Jump to content

8 Crew Test Positive on the Odyssey


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Honest question.   Are you OK if the crew had been given the J&J vaccine and would consider them fully vaccinated?

I know it wasn't asked of me, but I have the J&J vaccine and am perfectly fine with it. I also had covid previously. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Tell that to the people that just lost 3 weeks of cruises.

Those people chose to book those cruises. Anyone who books and goes on the first month or so of cruises should be prepared for anything. And no, it doesn't matter if you booked 2 years ago or not. They have had plenty of time to move to a later date.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Tell that to the people that just lost 3 weeks of cruises.

If I had a cruise booked in the next month or so, I would rate my chances of actually sailing at < 25%. Heck, we've got one booked for December out of Jacksonville and would rate our chances to sail on that cruise the same.

I get that mentioning Covid and cruise ships in the same sentence makes for a good headline right now, but let's have some common sense about all of this. Remember, cruising isn't fully back and every day brings new challenges. We'll get there.
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, d12j28 said:

Those people chose to book those cruises. Anyone who books and goes on the first month or so of cruises should be prepared for anything. And no, it doesn't matter if you booked 2 years ago or not. They have had plenty of time to move to a later date.

You obviously have no clue how the real world works. If I had a vacation like this canceled this late, it is not as simple as saying "Oh, just do something else!!". It will take hours if not weeks to get everything canceled and refunded. It will take months working through insurance on the losses and most likely you will lose money. Booking flights for another vacation this close has gone up over 2x in price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BoozinCroozin said:

You obviously have no clue how the real world works. If I had a vacation like this canceled this late, it is not as simple as saying "Oh, just do something else!!". It will take hours if not weeks to get everything canceled and refunded. It will take months working through insurance on the losses and most likely you will lose money. Booking flights for another vacation this close has gone up over 2x in price.

I know quite well how the real world works. Like you yourself said, you have the freedom to make the choice and deal with the consequences. Anyone that feels a cruise vacation is that important should be prepared if they cruise now with so many unknowns. It's exactly why we have nothing booked until next year and just took a vacation to Florida instead of trying to cruise.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I know it wasn't asked of me, but I have the J&J vaccine and am perfectly fine with it. I also had covid previously. 

The person I was referring to was going off that the crew was allowed to comingle with others in the real world while only having 1 dose of the Pfizer vax.  I asked that question because the J&J was approved at 1 shot and has almost the exact same effectiveness as Pfizer with 1 shot.  If they are OK with J&J, then they must be OK with 1 shot of Pfizer (or Moderna)...   If they are not OK with 1 shot, like they posted, then they cannot be OK with 1 J&J shot either because they offer the same protection.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

You obviously have no clue how the real world works. If I had a vacation like this canceled this late, it is not as simple as saying "Oh, just do something else!!". It will take hours if not weeks to get everything canceled and refunded. It will take months working through insurance on the losses and most likely you will lose money. Booking flights for another vacation this close has gone up over 2x in price.

Thousands of people have already experienced this over the past 15 months. And, yes, supply and demand is on full display right now. I dread having to purchase tickets for flights to Europe next year for our TA in November. Prices are going to be crazy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a joke!  Get your crew fully vaccinated and then bring everyone back in to start off cruising.  They should not have had a start date in early July if they are still awaiting crew to get their second dose.  Then you test them after one dose?  Wow.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Tell that to the people that just lost 3 weeks of cruises.

It was the crew, not passengers. Rcl was bringing over the crew and got them vaccinated and before the end of the 2 weeks during routine crew testing got some positives.

 

How better to get crew vaccinated... they gotta take them onshore to get the doses. 

 

If people are this upset over the process for getting crew ready, they need to wait to cruise. Let those go who are ok if things dont go perfectly. I'm retired. It's not a big deal for me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

What a joke!  Get your crew fully vaccinated and then bring everyone back in to start off cruising.  They should not have had a start date in early July if they are still awaiting crew to get their second dose.  Then you test them after one dose?  Wow.

Again this was NOT the ship originally supposed to go from miami, it was independence OTS. Last week they decided to do a switch. Wow indeed. 

 

I'm for restarting and working thru the bumps. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Again this was NOT the ship originally supposed to go from miami, it was independence OTS. Last week they decided to do a switch. Wow indeed. 

 

I'm for restarting and working thru the bumps. 

 

I understand that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The way most cruisers think of the vaccine will be wildly different two months from now. Vaccinated people are still going to get and transmit the virus. Cases are going to occur on every cruise and eventually someone will even die who is fully vaccinated. It is a given based on the numbers in the general populace already. CDC had tracked over ten thousand breakthrough cases in the fully vaccinated before they stopped tracking the numbers except those who are hospitalized or die. (https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html#:~:text=As of May 1%2C 2021,clinical and public health importance.) So no one really knows the percentages of death in breakthrough cases, but the CDC has it defined as 2%. (https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/breakthrough-infections-are-rare-and-just-2-result-in-covid-19-deaths-cdc-says/). People are going to get covid while cruising and eventually someone is going to die from catching covid on a cruise who was fully vaccinated. 

 

It is time though to stop allowing this to end cruising. Covid is everywhere now and catching it on one type of travel should not end that travel. Keep in mind that most people have no reason to be tested post vaccine, so we really have no way to know the number of asymptomatic breakthrough cases. Cruises are going to test everyone. 

Edited by asalligo
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, asalligo said:

The way most cruisers think of the vaccine will be wildly different two months from now. Vaccinated people are still going to get and transmit the virus. Cases are going to occur on every cruise and eventually someone will even die who is fully vaccinated. It is a given based on the numbers in the general populace already. CDC had tracked over ten thousand breakthrough cases in the fully vaccinated before they stopped tracking the numbers except those who are hospitalized or die. (https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html#:~:text=As of May 1%2C 2021,clinical and public health importance.) So no one really knows the percentages of death in breakthrough cases, but the CDC has it defined as 2%. (https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/breakthrough-infections-are-rare-and-just-2-result-in-covid-19-deaths-cdc-says/). People are going to get covid while cruising and eventually someone is going to die from catching covid on a cruise who was fully vaccinated. 

 

It is time though to stop allowing this to end cruising. Covid is everywhere now and catching it on one type of travel should not end that travel. Keep in mind that most people have no reason to be tested post vaccine, so we really have no way to know the number of asymptomatic breakthrough cases. Cruises are going to test everyone. 

I totally agree...I’m sure there are many walking around that have been vaxxed, and aren’t even aware they might have it. I don’t understand either why there is still testing on vaxxed people. Didn’t the CDC say to stop that. Breakthrough cases are going to happen wherever you are, and most will be asymptomatic or have mild symptoms. I had mild symptoms. I wouldn’t have tested if my unvaxxed daughter (also mild symptoms) hadn’t tested positive. If I get cold like symptoms again, I will NOT test. Breakthrough cases are going to happen. For the at risk, who are not vaccinated, then they need to protect themselves. 

 

And I would like links to who is saying they had Pfizer...this is per Michael Bayley, President and CEO...2 days they would have been fully vaxxed. And technically, symptomatic only need to quarantine 10 days.

 

"All 1,400 crew onboard Odyssey of the Seas were vaccinated on June 4th and will be considered fully vaccinated on June 18. The positive cases were identified after the vaccination was given and before they were fully effective," Bayley said.
The company pushed back the Odyssey's inaugural sailing from July 3 to July 31. It was set to sail from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and make several stops in the Caribbean. A simulation cruise originally scheduled for late June will also be rescheduled. 
"While disappointing, this is the right decision for the health and well-being of our crew and guests," Bayley said. 
Six of the eight crew members who tested positive did not display any symptoms, while two had mild symptoms. All eight were quarantined and are being closely monitored by the company's medical team, Bayley said. 
"To protect the remaining crew and prevent any further cases, we will have all crew quarantined for 14 days and continue our routine testing," Bayley added.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Honest question.   Are you OK if the crew had been given the J&J vaccine and would consider them fully vaccinated?

 

 

Its not the number of shots its the time period after receiving the shots for it to take effect that determines if you are fully vaccinated.  Im good with any vaccine 1 shot or 2.  its still 2 weeks after receiving the shot before your considered fully vaccinated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

So if they got their dose in port of Canaveral and went on shore, might be where they were exposed. 

 

I dont think you are being reasonable in your expectations. They dont give doses on the ship, crew has to come onshore. People will be interacting. Getting the crew vaccinated isnt overnight. 

 

Some people have unreasonable expectations while the ships hire crew and get them vaccinated. If you want them to only hire vaccinated..they probably cant be found so the cruiseline has to hire hundreds and thousands and get them vaccinated.  Perfection isnt going to happen. Good thing you are waiting. 

 

To me it's how cases are handled not that there is never a positive case. 

let me try and explain as i don't think I'm being unreasonable.  You have a ship of crew that as per CDC protocols should have been tested before arrival, tested on arrival, and quarantined for 14 days while receiving periodic tests to ensure they are COVID Negative.  You need to get them vaccinated i get that so if it was me I would load them on a bus with a driver that had been tested that day. Drive them to vaccine center where the people giving the vaccine should also have been tested as COVID Negative.  They get their shot you load them back on bus you take them back to ship and you quarantine them again.  I definitely wouldn't let them "interact" with anybody.   Control the contact you control the exposure and the risk.  Also I may be waiting but that is due to the restrictions placed upon me by the Govt of Canada with respect to travelling out of country not because i am "afraid" of this virus.  Already had it and already vaccinated but not "FULLY" until the 24th which is when the required two weeks will have passed.  Trust me i would be there with you in July if i could.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

let me try and explain as i don't think I'm being unreasonable.  You have a ship of crew that as per CDC protocols should have been tested before arrival, tested on arrival, and quarantined for 14 days while receiving periodic tests to ensure they are COVID Negative.  You need to get them vaccinated i get that so if it was me I would load them on a bus with a driver that had been tested that day. Drive them to vaccine center where the people giving the vaccine should also have been tested as COVID Negative.  They get their shot you load them back on bus you take them back to ship and you quarantine them again.  I definitely wouldn't let them "interact" with anybody.   Control the contact you control the exposure and the risk.  Also I may be waiting but that is due to the restrictions placed upon me by the Govt of Canada with respect to travelling out of country not because i am "afraid" of this virus.  Already had it and already vaccinated but not "FULLY" until the 24th which is when the required two weeks will have passed.  Trust me i would be there with you in July if i could.

I don't believe they left Port Canaveral to get their vaccines.  The local news showed crew members receiving their vaccines and it looked like they were in the terminal.  So they likely walked off the ship directly into the terminal and went right back on the ship afterwards.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, cruisemom2 said:

I don't believe they left Port Canaveral to get their vaccines.  The local news showed crew members receiving their vaccines and it looked like they were in the terminal.  So they likely walked off the ship directly into the terminal and went right back on the ship afterwards.

then it should have been even easier to ensure they did not interact with anyone that could infect them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

let me try and explain as i don't think I'm being unreasonable.  You have a ship of crew that as per CDC protocols should have been tested before arrival, tested on arrival, and quarantined for 14 days while receiving periodic tests to ensure they are COVID Negative.  You need to get them vaccinated i get that so if it was me I would load them on a bus with a driver that had been tested that day. Drive them to vaccine center where the people giving the vaccine should also have been tested as COVID Negative.  They get their shot you load them back on bus you take them back to ship and you quarantine them again.  I definitely wouldn't let them "interact" with anybody.   Control the contact you control the exposure and the risk.  Also I may be waiting but that is due to the restrictions placed upon me by the Govt of Canada with respect to travelling out of country not because i am "afraid" of this virus.  Already had it and already vaccinated but not "FULLY" until the 24th which is when the required two weeks will have passed.  Trust me i would be there with you in July if i could.

Sentence 1 you say the crew should have been tested before arriving. .. per cdc.

 

I'm told only flights in you have to be tested, not arriving on a ship. I asked if we had to be tested to go thru customs in Galveston and everyone said oh not by ship. That's only if you fly in.

 

So start with sentence 1, the cdc says crew members have to be tested how long before setting foot on usa soil? 

 

You are quoted cdc to me stuff I've never heard of. If they have to be tested why dont we have to be tested when I reenter Galveston..we will have some unvaccinated onboard. What you say is opposite of others.. and I haven't gotten past line 1.

 

I dont mean it except as a question, as I think this is what you might want, but not what is. You claim they broke cdc protocols. Accidents are going to happen. Please we dont need the cdc making more rules... but for sure if you have this cdc rule, could link to it or copy it? I'm just saying both cant be true, no tests required for me to reenter usa and tests required for crew. Ill be in international waters and maybe in some ports. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

Where these folks sick? 

Six of them are asymptomatic and two have mild symptoms, according to Royal Caribbean CEO Michael Bayley.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, cruisemom2 said:

Six of them are asymptomatic and two have mild symptoms, according to Royal Caribbean CEO Michael Bayley.

Thanks for the information- this is good news showing the vaccine reduces the chances of serve illness. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...