Jump to content

cove balcony


Recommended Posts

Sometimes they sell for more than a regular. Do you want the experience of being 2 decks up from the water? Or closer to the buffet. Regular have a bar across and cove have circles cut to look thru without a bar I'm told. Some love them. Lots more walking.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We love them. Firefly is right. Very close to the water and they are on deck 2. A far distance from the Lido deck. And only up 1 flight of stairs to the MDR, for sea day brunch and Dinner in the MDR. We found that extremely beneficial. Here's some pics of our cove balcony on the Dream, from late July, 2019:

 

20190727_165809.jpg

20190727_213351.jpg

20190727_215850.jpg

20190727_215920.jpg

20190729_164325.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some of the pros: For Embarkation and Debarkation, you don't have to wait for an elevator to take you to or from the deck that the cove balconies are located on. You only have to walk down or up one flight of stairs. Being closer to the water makes it easy to watch for sea life, such as flying fish and dolphins. If you're cabin happens to be on the side facing the pier when in port, it's the perfect place to watch for pier runners. Cove balconies are more private than standard balconies. Some of the cons: Because cove balconies are recessed, you won't get a lot of direct sunshine, so it's not the best place to work on your tan. (For those that try to avoid a lot of direct sunshine, this may be a "pro".) If there is a lifeboat above your cabin, it could hinder stargazing at night. Some have complained about water splashing up on their balcony, but that may depend on how close you are to the front of the ship. We typically book a cove balcony that is more midship, and haven't had much of a problem with water splashing up. To avoid overhead noise as much as possible, try to avoid booking a cabin that is directly under the ship's galley.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Sometimes they sell for more than a regular. Do you want the experience of being 2 decks up from the water? Or closer to the buffet. Regular have a bar across and cove have circles cut to look thru without a bar I'm told. Some love them. Lots more walking.

 

 

I'm guessing you're referring the steel wall across the front of the balcony. On the new ship, the Mardi Gras, the steel walls have been replaced by plexiglass to make it much easier to see the ocean when sitting on your balcony.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

I'm guessing you're referring the steel wall across the front of the balcony. On the new ship, the Mardi Gras, the steel walls have been replaced by plexiglass to make it much easier to see the ocean when sitting on your balcony.

The one I remember was plexiglass but had a bar across the top of the plexiglass that broke my sight line. All the regular balconies didnt have a clear sight line. I like a sitting up type chair to sit and read, not a lounge chair. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree there are Pros and cons. We booked as a “balcony guarantee”and ended up with a Cove. This was on the horizon. We were in the same hallway as the family harbor rooms. Ultimately I don’t recommend this area if you don’t have kids. Lots of slamming doors, screaming, and running down the halls. A “pro” is they do have more shade so they are pretty comfy to sit on all day (con if you want to work on your tan. Another pro is privacy (if you are a private person like me). Con: we did have rough seas last night and did have water splash up. Would this be my first choice in room? No. Would I book again if it was the only balcony available? Sure. As long as it’s not in the family harbor hall. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had a cove balcony out of Galveston and loved it. Being so close to the water was fantastic. We were up in the front of the ship, and loved watching the water breaking off the bow, spending on how fast we were going. I brought our hammock and DH spent many an evening chilling out there, even though it was a bit damp at times. I highly recommend experiencing it at least once. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

We had a cove balcony out of Galveston and loved it. Being so close to the water was fantastic. We were up in the front of the ship, and loved watching the water breaking off the bow, spending on how fast we were going. I brought our hammock and DH spent many an evening chilling out there, even though it was a bit damp at times. I highly recommend experiencing it at least once. 

How do you hook your hammock? Is it allowed? That sounds amazing.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

We brought long strapping and wrapped it around the post on one side of the door, and down to the railing on the other side (so it's sort of diagonal. We took it down when we weren't using it, tring to not make it obvious. But it's a great place for napping. Here's a pic from our balcony in Alaska, with DH taking a nap. Yes, that is a little iceberg you see in the water. (Pics or it didn't happen, right?!?)

 

91A05FA4-0CBA-4249-93A5-128DABAE8664_1_105_c.jpeg

DB773649-B74E-491F-B657-A3AC69D490B5.jpeg

Edited by Wanna_Cruize
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

We brought long strapping and wrapped it around the post on one side of the door, and down to the railing on the other side (so it's sort of diagonal. We took it down when we weren't using it, tring to not make it obvious. But it's a great place for napping. Here's a pic from our balcony in Alaska, with DH taking a nap. Yes, that is a little iceberg you see in the water. (Pics or it didn't happen, right?!?)

 

91A05FA4-0CBA-4249-93A5-128DABAE8664_1_105_c.jpeg

DB773649-B74E-491F-B657-A3AC69D490B5.jpeg

Thank you. Pictures are so awesome. On our Alaska cruise it was so overcast we couldn't even see the shoreline. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first time we upgraded to a balcony, it was a cove.  It was on the Vista, May 2016.  Since then, we have decided that we like regular balconies better.  Mostly because the cove felt more closed off.  If it were the only balcony left though, I would book it. Here is the view from our cove balcony.  I wish I were there right now. 

_storage_emulated_0_DCIM_Camera_20160522_200604.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Coves are our favorite balconies.  We had Spa Balconies, Lido balconies, etc.  Cove is our favorite for many reasons. 

 

Main reasons are: 

 

- We love being close to the water and the view.  

- We love the privacy.

- We love the coves because the balconies are a bit larger than regular.  They have more leg room and don't feel like my legs are crammed in a box like the regular balconies with the glass wall.  

- We love the location - close to the MDR and easy one story walk up the stairs.  Same for the Atrium and main deck.  Also, close to the decks for embarkation and disembarkation at ports.  No elevator wait.

- Easy to get an elevator to the Lido and upper decks with no craziness trying to get on one.

 

Just some of the reasons.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Coves on the Mardi Gras are on Deck 5, so not as low to the water.  One good thing about the coves on other ships is that close to the water it's not as rocky.  Most are near midships so less up and down too.  And, they are especially useful in watch pier runners up close.😆

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Coves on the Mardi Gras are on Deck 5, so not as low to the water.  One good thing about the coves on other ships is that close to the water it's not as rocky.  Most are near midships so less up and down too.  And, they are especially useful in watch pier runners up close.😆

 


So true about the pier runners.  


The Coves are on deck 5 on the new Mardi Gras and Celebration ships but still the second deck of cabins.  Also, by the pictures, it still looks low but as low as the Dream class obviously because the ships are larger.

 

Hope you are well, crewsweeper.  Are you getting on the Mardi Gras any time soon? Have a great weekend!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We love the cove balconies too, and have never had problems with noisy kids, but then we try not to sail during school holidays or summer. One tip - check out what's directly above your room. Once we were under the kitchen and it was noisy from early morning until late at night. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, CJHAN said:

There were day I could literally fell the ocean spray on my face in the morning. That alone was enough for me.

Did feeling the ocean spray on your face make you happy or unhappy? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, scubamargie said:

We love the cove balconies too......

I hope you're right, I just booked a cove balcony on Magic for a September cruise and will hold you personally responsible if I don't like the cabin.  😁 

 

I got lucky and reserved the last cove that was available that wasn't below either the galley or theatre. I've always either had a regular balcony or on a couple of occasions a suite and figured I'd try a cove balcony for a change to see what I think.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...