Best cruise for scenery besides Norway and Alaska

My husband and I are older and don’t do excursions any more. We are looking for a cruise that has a lot of scenery that we can see from our balcony. Our last cruise was to Norway. It was the best cruise we have ever been on. Of coarse the glaciers in Alaska were beautiful to.
Looking for another cruise to book.

Posted (edited)

Cruising the sounds of New Zealand was pretty good although not all NZ ports are as scenic as the sounds were.  Departing from Sydney was pretty scenic.

The Panama Canal was incredible and one of my top cruises.   

Edited by TheConstantCruiser
  • Like 2

The drive by Antarctica cruises are fabulous - and also depending on the line they sail the glaciers in Patagonia.  I am not sure if Royal Caribbean does this cruise but Celebrity and Holland America have these cruises.

The Fjords of Chile and Antarctica, cruises that visit Dusky, Doubtful, and Milford Sounds in New Zealand, sailing into the harbor of Bora Bora and some of the South Pacific islands, sailing into/from Venice, Greenland's Prins Christian Sund, sailing into Tokyo Bay and docking actually at a pier in Tokyo, sailing into Hong Kong, entering Sydney harbor--particularly if one is "up and about" before your ship passes "The Heads" and begins the harbor sail-in--, the entrance or exit from New York Harbor always delights me:  there are so many that I'd rank as scenic and are those who I would enjoy having a repeat experience.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

River cruises in Europe are especially scenic and they usually have a "gentle" tour which does not require much walking or you can stay onboard or venture into town on your own.  There is usually a half day of incredibly scenic cruising such as the Castles on the Rhine and the Danube Bend. The castles on the Rhine cruising day was magical on our Uniworld cruise.  And the river boats are parked literally in town so you can explore briefly on your own if you choose.  

I also highly recommend a Panama Canal cruise.  It is an amazing sight.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

1 hour ago, dianfarmer said:

Who offers this cruise

Princess has an August cruise that 

1 hour ago, dianfarmer said:

Who offers this cruise

Also Princess and I think others have northern transatlantics that visit these ports.  We were really lucky  and did Holland's Voyage of the Vikings, normally a very expensive cruise at a very low price.  Holland cancelled a transatlantic that we had booked and gave us the Viking cruise at the same price per day.   In August 22 we are doing the Princess 16 night round trip from New York to Greenland and Canada  I don't think we will get to see St Christiansund  but maybe some other ice bergs.  We are going primarily for the sea days and the scenery..

Agree with Antarctica and the Chilean fjords (can be done in one cruise), and Greenland.

I would not say that cruising Croatia, at least not on a large cruise ship, is scenic. Perhaps on a small coastal cruiser...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dianfarmer said:

Who offers this cruise

Viking offers this as part of its "In the Wake of the Vikings" transatlantic cruise.

If you're not intending to leave the ship then finding a cruise that would provide you with fab scenery most of the time might be difficult.  The Panama Canal is fantastic, but it's only 1 day, as is visiting the Sounds of New Zealand.  Sailing in and out of Sydney Harbour is also spectacular.  This is in the heart of the city so you could get off the ship and have a gentle stroll.  Iceland is good as well, but it's beauty lies in doing excursions.  The Corinthian Canal in Greece looks interesting as well but is blocked at the moment due to land slip.

As someone else suggested, maybe a river cruise would fit your requirements better than an ocean cruise?

22 hours ago, time4u2go said:

River cruises in Europe.

I was thinking the same thing.......but in my opinion, the best part is actually seeing the places......the OP said they don't do excursions......to me, that is what a river cruise is all about.  They offer some wonderful tours. 

They can have beautiful scenery but once the boat is docked? Not much too see really.

21 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I would not say that cruising Croatia, at least not on a large cruise ship, is scenic. Perhaps on a small coastal cruiser...

What part of the coast I could see from the Amsterdam was ordinary, I thought.  Port call had to be cancelled due to inclement weather.  The tenders could not safely be used.  

I have friends who have visited that area on a small coastal cruise ship and they thought it was very scenic.  

Many beautiful places and good itineraries have been mentioned already.  Another port worth a mention is Kotor, Montenegro.  You arrive via the Bay of Kotor with scenic views on both sides.  Although it is a tender port, the Old Town is just steps from the dock, and is easy to explore on your own.  We did a Mediterranean cruise with Royal Caribbean that included Kotor and Venice.  Wonderful!