Sea roughness Barcelona to La Coruna?

mlbcruiser

Considering a cruise along the eastern coast of Spain and up the coast of Portugal to La Coruna, Spain. I have sailed north from Barcelona in the Mediterranean. I imagine the seas don’t get too rough until you pass Gibraltar and head north along Portugal’s coast toward Cadiz and La Coruna in the Atlantic. If anyone is familiar with the seas in that area in August, can you please comment on whether or not it often gets rough at that time of year? I am familiar with the difference between heading south out of Florida in the Atlantic and then cutting west into the Caribbean. There is often a definite difference! 

Hoping someone with experience cruising along those coasts will reply.

Yes it does. Probably wouldn’t even fly back to Madrid. Well if we couldn’t rent a car we at least have to take a train. But we have driven all over Spain except for the area west of Aviles and over near Portugal. I’ve only driven in Lisbon and and areas outside of it as far Portugal goes. Back on fourth on the whole idea of the cruise anyway. Problem having seen so many areas we love in Spain, we want to revisit all of those and go to places we’ve never been before. Can’t do all of that and do a cruise. Not enough time or money. 

4 hours ago, mlbcruiser said:

Yes it does. Probably wouldn’t even fly back to Madrid. Well if we couldn’t rent a car we at least have to take a train. But we have driven all over Spain except for the area west of Aviles and over near Portugal. I’ve only driven in Lisbon and and areas outside of it as far Portugal goes. Back on fourth on the whole idea of the cruise anyway. Problem having seen so many areas we love in Spain, we want to revisit all of those and go to places we’ve never been before. Can’t do all of that and do a cruise. Not enough time or money. 

I agree!  We drove from Madrid to Bilbao, then to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port and followed the Camino de Santiago (by car to Leon and then with a walking tour to Santiago) – and while we experienced things along our route fully, we missed the caves on the coast and other sites in northern Spain.  And it rained both days in Santiago, so I'd really like to go back and see it with blue skies!

Speaking of rain, we’ve driven a few times to various places all around Spain, but the last time we focused mostly on Asturias - my grandparents were from the Aviles near Oviedo. Wanted to visit places around the Picos de Europa and go on to San Sebastián & Santillana Del Mar, etc. The initial plan was to fly into Madrid and first drive to San Sebastian, following the coast westward from there. I checked the weather report about three days before leaving the US. Lots of rain was forecast for the San Sebastian area. Of course it is a greener and wetter than many parts of Spain, but I still hoped for good weather. It was very early June. Thankfully I was able to reverse our itinerary at the last minute. I contacted two hotels and a charming B&B I had already made reservations for and was able to change the dates of our stays with no penalties. (I always leave a couple of days open on our itineraries so problems for other nights.) It all worked out beautifully and we had fabulous weather during that whole trip! Although it had rained heavily near San Sebastian during the days we initially would have been there, we  had cloudless,  glorious blue skies.