Thoughts on getting around the vaccination req’t

lele100

I hope they don’t for at least the beginning trips of cruising.  We were in the celebrity st marten first sailing and very much comforted by the vaccine requirement when 2 folks tested positive.  It certainly seemed to us that even with 2 positive tests that because all were vaccinated that the rest of the cruise simply kept going with no visible changes to procedures.  We didn’t see hand wringing nor media sensationalism that is bad for moving forward.  We would like cruising to return to normal and accept that this does mean that we must get back to everyone cruising (yes non vaccinated cruisers as well) but that it should be in our respectful and humble opinion as a second step.   

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Oldsweets said:

I hope they don’t for at least the beginning trips of cruising.  We were in the celebrity st marten first sailing and very much comforted by the vaccine requirement when 2 folks tested positive.  It certainly seemed to us that even with 2 positive tests that because all were vaccinated that the rest of the cruise simply kept going with no visible changes to procedures.  We didn’t see hand wringing nor media sensationalism that is bad for moving forward.  We would like cruising to return to normal and accept that this does mean that we must get back to everyone cruising (yes non vaccinated cruisers as well) but that it should be in our respectful and humble opinion as a second step.   

Well said oldsweets, You firsthand experience is very much appreciated as there has been a lot of speculation on this page concerning that sailing.

• Like 1

Carnival may (and perhaps will) employ some incentives...   there are any number of ways to circumvent this...

For example : if you ARE vaccinated and show proof, you will receive (OBC, discount, free drinks, pre-board first, ...?).  That would quickly, I think, identify those who are not vaccinated.

Or, they may try something a little more dramatic... everyone who cruises must have (and pay for) a COVID test before boarding.  But if you show proof if vaccination, we will waive the fee.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I think two things will happen.  First, Florida's suit against the CDC will be resolved.  Second, depending how that goes, Florida will make the necessary accommodations.  They're not 'blocking' vaxxed cruising if the CDC is able to maintain the CSO and the articulated protocols for vaxxed v. unvaxxed.  That's political suicide.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jsglow said:

I think two things will happen.  First, Florida's suit against the CDC will be resolved.  Second, depending how that goes, Florida will make the necessary accommodations.  They're not 'blocking' vaxxed cruising if the CDC is able to maintain the CSO and the articulated protocols for vaxxed v. unvaxxed.  That's political suicide.

I don't envision Florida blocking any departures. I envision FL fining the cruise lines $5,000 per pax required to present vaccine verification. That could add up very quickly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I read rumor (please remember only a rumor). That they will ask on the health questionnaire which is now part of your check in process  on line if you are vaccinated and once in international waters will ask for proof and if you do not show proof you will be disembarked at first port stop and it will be at your own expense to get home.  They would have to make that be known in writing when having you fill out that health questionnaire ahead of time 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

It seems like Carnival already figured out a way.  Tell the July and August cruisers that they are sailing with only vaccinated passengers so that all of the unvaccinated passengers rebook.  Sail with what is left, only vaccinated passengers.  They never have to deny service, only make people think they will.

I'm not saying that is their intention, but that will be the result.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Why would we even consider Cruising without Masks or Proof of Vaccination? We are continuing to put innocent lives at high risk. If you don't believe in the vaccines, believe that Covid is real and believe that Covid is starting to infect more young children then you have no right to believe that you should Cruise. 

We should be fed up with our Citizens getting sicker because a few "Out of Control" State Governors are power hungry! I am as eager to Cruise as the next Carnival Cruise Nut; however, I am not willing to risk my or my family's life onboarding with a bunch of "False" document holding passengers.     

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

Why would we even consider Cruising without Masks or Proof of Vaccination? We are continuing to put innocent lives at high risk. If you don't believe in the vaccines, believe that Covid is real and believe that Covid is starting to infect more young children then you have no right to believe that you should Cruise. 

We should be fed up with our Citizens getting sicker because a few "Out of Control" State Governors are power hungry! I am as eager to Cruise as the next Carnival Cruise Nut; however, I am not willing to risk my or my family's life onboarding with a bunch of "False" document holding passengers.     

How about those that have had COVID and now it is being said they have a natural immunity and do not need to be vaccinated.  So much conflicting, confusing information. If if you are vaccinated, you can still contract COVID but being told the vaccine "might" keep you out of the hospital!  So, you can have "proof of vaccination" and still contract COVID while on a cruise. What a mess!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If a corporation doesn't enforce a safe level of having vaxxed passengers, I won't be booking with them.  If cruisers brag about ways they can fool a vax requirement on a certain line, then I probably won't be booking on that line either.

If DeSantis wins (which I hope he won't), then I won't be cruising from Florida ports on unsafe ships with unreliable protocols.

My immediate concerns would be itinerary changes, ports missed, cruise length shortened, ship activities curtailed, and/or virus mitigation efforts enhanced on board, even possible quarantines.  I sense that these inconveniences would be more likely to occur on ships that do not enforce CDC vax standards for passengers.

The safety process seems to have worked on the 1st sailing that did have 2 positive cases, yet as of now, no further harm or inconvenience resulted.  I want to cruise with a minimum of concern so I can relax and enjoy the sailing.

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, silversneakers said:

How about those that have had COVID and now it is being said they have a natural immunity and do not need to be vaccinated.  So much conflicting, confusing information. If if you are vaccinated, you can still contract COVID but being told the vaccine "might" keep you out of the hospital!  So, you can have "proof of vaccination" and still contract COVID while on a cruise. What a mess!

According to the US Department of Health there are individuals that have had the Vaccines and still are contracting Covid. Guys it's still way too risky? We need to stop rushing the process and let the Trained Experts do their job. They will totally advise us when its absolutely safe to return to our Love of Cruising. In the meantime mask up my friends! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lele100 said:

I read rumor (please remember only a rumor). That they will ask on the health questionnaire which is now part of your check in process  on line if you are vaccinated and once in international waters will ask for proof and if you do not show proof you will be disembarked at first port stop and it will be at your own expense to get home.  They would have to make that be known in writing when having you fill out that health questionnaire ahead of time 

Just as with the Celebrity, there will be a pre-registration process asking if you are willing and able to provide vaccine status at the port. There will be a lottery of sorts for children under eligible age for the 5% unvaccinated allowance. The ship will have people voluntarily provide vaccine proof at check in for boarding. If you can’t or won’t you would be denied boarding. The ship CANNOT sail if it does not meet the 95% vaccinated passenger requirement. No one will be allowed on just to be disembarked at the first available port. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I will gladly and happily show my card/ doctors note/ delavax records that I had my shots. I want to be on the Mardi Gras with no interruption of fun and sun.   I will even take a task before I board like RCL had those leaving from Nassau .  

lets cruise. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lele100 said:

Creatively creepy...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lele100 said:

What are your thoughts on how Carnival will get around the vaccination requirement in Florida (July Horizon) cruises, when they are not allowed to ask for proof per DeSantis?

Don’t care. It’s their business I’m sure they’ll figure it out…

• Like 2

We should really stop trying to circumvent the system. Each passenger is to be vaccinated prior to Cruising. What's so difficult about that type of requirement being instituted? Remember the last National Survey revealed that approximately less than 20% of all US citizens have actively Cruised.  

We are not talking about a large population here. Let's do the right thing so that less than 20% can grow.    

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

From what what I’ve been reading, if it’s an issue, the unvaccinated persons will be added to the 5% of the passengers and will have different rules and restrictions like having to wear their masks.  Carnival isn’t going to turn away money, also this is temporary as with everything it will be a thing of the past until we get the next big thing.

Fred

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stellarose said:

my vaccine cards are in a nice plastic holder next to my passports. Lets Sail!!!!

watching those on the RCCL AOTS in Nassau is driving me crazy.  see cruising can work. 

I watched too. Next up on rcl I have a inside promenade view cabin, which I can see behind the blogger. They have a bowed window facing the promenade. My dec cruise. I booked a bit of everything.

Ready to watch some live carnival cruises go. ..but seeing adventure was nice. Made me wish I was onboard seeing the windows of my next cabin category.

20210612_183255861.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, silversneakers said:

It is said. It is also said they may not be as well protected against variants. In any event, the same Florida law that covers vaccinations also covers recovery documentation.

4 minutes ago, Wennfred said:

From what what I’ve been reading, if it’s an issue, the unvaccinated persons will be added to the 5% of the passengers and will have different rules and restrictions like having to wear their masks.  Carnival isn’t going to turn away money, also this is temporary as with everything it will be a thing of the past until we get the next big thing.

Fred

I don't think carnival will allow any unvaxxed adults. The 5% will probably go to kids.

Even on the fully vaccinated from nassau, except for kids, rcl only hit 94%. Fo carnival to hit 95% they will have to be even tighter, and it will still be summer when more kids are booked. 

From the head of rcl ...from nassau yesterday. 

Adventure of the Seas sailed yesterday with over 1,000 guests from Nassau, Bahamas on its first seven day Caribbean cruise ! All our crew fully vaccinated and all guests over 16 fully vaccinated. That is 94 percent of guests fully vaccinated with the remaining 6 percent kids not yet eligible for vaccines. A wonderful day and huge thanks to so many it's impossible to list everyone. One giant team effort ! Onwards and upwards !    All guests tested before boarding ! (Note from Aug 1,  all kids sailing over 12 will be required to be vaccinated)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I don't think carnival will allow any unvaxxed adults. The 5% will probably go to kids.

Even on the fully vaccinated from nassau, except for kids, rcl only hit 94%. Fo carnival to hit 95% they will have to be even tighter, and it will still be summer when more kids are booked. 

From the head of rcl ...from nassau yesterday. 

Adventure of the Seas sailed yesterday with over 1,000 guests from Nassau, Bahamas on its first seven day Caribbean cruise ! All our crew fully vaccinated and all guests over 16 fully vaccinated. That is 94 percent of guests fully vaccinated with the remaining 6 percent kids not yet eligible for vaccines. A wonderful day and huge thanks to so many it's impossible to list everyone. One giant team effort ! Onwards and upwards !    All guests tested before boarding ! (Note from Aug 1,  all kids sailing over 12 will be required to be vaccinated)

That was in the Bahamas, Ships leaving out of US ports will surely have different rules, especially to accommodate Florida & Texas, let’s hope for the best, will find out more by September how they want to really handle this.

As far as that rumor about disembarking unvaccinated passengers at the next port while in International waters, that’s completely false, they are currently building the good old Plank, so it’s the Plank for you! Line Up.

Fred

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Wennfred said:

That was in the Bahamas, Ships leaving out of US ports will surely have different rules, especially to accommodate Florida & Texas, let’s hope for the best, will find out more by September how they want to really handle this.

As far as that rumor about disembarking unvaccinated passengers at the next port while in International waters, that’s completely false, they are currently building the good old Plank, so it’s the Plank for you! Line Up.

Fred

Rumor has it the 5% will be only kids, though even then how does carnival go from 10% kids to 5%.

Idk if you saw july cruisers had a link to be part of the 5% and so many applied it crashed. No one knows even for july how carnival will select, and vista leaves july 3rd. My pet theory is they are hoping kids and unvaccinated cancel, rather than make carnival have to choose

• Haha 1

Simple. Amend the enabling Florida legislation to include the language used in the new Texas statute about complying with Federal law.  

Specifically,  Section 14 of Texas Senate Bill 968. It reads, the law cannot restrict any business from “implementing COVID-19 screening and infection control protocols in accordance with state and federal law to protect public health.”

Cruises out of Galveston will proceed on schedule while those in Florida remain in a quagmire.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1