

I lived in Ridgewood in the late 1980s, so many of my ancestors lived in Ridgewood years ago, and today my wife's cousin lives there. My observation of the changes are (1) diminution of the once-strong German population and commerce--today there's only Rudy's for bakery, Morscher's for butcher, and Zum Stammtisch for restaurant--largely replaced by eastern European immigrants, primarily Polish, and (2) a remarkable hipster/rebel makeover on the Brooklyn side of the border, especially along Wyckoff Avenue between DeKalb Avenue and Flushing Avenue. Otherwise, this part of Ridgewood remains a relatively strong conservative area (along with Howard Beach and northeastern Queens) that has maintained its traditional built environment and strong family ties. Not an area that sees much tourism, certainly not from passengers on any visiting cruise vessels!

I lived in ridgewood from time I was born until late 1960’s but still would visit often    even after moving to Texas. My grandmother owned a brownstone on Menahan south of Cypress .  Definitely went to Zum Stammtisch , we normally visit every year and my buddies I grew up with would meet us in midtown, but a few years ago we had a couple of drinks in ridgewood so I could show my wife where I grew up , then we all had dinner at Zum Stammtisch. 

14 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Those that have the opportunity to stay in Brooklyn are very lucky now a days.

With Court and Smith Street, Montague St., 5th & 7th Avenue, a lot of cafes, boutiques, restaurants are popping up. The yuppies have moved in and brought up the area. I see a lot of them in Whole Foods and type of foods they buy.

If you come across on a TA on the QM2, you can easy spend your time around the Court and Smith St area and easily return to the ship happy.

My first apartment on my own was in carroll gardens on 2nd place, I also worked at A&S less than a mile away in IT. Did lots of drinking in Brooklyn Hights. 

• Like 1

Those that have the opportunity to stay in Brooklyn are very lucky now a days.

With Court and Smith Street, Montague St., 5th & 7th Avenue, a lot of cafes, boutiques, restaurants are popping up. The yuppies have moved in and brought up the area. I see a lot of them in Whole Foods and type of foods they buy.

If you come across on a TA on the QM2, you can easy spend your time around the Court and Smith St area and easily return to the ship happy.

As I have posted on CC numerous times I lived in Brooklyn nearly 60 years.

Brooklyn Heights has always been a wonderful area to walk in.I went to stores and restaurants on Court St as well as Montague going back as far as I can remember.

The areas that have been yuppified are Bed Stuy ,Crown Heights and parts of East Flatbush.

16 minutes ago, George C said:

I lived in ridgewood from time I was born until late 1960’s but still would visit often    even after moving to Texas. My grandmother owned a brownstone on Menahan south of Cypress .  Definitely went to Zum Stammtisch , we normally visit every year and my buddies I grew up with would meet us in midtown, but a few years ago we had a couple of drinks in ridgewood so I could show my wife where I grew up , then we all had dinner at Zum Stammtisch. 

My first apartment on my own was in carroll gardens on 2nd place, I also worked at A&S less than a mile away in IT. Did lots of drinking in Brooklyn Hights. 

I worked in Korvettes and had friends in Carroll Gardens .

We had a friend living south of Cypress but I cannot remember the street.The priest at her church was Father Adolph and at her wedding he kept on disappearing to get the Mets scores.

In 1994 we bought a TV at an appliance store on Putnam Ave and had the TV for more than 20 years.My friend Frank who lived on the same street met us there and arranged the purchase.He said people referred to him as the Mayor of Ridgewood.

21 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We even before it closed went to Niederstein as a primary German cuisine.

There's some photographs of the old restaurant on the walls of the Arby's that replaced it. 😦

7 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have a friend who lives on Stanhope St.

I resided on Grandview Avenue, on the corner of Stanhope Street, across the street from Grover Cleveland H.S.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GTJ said:

I resided on Grandview Avenue, on the corner of Stanhope Street, across the street from Grover Cleveland H.S.

We were definitely neighbors my last residence in ridgewood was on Himrod St a block north of Grover Cleveland my brother and sister went there . I graduated from bushwick . We moved there in 1968 I believe then moved to Kew Gardens in the 70’s ( my parents) , my sister married the boy next door . 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, George C said:

We were definitely neighbors

But at different times . . . I was there in the late 1980s. I would walk down Himrod Street to Metropolitan Avenue and the Carvel located there. My mother and her siblings were graduated from Bushwick H.S. (they lived on Putnam Avenue on the Brooklyn side).

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, GTJ said:

There's some photographs of the old restaurant on the walls of the Arby's that replaced it. 😦

We were one of the few that ate there before it closed. It was very sad.

It was like one of the funerals that were held there by the many families that held the tradition to come after the local burial rites. So sad that it was because of the family dispute that ended it's wonderful life. I am so blessed to have a copy of one of the menus.

We also use to buy the stollen they sold at Christmas Time as a tradition.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

As I have posted on CC numerous times I lived in Brooklyn nearly 60 years.

Brooklyn Heights has always been a wonderful area to walk in.I went to stores and restaurants on Court St as well as Montague going back as far as I can remember.

The areas that have been yuppified are Bed Stuy ,Crown Heights and parts of East Flatbush.

Also the area around the Williamsburg Bridge by Peter Lugers has really changed with all the closed stores into cafes and restaurants. We use to like to smell the spice factory when we went Lugers. Now gone and turned into Condo's.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, George C said:

Oh how I remember A&S store. The 8th Floor at Christmas Time. We use to come downtown by train. We either stores for lunch at the Chuck Full of Nuts for the Date Nut Bread & Cream Cheese Sandwiches. Or the Frank Stay on the corner with a Orangeade Drink. Further towards Gage's the Horn and Hardart Automat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Oh how I remember A&S store. The 8th Floor at Christmas Time. We use to come downtown by train. We either stores for lunch at the Chuck Full of Nuts for the Date Nut Bread & Cream Cheese Sandwiches. Or the Frank Stay on the corner with a Orangeade Drink. Further towards Gage's the Horn and Hardart Automat.

Aaah!  The Automat — the best deal when on a budget was the pork and beans in a brown crock.  If you had some extra coins, their chocolate layer cake finished the meal.

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I received a large discount for anything and around Christmas it was increased so I bought a bunch of TVs and other stuff for family when I worked there .  

14 hours ago, George C said:

We were definitely neighbors my last residence in ridgewood was on Himrod St a block north of Grover Cleveland my brother and sister went there . I graduated from bushwick . We moved there in 1968 I believe then moved to Kew Gardens in the 70’s ( my parents) , my sister married the boy next door . 

I worked with a guy many years ago who lived in Ridgewood and moved with his family to Kew Gardens,across the street from the courts.

He is a few years younger than you.His first name is Al and his last name is similiar to yours.My current memory is not good but I remember so much from years ago including the day I was introduced to your brother Robert by my actress friend .

Also the area around the Williamsburg Bridge by Peter Lugers has really changed with all the closed stores into cafes and restaurants. We use to like to smell the spice factory when we went Lugers. Now gone and turned into Condo's.

I never went to Peter Lugers but my wife who was born in Williamsburg did go there.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I worked with a guy many years ago who lived in Ridgewood and moved with his family to Kew Gardens,across the street from the courts.

He is a few years younger than you.His first name is Al and his last name is similiar to yours.My current memory is not good but I remember so much from years ago including the day I was introduced to your brother Robert by my actress friend .

My brother is visiting us this weekend, nice to see family again. 

14 hours ago, GTJ said:

But at different times . . . I was there in the late 1980s. I would walk down Himrod Street to Metropolitan Avenue and the Carvel located there. My mother and her siblings were graduated from Bushwick H.S. (they lived on Putnam Avenue on the Brooklyn side).

My late brother in law lived in Bushwick but for some reason went to Jefferson ,I have no idea why.

Many people who I worked with graduated from Cleveland and moved to different areas of Queens .My work friend who lives on Stanhope actually lived in Bensonhurst and Middle Village and moved back to Ridgewood after she was divorced.

My wife and I used to shop at the Atlas Mall in Glendale as well as stores on Myrtle Ave.

When I was 9 years old my mother took me to A&S to see Santa Claus.Every kid had their picture taken .I still have mine.I used to also go to Chuck Full of Nuts for the Date Nut bread and cream cheese.I remember the Automat vividly.

• Thanks 1