Do I need a covid test?

I am an American citizen cruising July 3 out of Fort Lauderdale, fully vaccinated.  Do I need a Covid PCR test?  I’ve gotten conflicting reports from Celebrity customer service.

I read the test is only needed if I fly into the US.  Anyone know differently?

bob

Not according to the CDC Conditional Sail Order when it comes to Phase 4 restricted cruises, which the Edge cruises cruising out of Ft Lauderdale are.

Testing of Embarking and Disembarking Passengers for Restricted Voyages

Screening Testing of All Embarking and Disembarking Passengers for Restricted Voyages
  Not Fully Vaccinated Passengers Fully Vaccinated Passengers
Embarkation Day Testing Viral (NAAT or antigen) Not Applicable*
Disembarkation Testing ^  Viral (NAAT or antigen) Not Applicable
Back-to-Back Sailing¥ Testing Viral (NAAT or antigen) Not Applicable

* While embarkation testing is not required, international travelers arriving in the U.S. are recommended to be tested 3-5 days after arrival, including those who are fully vaccinated. Cruise operators may follow this recommendation at their discretion.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html

I believe it's still as the Cruise Line's discretion.   For the latest information I think the best place to monitor is https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/us-travel-requirements.

Last updated June 9 and no testing required for vaccinated adults at that time.   Please come join the Roll Call for July 3 Edge sailing.   Very active.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bigbob7777 said:

I am an American citizen cruising July 3 out of Fort Lauderdale, fully vaccinated.  Do I need a Covid PCR test?  I’ve gotten conflicting reports from Celebrity customer service.

I read the test is only needed if I fly into the US.  Anyone know differently?

bob

You do not need a PCR test. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/us-travel-requirements

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

I believe it's still as the Cruise Line's discretion.   For the latest information I think the best place to monitor is https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/us-travel-requirements.

Last updated June 9 and no testing required for vaccinated adults at that time.   Please come join the Roll Call for July 3 Edge sailing.   Very active.

Where do I find the roll call?

2 hours ago, tunaman2011 said:

Greetings

I believe that everyone will have to be tested on the sea day (05 July) so that the requirements for entry into St Martin (07 July) are met.

Good Sailing

Tom

This makes sense, but where are you getting this info?

2 hours ago, tunaman2011 said:

Greetings

I believe that everyone will have to be tested on the sea day (05 July) so that the requirements for entry into St Martin (07 July) are met.

Good Sailing

Tom

That is correct. One may not need a test to board in the US (although that is at the cruise line’s discretion) but testing requirements for the different countries will have to be complied with. St. Maarten has one. Celebrity should be communicating with passengers about any other ports of call on the itinerary requiring testing. 

Those of us sailing on July 3 keep encountering warnings such as these (from an official St. Thomas govt website) when trying to plan our time ashore next month. I understand St. Maarten has a similar policy. Celebrity has not given us any info:

Every traveler aged five or older who enters the U.S. Virgin Islands, by air or sea, including anyone in-transit to another destination, is required to use the USVI Travel Screening Portal and submit a COVID-19 test result prior to travel.  COVID-19 test results must be submitted via the portal and not via email.

I can't find anything that says arriving cruise ship passengers are exempt.  It also states that proof of being vaccinated does not count.  Also saw this:

the territory does require that passengers over the age of 5 present negative COVID-19 test results (antigen or PCR tests are acceptable) taken no more than five days prior to arrival or transit by air or sea. It’s of particular note that the USVI will accept an antigen test, which is generally faster and cheaper than the PCR test.

Clients must upload their negative test results to usvitravelportal.com prior to departing the U.S. Mainland for St. Thomas. It's a good idea to take the test and upload it as quickly as possible, as they are reviewed manually. Once approved, passengers will receive an email with a green QR code that should be presented to their carrier at check-in, and again to local officials upon arrival.

Just now, EMc&DrS said:

Those of us sailing on July 3 keep encountering warnings such as these (from an official St. Thomas govt website) when trying to plan our time ashore next month. I understand St. Maarten has a similar policy. Celebrity has not given us any info:

Every traveler aged five or older who enters the U.S. Virgin Islands, by air or sea, including anyone in-transit to another destination, is required to use the USVI Travel Screening Portal and submit a COVID-19 test result prior to travel.  COVID-19 test results must be submitted via the portal and not via email.

I can't find anything that says arriving cruise ship passengers are exempt.  It also states that proof of being vaccinated does not count.  Also saw this:

the territory does require that passengers over the age of 5 present negative COVID-19 test results (antigen or PCR tests are acceptable) taken no more than five days prior to arrival or transit by air or sea. It’s of particular note that the USVI will accept an antigen test, which is generally faster and cheaper than the PCR test.

Clients must upload their negative test results to usvitravelportal.com prior to departing the U.S. Mainland for St. Thomas. It's a good idea to take the test and upload it as quickly as possible, as they are reviewed manually. Once approved, passengers will receive an email with a green QR code that should be presented to their carrier at check-in, and again to local officials upon arrival.

I guess the point is Celebrity should be communicating the information. Have you contacted them?  

12 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

I guess the point is Celebrity should be communicating the information. Have you contacted them?  

There's the same question to enter the Bahamas on the last day of the 6/26 cruise. As rapidly as things are changing, they may just not know yet. They also could be trying to get approval on an exemption for cruise pax. There is nothing on the TA side that addresses these two issues. Keep waiting then things will change again. That's pretty much a given at this point.

11 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

There's the same question to enter the Bahamas on the last day of the 6/26 cruise. As rapidly as things are changing, they may just not know yet. They also could be trying to get approval on an exemption for cruise pax. There is nothing on the TA side that addresses these two issues. Keep waiting then things will change again. That's pretty much a given at this point.

Understood, but they should be communicating what the requirements are now so that passengers are aware. Not waiting and counting on them changing the rules. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, EMc&DrS said:

This makes sense, but where are you getting this info?

Any one of the cruise-port islands (or governing countries) can set its own requirements. Any one of those policies can also change before we get there.

US State Dept's website also typically offers this kind of info for travelers in general, not just cruisers.

I'll be prepared to hear the very latest requirements on my actual cruise. We'll all have to go with the flow, whatever that might be at the time.

Edited by Moonarino

4 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Understood, but they should be communicating what the requirements are now so that passengers are aware. Not waiting and counting on them changing the rules. 

I just went to the State Department travel site and looked through aaalllll the info for each country my Edge Sept 4 cruise is visiting ( as of now). It's a lot to weed through, but right now Honduras, Mexico and Bahamas do not require testing from fully vaccinated people arriving from the US. Which makes me happy ! I hope it stays that way.  It would be nice if Celebrity wrote all this on their site .....but I also  don't trust Celebrity's website....so I'd probably verify it all anyway.