What are your favorite things to do on a Holland America World Cruise?

Posted (edited)

Travel the world. Meet new friends. Lectures. Music. SEA DAYS!!!! Unpack once and enjoy a long trip!!!! The crew is what makes it special.  Never a frown. Never a sad face. Always happy and so willing to help, 

Edited by Hygge!
Additions
  • Like 4

Special dinners in the Pinnacle:  Guest Chef, Cellar Master, and Mystery!  Sunday Brunch and the ever changing menu in the MDR.  For sake of comparison, I am from New Orleans, where we have some of the best food in the world, so my standards are high.

7 hours ago, quack2 said:

I wish Holland would quit taking these decks away.

And I love the Lanai cabins!! Love sitting on Lower promenade!!! 

10 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

What are your favorite things to do on a Holland America  World Cruise?  what makes it a special cruise ?

Respectfully, your question is too limiting for me.  My most special HAL cruises have not been either my one segment of a world cruise or the entire world cruise. 

MDR menus that reflected the area the area in which we were sailing:  did not see that on my world cruise.

Quality entertainment brought on board; some during my world cruise, but much more consistent on the shorter long cruises.

Experienced "crew experience/quality" has been ballyhood for their world cruises for how many years.  Mostly so; not 100%, however.  My 2008 World Cruise Cabin Steward was deficient from the day I boarded the Amsterdam (he was on his 2nd Contract with his first being on the Prinsendam (?)) and jumped ship when we docked in Singapore.  

The opportunity to develop some relationships with other guests as well as the crew helps to make a world cruise special.  The opportunity of visiting ports that one would likely never visit makes it special.  

The observation of the preparations made by the security team to keep me safe as we sailed through potentially dangerous waters can't be overlooked.

The wonderful days at sea, just to do what I wanted to do--or not--was a luxury that I never had and now don't.  

Were there incidental "enjoyments"?  Yes.  My trivia team on the world cruise developed into a friendship among us.  The Roll Calls on some of the longer cruises have produced friends with whom I keep in touch; some of whom I have sailed again.  And, again.  And, there is the Dining Room Manager whom I met on the Eurodam in 2020, a gentleman whom was my Table Captain on the 2008 world cruise and was the Dining Room Manager on another cruise.  He recognized me before I recognized him.  He remembered my name!

• Like 2

On shorter cruises, you remember when you embarked and know that it's over in a week or two. 

On the GWVs, you get so embedded in ship life you forget when you embarked and the disembarkation is too far away to even think about.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Oak Hill Cruisers said:

you forget when you embarked and the disembarkation is too far away to even think about.

Very true, until the day of disembarkation approaches and one wonders:  what am I going to do with all of this stuff that I have accumulated?  I had to buy another piece of luggage to get it all off the ship.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've never been on a looooong cruise as I can't afford it.  But for those of you who do, do you not get sick of all the food.  I know for lunch on a cruise many people go into the main dining room and order what I consider a supper meal.  I often skip lunch or just have a sandwich.  Then it's all those courses for supper.  Too much.  After I get home from a 18 day cruise, all I want is a hot dog and peanut butter sandwich. So, how do you eat like you do for 300 + days???

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sue from Canada said:

I've never been on a looooong cruise as I can't afford it.  But for those of you who do, do you not get sick of all the food.  I know for lunch on a cruise many people go into the main dining room and order what I consider a supper meal.  I often skip lunch or just have a sandwich.  Then it's all those courses for supper.  Too much.  After I get home from a 18 day cruise, all I want is a hot dog and peanut butter sandwich. So, how do you eat like you do for 300 + days???

This. 👆

L.

I love the World Voyages.  And I don't really eat much differently on board ship than I do at home.  When I don't want much to eat, I find the Lido ideal for selective choices, a soup or a sandwich.  If a san, I have a good time selecting the bread or roll, ditto the meat with lots of lettuce.  That's plenty for me.  The Dining Room has enough choices for menu selection.  A person doesn't have to eat everything offered and can decline what is not wanted.  Also I've never been a large breakfast eater.  But must admit, it is fun having choices for meals , and having someone else do the cooking.  That is what I enjoy when dining aboard ship.  

Marianne

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

You get a hot dog, make a PB sandwich.  Request a salad at dinner - nothing else.  You do whatever you want to do.  It's wonderful. Someone else cooking and cleaning.  And if you have dietary requirements they meet those with a smile on their face.  HAL is the best.  

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

You do have to pace yourself and avoid or limit some of the temptations.  For lunch we often eat the Asian bowls of soup or have a salad.  We keep our breakfast lite just like at home, fruit, steel cut oatmeal, things like that.  Dinner is not to hard as HAL cut back on portion sizes several years ago.  We would often get a side vegetable like broccoli or spinach.  Personally I think what gets people is dessert as it is readable available.  The other aspect is we are more physically active on a cruise then at home, we do the morning stretch and walk the deck on sea days.  On port days we burn lots of calories walking around and going places.

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

I don't think HAL has any 300+ days for a World Cruise.  I think 128 is the maximum.  But to answer your question, we found on a Grand Voyage  that the menus were adapted to the country that we were visiting so there was usually something different to choose from.  Additionally, HAL's menus always provide an unadorned and basic choice.  As others have said, if you are not hungry, you don't eat or order a hamburger or soup from room service.  Similar to our use of alcohol, we found that we ate less on a long voyage because eating or drinking is no longer as "must have because we are on vacation."

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

If you ask the night before they can show you the menu and if it holds nothing you can also chose from an Indian menu and a vegan menu as long as you give them notice ahead of time. For lunch, soups and salads are plentiful both in the main dinning room and at the lido where you can build your own salads. And I too am more active on board. So far I haven’t gained weight on a cruise. They are mist accommodating and can leave something off the plate. That helps with feeling the need to clean your plate when it’s not something you would normally eat such as mashed potatoes. 

Edited by lindaler

14 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

I have not been on a WC but have done a few long ones.  I skip meals, actually a lot of them.  The DH love evening in one MDR so that may be my only meal, except fruit, on some days.  I have never asked for peanut butter but I am sure they have it and the Dive In has a very good hot dog 

4 hours ago, lindaler said:

If you ask the night before they can show you the menu and if it holds nothing you can also chose from an Indian menu and a vegan menu as long as you give them notice ahead of time.

You can also order from the children's menu, which, on a long cruise, can be a nice change of pace on many evenings. 
The World Cruise menu also has a lot more offerings more like you would fix for yourself at home. The pace on a World Cruise, or any long cruise for that matter, is much different than you find on shorter cruises. It is much more relaxed. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

The pace on a World Cruise, or any long cruise for that matter, is much different than you find on shorter cruises. It is much more relaxed. 

That is what makes the cruise so much more enjoyable for me.  I first learned the real implication of the Spanish word:  Manana.  

14 hours ago, Marianne said:

But must admit, it is fun having choices for meals , and having someone else do the cooking.  That is what I enjoy when dining aboard ship.  

Choices that I would never have created for myself are part of the delight of dining aboard a ship.  When was the last time I prepared Escargots for myself?  Never!

17 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

After I get home from a 18 day cruise, all I want is a hot dog and peanut butter sandwich

No doubt that one's comfort food is a welcome change.  I will always have in my freezer for the dinner when I return from any length of cruise a Stouffer entree that I really enjoy.  Along with a dessert of some sort--such as canned fruit--in my refrigerator for dessert.  More often than not, though, I will learn if my car still wants to take me to my favorite Italian restaurant.  Or, I will call for delivery of a favorite pizza.  

• Like 2

I would think the attitude of the passengers toward meeting others would be different. On a short cruise people tend to stay within their own groups but on a longer cruise you get a chance to get to know other people without them being gone in a few days. I’m not sure if I’m explaining it clearly but hope you get the idea. 

In the past there has been some criticism of clicks on the WC.  It is true as repeaters tend to hang out with those they have met on previous WC’s.  

• Like 1