UK Cancellation Coming - MSC Contacting Those Affected

Posted (edited)

Just hearing that - due to the English lockdown extension - MSC need to reduce numbers for cruises departing after June 21st.

They are contacting those affected and will be bumping passengers the later they booked their cruise ie the earlier you booked the better chance of sailing.

I haven't heard what (if any) perks are being given to those whose cruise needs to be rescheduled - obviously full refund or FCC options will apply too.

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

MSC CRUISES OFFERS GUESTS IMPACTED BY CONTINUING CRUISE CAPACITY RESTRICTIONS FOR MSC VIRTUOSA SAILINGS IN THE UK ALTERNATIVE BOOKING OPTIONS
Sailings to visit some of the UK’s favourite destinations to remain limited to 1,000 guests onboard until 19 July
London, UK - 16 June 2021 – MSC Cruises is disappointed that it has been necessary for the Government to delay the planned easing of COVID restrictions in England and maintain the current capacity restrictions on certain indoor venues, which limit our cruise ship to operating with a maximum of 1,000 guests onboard at any given time. This comes following the position announced last week by the Scottish Government that cruise calls in Scotland are only recommended to begin once all areas are designated as Level 1 of its COVID restrictions.
Like all of the UK, the Company had fully expected that most restrictions would be removed from 21 June onwards and so was ready to host more than 1,000 guests on its flagship, MSC Virtuosa, under the safety of its industry leading health and safety protocol, which includes repeated universal testing at embarkation and during cruises.
However, as this capacity restriction is expected to continue to apply until 19 July, MSC Cruises regrets that a number of UK guests who have booked a cruise departing after 21 June but before 19 July may need to be assisted to rebook on a sailing departing after the restriction is removed. Whilst still seeking further clarifications from the relevant authorities and continuing to monitor for developments, the Company will initially begin by contacting those affected guests due to embark between 23 June and 26 June.
MSC Cruises has adopted a fair criterion based on the earlier date of booking so that the first 1,000 guests will maintain their bookings, and it can be assured that guests booked on sailings prior to the 21 June are unaffected entirely. In addition to a variety of rebooking options, guests will be offered the option of a refund. More details will be available shortly on msccruises.co.uk and through the MSC Cruises’ contact centre or its travel agent partners.
MSC Cruises looks forward to the eventual easing of COVID restrictions in the UK so cruising can play a bigger role in the vital restart of British tourism and its contribution to the economy, and it can offer more UK residents that safe and richly deserved holiday option this summer.
-ENDS-

Edited by Couple-Somerset

• Couple-Somerset changed the title to UK Cancellation Coming - MSC Contacting Those Affected
Posted (edited)

Bit of a worry - my online booking for June 26th is showing an error.

Need to establish if they are using our original booking date or the date we moved our cruise date.

Original booking date and we'll be fine - date the sailing date was moved and we'll probably be sat at home.

SPOOKY - JUST GOT AN EMAIL - "Your booking XXXXXXX; Bon voyage, are you ready to live the dream?"

Which, knowing how MSC work probably means its about to be cancelled lol grrrr

Edited by Couple-Somerset

9 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

Need to establish if they are using our original booking date or the date we moved our cruise date.

Original booking date and we'll be fine - date the sailing date was moved and we'll probably be sat at home.

Mine too 😞

I can only imagine we will be bumped from next weeks sailing. We only booked this month after getting off and having such a great time we wanted to go again. 

I do however think “first come, first served” was the fairest way to go for MSC. Even though that means I won’t be going. 

More than a bit worried about our 3rd July cruise and degree of ‘bumping’ necessary given it was taken off sale before any others!!!! Only time will tell I guess…..

Rumours on the book of faces suggests no actual ‘incentive or compensation’ offered to those cancelled out. Think it’s a credit for amount spent against another cruise or refund…..

Just can’t see why those in YC shouldn’t get priority to sail over all others………….. 

ps before the blood boils with ‘come the revolution’ gang! Only joking!!!!!!!!!!! First booked first sail has to be right answer.

I would have no issue with them keeping all YC guests as booked - on these cruises the YC cabins have been horrendously overpriced so that would be ££££ for MSC - and cruise lines definitely need the money right now.

PS no, I'm not booked in YC lol

As this was breaking news I got my tickets emailed for 3rd July from the TA so just got off the phone to them and asked does this mean I'm going or staying? They literally have only found out by people calling in. So they don't know. They are now trying to get clarification from msc. So not going to print anything out till I have had conformation from TA & msc one way or the other.

There's sort of an amazing irony at work here: we booked the MSC Virtuosa last year in order to see Norway, and a few months ago, MSC decided to reposition the Virtuosa to the UK, so we were booted and are supposed to be on the Seaview instead, albeit with a revised (and, to us, inferior itinerary, and it's restricted to Schengen Area residents-for now).

Now the US has been put on the EU's list of safe countries, so we might yet be able to sail with MSC in Europe.  And yet the UK is under continued restrictions.

1 hour ago, Couple-Somerset said:

I would have no issue with them keeping all YC guests as booked - on these cruises the YC cabins have been horrendously overpriced so that would be ££££ for MSC - and cruise lines definitely need the money right now.

PS no, I'm not booked in YC lol

Yep too true…. We are doing one ‘horrendously overpriced’ YC and one ‘cheaper than chips’ to ensure that between them they evened out! …..also we drank twice our body weight in Bombay sapphire gin each day too for good measure…..

I'm keeping everything crossed that we are still on our July 17th sailing 🤞🤞

Having booked within 48 hours of them going on sale I would hope the two cabins we have are within the first 1,000 passengers. 

1 hour ago, johnnylincoln said:

Having booked within 48 hours of them going on sale I would hope the two cabins we have are within the first 1,000 passengers. 

Can you remember when the cruises went on sail? We booked on April 16th but can’t remember how long they’d been out for! 

Just now, ConnieTact said:

Can you remember when the cruises went on sail? We booked on April 16th but can’t remember how long they’d been out for! 

@ConnieTact We bought on the first day as we had two Magnifica UK cruises that got cancelled.
The first day was 1st April.
I think you will be safe on 16th, there is no way they sold that many that quickly.

4 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

@ConnieTact We bought on the first day as we had two Magnifica UK cruises that got cancelled.
The first day was 1st April.
I think you will be safe on 16th, there is no way they sold that many that quickly.

1st April…….hmmm! April Fool’s day eh?! 😅🤣

Thanks for the reassurance.

Ziggy, if we are both still on it….hold those drinks for us!! 🥂🥂We’ll need them!! 😅x

1 minute ago, ConnieTact said:

1st April…….hmmm! April Fool’s day eh?! 😅🤣

Thanks for the reassurance.

Ziggy, if we are both still on it….hold those drinks for us!! 🥂🥂We’ll need them!! 😅x

You will be, don't worry.

I will be lining them up from 11am 🍾🍹🍻🍷🧉🍸🥂🍺

I remember saying that at the time, they cancel two of my trips and I'm stupid enough to rebook on April fools day🤣

3 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

I remember saying that at the time, they cancel two of my trips and I'm stupid enough to rebook on April fools day🤣

Never a truer word spoken in jest and all that!

We always wondered what may happen with such uncertain times. Never banking on anything anymore! 
My top saying

”if there’s one thing I know…..

It’s that I don’t  know nuffink!” 🤗

7 minutes ago, ConnieTact said:

Never a truer word spoken in jest and all that!

We always wondered what may happen with such uncertain times. Never banking on anything anymore! 
My top saying

”if there’s one thing I know…..

It’s that I don’t  know nuffink!” 🤗

So true!

I have completely given up second guessing things, just when they look like they are straightening out it all goes to pot again.

Think back at the first few trips, they did not even fill those up, I'm sure they were nowhere near 1000 for a July cruise.

I'm sure all those who were desperate to get back on a ship booked much earlier than July.

If anything there was probably a flurry a few weeks ago when the gov moved all the green countries to amber.

7 hours ago, Couple-Somerset said:

We are booked on the 5 night one from Liverpool on 24th June.  We only booked a couple of weeks ago, so thinking we will be bumped off.  We can still login though and our booking is still there, as it was previously,

Is yours still showing an error?  It sounds as though you shoud be fine with your booking, I hope so if you booked that long ago.

5 minutes ago, tring said:

We are booked on the 5 night one from Liverpool on 24th June.  We only booked a couple of weeks ago, so thinking we will be bumped off.  We can still login though and our booking is still there, as it was previously,

Is yours still showing an error?  It sounds as though you shoud be fine with your booking, I hope so if you booked that long ago.

I hope you are OK, if the worst happens you might get an OBC with a rebook, we got £250 OBC for our UK Magnifica cancellation. 

9 hours ago, johnnylincoln said:

Oh no, I’ve just seen this. We didn’t book our 17th July cruise until 16 May, I hope we still get to go. When I login to MSC my booking is showing, but an error message appears if I try to “plan my cruise”  🙁

We booked on the 1st April and got word yesterday that our cruise on the 23rd June is cancelled but we were supposed to be embarking in Greenock, we thought there might have been a chance of being bussed to Liverpool but it's not to be obviously due to the number of passengers allowed on board.

The options are a refund or re-book another date so we need a crystal ball to see if the restrictions will be lifted very disappointed as we were looking forward to being on the ship.

2 minutes ago, NightWoman said:

We booked on the 1st April and got word yesterday that our cruise on the 23rd June is cancelled but we were supposed to be embarking in Greenock, we thought there might have been a chance of being bussed to Liverpool but it's not to be obviously due to the number of passengers allowed on board.

The options are a refund or re-book another date so we need a crystal ball to see if the restrictions will be lifted very disappointed as we were looking forward to being on the ship.

Are you able to rebook another date without further cost? I’ve noticed the cruises departing 24 July and later are now quite a lot more expensive than what we paid for our 17 July cruise.

19 minutes ago, Notts1964 said:

Oh no, I’ve just seen this. We didn’t book our 17th July cruise until 16 May, I hope we still get to go. When I login to MSC my booking is showing, but an error message appears if I try to “plan my cruise”  🙁

Hi I booked my 3rd of July on 1st April and had the same thing. I don't know if it will work with yours but get rid of error message and click on booking details on the tabs and the cruise details should come up. I've just done mine again to make sure. I have 2 other cruises booked with them and can't see those either as see all my cruises button has disappeared. I have the app as well and can get all the booking details on there. I don't know if this helps. Fingers crossed for you.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NightWoman said:

I'm really sorry this has happened, I think this is outrageous, they could at least offer you the opportunity to board under your own steam on the same day from Liverpool, how can they possibly say they will handle it on first come basis when you booked on the first day and get cancelled! 

They are clearly taking the easy option and cancelling everyone out of Greenock.

Are they offering any OBC with the rebook?

"MSC Cruises has adopted a fair criterion based on the earlier date of booking so that the first 1,000 guests will maintain their bookings"

Edited by ziggyuk