The New Moon - Adventures in Greece - June 18th through July 8th

spinnaker2

150798115_20210707_071956_HDR3.thumb.jpg.7e4ad9e8e6735965083a652fa014ab7a.jpgOur last port today is Thira.

I think I can see the Apex also moored in the caldera.

The volcanic eruptions are quite evident in the rock walls to which we are quite close.

There is one large black band running through the rock which must have been a horrendous event.

• Like 3

Toured Akrotiri this morning. I have been waiting to see it for so long.

So very hot in Greece. We were drenched in sweat even though we were undercover.

Tons of tourists on the island.

The tour was to be 4 hours but instead we returned about 2 pm. 

And now the dreaded packing.

We just had our last quick covid test.

You can really see that black layering in the sun.

I tried to find out when it occurred but have not been successful.

461209396_20210707_1558212.thumb.jpg.c7e14eae381896c408a7627eabe2adba.jpg

The island in the photo below is in the caldera and the light green indicates volcanic activity below the surface.

1662587241_20210707_1159452.thumb.jpg.4aec73d5099eff4a622f5cbfe2439070.jpg

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Toured Akrotiri this morning. I have been waiting to see it for so long.

So very hot in Greece. We were drenched in sweat even though we were undercover.

Tons of tourists on the island.

The tour was to be 4 hours but instead we returned about 2 pm. 

And now the dreaded packing.

We just had our last quick covid test.

You can really see that black layering in the sun.

I tried to find out when it occurred but have not been successful.

461209396_20210707_1558212.thumb.jpg.c7e14eae381896c408a7627eabe2adba.jpg

The island in the photo below is in the caldera and the light green indicates volcanic activity below the surface.

1662587241_20210707_1159452.thumb.jpg.4aec73d5099eff4a622f5cbfe2439070.jpg

Maybe this will shed some light on when that black line was created:

image.png.32b5ed9e821a28d2b07a4a38de200218.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spinnaker2 I have enjoyed reading your voyage blog very much.  Thank you for taking the time to write it and for the lovely photos.  I will be sailing on the Silver Moon in a few months for my first Silversea cruise and you have helped me to look forward to it even more than I already was.  Safe travels home for you.

• Like 3

I’m sorry you will be leaving the ship as I have enjoyed sailing along with you. 
It has been so nice to see ships sailing again and I’m hoping to see other passengers writing about their cruises. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Thanks for your comments, excellent photos, and the joy of travelling with SS again. Safe travels home for you and Mr Spins.

YES!  YES!!  Appreciate Spins' great comments, pictures, sharing and various follow-ups.  After getting home to southern Florida and "resting up" from this vacation, let us know any added thoughts about this cruise, the operations, staff/passenger "vibe", etc.  Plus, any other insights as Silversea and others try to figure out their future path ahead during the next year.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 233,569 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

• Like 1

Sounds like everyone is having a great time which is great news!   A question from my bride. What are the ladies wearing on formal night ? It’s been 5 years since our last SS cruise, and remember it being very dressy. 

Hi, I am on board now....ladies wore, long dresses, cocktail dresses, dressy slacks with nice tops.........

I wore a pair of dressy black slacks that have gold flecks running throughout and a black top that has gold embroidery across the neckline......black sandals, some jewelry and I was good to go.

First formal night was last night.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I am on board now....ladies wore, long dresses, cocktail dresses, dressy slacks with nice tops.........

I wore a pair of dressy black slacks that have gold flecks running throughout and a black top that has gold embroidery across the neckline......black sandals, some jewelry and I was good to go.

First formal night was last night.

........and the gents? Were they all dinner/dark suits or were there any lighter/brighter suits?

16 hours ago, Philandher said:

........and the gents? Were they all dinner/dark suits or were there any lighter/brighter suits?

Hi, I never took notice to be honest. I did see dark suits but did not  notice bright ones.

On the first, and to a lesser extent the second cruise, I was surprised how many men were in tuxedos/dinner jackets. There were definitely some in  suits - primarily dark, but a few in lighter/brighter suits. There were even one or two in sports jackets and ties.

1 hour ago, sea bright said:

On the first, and to a lesser extent the second cruise, I was surprised how many men were in tuxedos/dinner jackets. There were definitely some in  suits - primarily dark, but a few in lighter/brighter suits. There were even one or two in sports jackets and ties.

Why were you surprised, SS is a formal cruise line and the vast majority of guests both understand that and adhere to the dress code. BTW we understand that SS is more dressy than other lines, but that's the way we like it.

Edited by Silver Spectre

Two weeks until e pack our bags to join the Moon, honestly cannot wait now 👏

we will need an onboard PCR test before we fly back to the UK but I spoke to SS onFriday about it and we just book it with our butler once we are on board and will be allocated a time to go to the med centre 3 days before disembarkation and the sample  analysis is done on board and our result issued next day . The cost will be added to our on account $120 per test.

couldn’t be easier 👍🏻

• Like 1

You will be given the rapid test on board and then again if you need it, a time slot will be made available to you before the end of your cruise. In our case it was the day before the end of the cruise. A print out of your results will be sent to your suite the night before disembarkation. The results are also emailed to you.

The testing onboard is quick and very easy.

We did not need the PCR test but I can confirm it is 120 dollars per test if you must have one.

Your temp will be taken in the morning every day by your butler. 

Edited by spinnaker2

Up until today’s news the PCR test from amber list countries was the recommendation on the gov.uk website. 
Until they actually post the rules proper, on 19th July  I will be prepared to have to do the PCR.

The trick now is to avoid exposure and end up testing positive before we board. 🤞

• Like 1