Covid Sniffing Dogs

donaldsc

1 minute ago, mom says said:

OK I'll bite. Basically what Cruiser Bruce said. They wouldn't use the sniff test as the final say, any more than they use the sniff test as a final say for illicit drugs. It would be followed up with a test. The sniffers would simply be one early screening tool.Ā 

Ā 

And one might also remember that IĀ Ā could be fully vaccinated and feeling fine and still be COVID positive. Not sure why you made the leap to taking medications, which might only be necessary if you became symptomatic. Have a read through the threads on the last Millennium sailing.

You are wrong on the first paragraph .You may recall that about 25 years ago three women attempted to enter the US from South America. At the time it was the largest drug bust in the US ever.It was a dog that sniffed it out and they were immediately arrested.The arresting police officer was one of my closest friends.

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My wife is also a recently retired RN .I have one final question for you.

You are on a cruise ship or actually anywhere.You are told that a dog detected that you have Covid .As a medical person you are 100 percent positive that you are absolutely fine .Do you accept the findings of the dog and begin treatment for the Covid or do you think that perhaps LenQuixote66 may just be correct in his belief ?

Ā 

Ā 

Of course I would do a follow up check which is the same as if you get a positive test using antigen or PCR. That doesn't mean that I think the dog is wrong it just that it makes sense to double check because e even antigen or PCR have been known to give a false reading.

I doubt the dogs would be used on a cruise ship. More likely airport screening.

Ā 

In your reply to mom says you mention that it was a dog that sniffed out the drugs because of its highly developed sense of smell. I bet your friend didn't smell the drugs when they were hidden away.

Edited by frantic36

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

You are wrong on the first paragraph .You may recall that about 25 years ago three women attempted to enter the US from South America. At the time it was the largest drug bust in the US ever.It was a dog that sniffed it out and they were immediately arrested.The arresting police officer was one of my closest friends.

Somehow I don't think the drugs were out in the open when the dogs alerted.. I would bet that a further (human) search of their bodies or their belongings was done in order to actually find the drugs. And that a chemical analysis was performed to prove that the substance was, in fact, an illicit drug. Or did the dogs do that, too?

32 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

Ā 

Of course I would do a follow up check which is the same as if you get a positive test using antigen or PCR. That doesn't mean that I think the dog is wrong it just that it makes sense to double check because e even antigen or PCR have been known to give a false reading.

I doubt the dogs would be used on a cruise ship. More likely airport screening.

Ā 

In your reply to mom says you mention that it was a dog that sniffed out the drugs because of its highly developed sense of smell. I bet your friend didn't smell the drugs when they were hidden away.

No,he did not smell the narcotics.Conversely ,no matter what you say you will never convince me that a dog can smell or distinguish Covid.

11 minutes ago, mom says said:

Somehow I don't think the drugs were out in the open when the dogs alerted.. I would bet that a further (human) search of their bodies or their belongings was done in order to actually find the drugs. And that a chemical analysis was performed to prove that the substance was, in fact, an illicit drug. Or did the dogs do that, too?

You are the one that is saying that a dog can sense Covid which I say is impossible.

With reference to the women arrested .They were taken into custody ,not merely detained.

Some dogs can be trained to detect low blood sugar, pre epileptic symptoms, malaria, some cancers, bacterial and viral infections.

Ā 

Since COVID is relatively new, training canine detection has only been completed in the last few months.Ā  It is a relatively new tool.

Ā 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

You are the one that is saying that a dog can sense Covid which I say is impossible.

With reference to the women arrested .They were taken into custody ,not merely detained.

Your police officer buddy can confirm this. The dog hitting on the drugs allows cops toĀ detainĀ people. Finding the drugs doing a search after the dog hits on the drugs causes the suspect(s) to be arrested. There are key differences between detaining and arresting.Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Your police officer buddy can confirm this. The dog hitting on the drugs allows cops toĀ detainĀ people. Finding the drugs doing a search after the dog hits on the drugs causes the suspect(s) to be arrested. There are key differences between detaining and arresting.Ā 

My police officer buddy cannot confirm anything any longer.He died from Covid last year.I understand what you are saying .I know the difference between detaining and arresting.

22 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

no matter what you say you will never convince me that a dog can smell or distinguish Covid.

Ā 

Ok,Ā  sounds like maybe a mild case of p-envy.Ā  Ā (not that kind please posters get your minds out of the gutters!)

Ā 

I'm talking about pooch-envy.Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā 

Ā 

Maybe a canine-pooch companion can shed new light here.Ā Ā 

Ā 

But as to the topic at hand,

Ā 

Even Ripley would tell you,Ā  Ā Believe it or Not.... Canines can do it.Ā  Ā Ā Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

3 hours ago, JRG said:

Ā 

Ok,Ā  sounds like maybe a mild case of p-envy.Ā  Ā (not that kind please posters get your minds out of the gutters!)

Ā 

I'm talking about pooch-envy.Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā 

Ā 

Maybe a canine-pooch companion can shed new light here.Ā Ā 

Ā 

But as to the topic at hand,

Ā 

Even Ripley would tell you,Ā  Ā Believe it or Not.... Canines can do it.Ā  Ā Ā Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

My Support dog cannot articulate in a recognizable language ,however,he is very intelligent and I do not believe that he can determine if a person has Covid.I did bridge the question to him but did not get a reply.

10 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My Support dog cannot articulate in a recognizable language ,however,he is very intelligent and I do not believe that he can determine if a person has Covid.I did bridge the question to him but did not get a reply.

You do realize your dog was not trained for the task of smelling out Covid?

• Like 1

Perhaps wrong type of dogs or training in jtwind's citation?

Ā 

Here are other links that say the opposite, that dogs can detect COVID or COVID symptoms"

Ā 

https://bmcinfectdis.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12879-020-05281-3

Ā 

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/medtech/dogtor-upenn-study-finds-dogs-can-sniff-out-covid-19-96-accuracy

Ā 

https://www.lung.org/blog/can-dogs-detect-covid-19

Ā 

Google to find more of the above, the science is ongoing, as most things with COVID are.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ontheweb said:

You do realize your dog was not trained for the task of smelling out Covid?

Yes,but I doubt that any dog can sniff out Covid.On a lighter note one of my neighbors graduated from the same college as you in the same year.I just found this out today.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Yes,but I doubt that any dog can sniff out Covid.On a lighter note one of my neighbors graduated from the same college as you in the same year.I just found this out today.

Thousands graduated from the same college the year I did, so the chance of the two of us knowing one another are quite slim.

Just now, ontheweb said:

Thousands graduated from the same college the year I did, so the chance of the two of us knowing one another are quite slim.

Yes,I realize that .However,if the two of you had the same major it is possible that you knew each other.

One of the CC regulars and I graduated from the same college .He left two years after me but there were also thousands of students at the school .

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

All Ā I know is scientist dogs have tried for years but still can't figure out how a door knob works. Ā šŸ˜€

Did you see the footage of the bear from todays news...that had figured out how to open car doors using the door handle? A news person was wondering how long before a bear could hotwire the car.

16 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Did you see the footage of the bear from todays news...that had figured out how to open car doors using the door handle? A news person was wondering how long before a bear could hotwire the car.

Ā 

I just watched that video! Ā Not your average bear!Ā  Haha. Ā Ā 

Ā 

I remember from when we went camping as kids the bears at Yosemite enjoyed popping openĀ ice chests. Ā Ā 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Ā 

Ā 

Don't tell a certain poster on here that it was a Covid sniffing bear!Ā Ā Ā  šŸ˜‰

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Ā 

Ā 

Don't tell a certain poster on here that it was a Covid sniffing bear!Ā šŸ˜‰

I'm pretty sure that there are not professional bear trainers able to produce a Covid sniffing bear.šŸ˜‰ And that will make a certain poster content.

• Haha 1