Skip the Line tickets

nyer

Can anyone please explain to me how you purchase "skip the line" tickets?   We have a tour booked with Rome in Limo for next year.   I looked at the site to buy the tickets for the Vatican and didn't see that as a selection.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted (edited)

Any ticket to the Vatican Museums is by definition "skip the line".   You will still encounter lines for security but it's nothing like the one for those without advance tickets.

There are no tickets and therefore no line skip options for St. Peter's basilica.

This is the official web site for Vatican Museum tickets:  Vatican Museums – Official Website (museivaticani.va)

Edited by euro cruiser

Nyer,

In September 2019 we visited Rome and it was International Tourism Day! Rome in Limo were able to get us Skip the Line Tickets! Supposedly that day no tickets were available since the museums were free Lines went all around building. They made our day by getting us in without waiting in line!

You will also find tours for the Sistine Chapel at night, which supposedly avoids the terrible crowds.  All I can say is if the crowds we faced at night are better than those in the day, you will need scuba gear just to breathe!

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Unpopular opinion: With so many amazing things to see in Rome, the hassle of the Vatican Museum isn’t worth it. 

Unless you are there now.  I just read an article about a visit to the Sistine Chapel with a total crowd of 5.  [Yes, five!]

16 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Unpopular opinion: With so many amazing things to see in Rome, the hassle of the Vatican Museum isn’t worth it. 

...and for many it is the main reason they want to visit Rome.

On 6/29/2021 at 2:16 PM, zekekelso said:

Oh, for the days prior to 2000 when one could still visit the Sistine Chapel without huge crowds.

Still, crowds and all, I wouldn't miss the Vatican - the museum is packed with amazing artifacts & actually is not crowded in most areas (the route to the Raphael Rooms & Sistine is usually packed with hordes of tourists as everyone is rushing to see the same things).

The first time I visited the Vatican museums I didn't know how good I had it.  I was on one of the first planes to Italy after 9/11 when there were very few people travelling.  I knelt on the floor of the Sistine chapel so our then 6-year-old could use my shoulder as a pillow while she gazed at the ceiling, and no one bothered us or bumped into us.  We were in there for an hour ... little did I know how different my next visit would be.

• 2 months later...

Visited Rome in May 2015, We had purchased very early admission at 0600. Included a very nice breakfast before starting the tour .We were the only ones in the Sistene Chapel. Next to the safety glass barrier to the Pieta. THAT is why I wanted to visit the Vatican. We completed our tour in about two hours, but were allowed to stay longer if we wanted - we didn't. It was packed by then, the line to get in was several blocks long.

Attached is picture we took of the Sphere Within Sphere in the Vatican Gardens. Breakfast was served under the large "umbrellas" in the right corner. Notice: No crowds

Tux

Vatican.JPG