The New Moon - Adventures in Greece - June 18th through July 8th

spinnaker2

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

Great above comments and follow-ups from Spins, daddyo, Sea Bright, Lois, etc.  Happy to hear that all is going so well.  When handy, will be interested in learning more as to the total staffing size for this sailing, insights from the staff as to how they survived during the recent shut-down, etc.  Any and all details are of interest.  

For Lois, we have stayed twice in Athens at AVA hotel right near the famed Plaka.  Currently, TripAdvisor ranks this boutique hotel as #2 of 359 hotels in Athens.  Both times our experience there has been super great.  PLUS, the location is perfect to soak up and enjoy the charm and many options in the Plaka.  It's a safe, solid, nice area.  Big hotel chains like Intercontinental, are OK, but personally, I like to get more of a "local experience" that connect to the country where i am visiting.  Need more on this hotel and/or Athens?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 51,395 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Hi Terry, I appreciate the recommendation for the hotel but to be honest, my TA is taking care of my hotel room at the Intercontinental, it is the hotel SS uses so I get 1) complimentary transfer from the airport to the hotel and 2) they pick me up to take me to the ship.  So for all these reasons I am choosing to stay here.  I understand and enjoy Boutique style accommodations as well but in this case I decided to go with the cruise line choice and I am sure for one night it will be just fine. 

The reason I asked Sea Bright about their stay is, they said they stayed at an SS property too.  

1 hour ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Re the pre boarding protocols … are all of the passengers on Silversea transfers or are there some independent ones?

We normally try to arrive at the pier just after noon …. But if they are withholding testing until 2pm that may need to be taken into account. Having said that what happens in two weeks time will be different to what happens in two months time 🙄

Hi, I am with you.....in the past I have even arrived at the pier before noon and have boarded very quickly.

Looks like protocols are definitely being upheld and boarding is after 2:00pm. Will find out in due time.

And the gorgeous day is drawing to a close.

We lingered at La Terrazza way too long and a nap followed.

We have not been off the ship because Dr Spins back has been problematic.

I leave others to report photographically on FB silversea passengers page or here.

I see many pax taking advantage of the tenders to go ashore.

While we recognize many of the crew we do not know any of the pax from prior cruises.

20210620_130332_HDR.jpg

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

And the gorgeous day is drawing to a close.  We lingered at La Terrazza way too long and a nap followed.  We have not been off the ship because Dr Spins back has been problematic.  I leave others to report photographically on FB silversea passengers page or here.  I see many pax taking advantage of the tenders to go ashore.  While we recognize many of the crew we do not know any of the pax from prior cruises.

Appreciate ALL of these details, background, pictures, etc., from Spins.  Keep it up!!  Great sharing.    Loving these info items.  When handy, would like to hear more on the "vibe" among both the passengers and crew.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

On 6/19/2021 at 9:31 AM, spinnaker2 said:

I do not know if all pax passed the test.

It was conducted in a tent building.

It was very hot. 

There were three swabber people in full protective gear in separate cubicles.

I wont describe it all unless you really want to know the procedure.

We waited an hour in that tent before we received our negative results.

By the time we got aboard it was 3:30 pm ( we were not permitted to enter the tent area until 2 pm).

A very very long and exhausting first day.

I might add the airport procedure to enter Greece was a breeze. Just had to show fax card and the locator number. 

So emotional to see your photos and reports thank you. We will be there from 28th July and if it is still only around 200 guests then we simply cannot wait! 😎👏 we can put up with whatever testing and boarding procedures are necessary for the joy and experience that will follow 😍

We are booked in Dec. Fully vaccinated.All this testing worries me.A false positive could ruin your trip.I don't want to be stuck in a cabin if this happens. Also a temp check everyday is over the top.Some people are hot all the time especially in the Caribbean.Not complaining I know things are evolving all the time but still on the fence if I want to take this trip.

This is just my opinion, but I think in another 6 months (which would be for that December cruise) I think some of the protocols will be lessened........example would be those daily temp checks. I could be wrong of course and I guess we will all find out as time goes by. But I think things will be different in another 6 months. I know that is what everyone said at the beginning of this....it would only last xx amount of time and look what happened. But I do think with the vaccines out there...the more folks who get jabs, the better for all of us.

• Like 3

Lois, we stayed at the Intercontinental via Silversea. It was fine. Rooms were spacious and well set up. A fabulous roof terrace with a view of the Acropolis.  Breakfast was a buffet hybrid. You walked around the buffet and one of two servers filled your plate with what you pointed too. There were lines at peak times. The roof terrace or room service were the only options for dinner (we were too tired to venture out). The menu was limited, but the food was fine and the view spectacular.

5 hours ago, sea bright said:

Lois, we stayed at the Intercontinental via Silversea. It was fine. Rooms were spacious and well set up. A fabulous roof terrace with a view of the Acropolis.  Breakfast was a buffet hybrid. You walked around the buffet and one of two servers filled your plate with what you pointed too. There were lines at peak times. The roof terrace or room service were the only options for dinner (we were too tired to venture out). The menu was limited, but the food was fine and the view spectacular.

Hi sea bright, thank you so much for the reply😃.  And was the SS person clearly noted for you at the airport? I am guessing you used the SS transfer?

Just now, cinbeach said:

I will be onboard July 28.  Can you tell me did you need a Negative PCR test for your flights and to enter Greece or did you just show your Vaccination Card?

Thanks Cindy

Hi Cindy,  per the Greek government.....you need your vaccination card. No test is needed as long as you have that card.   There is a form you must fill out before flying over there.......this is mandatory.

Here is a link:  

https://travel.gov.gr/#/

Hi Lois. Our SS transfer from the airport was a bit of a debacle. We booked our own business class air (as it was thousands cheaper than SS for the Emirates direct flight we wanted). Our TA arranged for a SS transfer to the hotel (which was booked through SS). No one showed to meet us. After about a half hour when we couldn't contact the land agent listed on the cruise docs we gave up and scrambled to make our own transfer arrangements. This was not so easy because we are traveling with my 83 year old mother with her wheelchair, walker, luggage, etc. and thus couldn't fit in a regular taxi. The woman at the SS hospitality desk at the hotel said they had been provided with the wrong flight info. I raised the issue with both my TA and SS and I'm sure it won't happen again.

Stumbles you actually participate and cook the food.

You have a station and induction burner.

Everything is assembled for you.

I made Moussaka. Quite delicious.

But beware do not go after drinking alcohol.

The knives are super sharp!!!

Class about an hour long and small circular venue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1