Spotlight on... (Hollywood)

gcorgain

Hi,

First, I'd like to thank everyone on the board for your very informative posts. They have been instrumental in getting me to switch from the Celebrity Suite Class world to Regent starting next year. I'm hoping my last Celebrity Transatlantic cancels so I can book one of the new Explorer cruises, but in the meantime I'm on the Spotlight on Hollywood cruise next fall. I haven't seen these type of cruises discussed much. I'm wondering what to expect and I'm hoping someone can elaborate. Also, I booked before they added the Spotlight. I now see that you need to book with a promotion code to see all the events. Should I see if my TA can add it, or is that really necessary?

Thanks,

Greg

19 hours ago, gcorgain said:

Hi,

First, I'd like to thank everyone on the board for your very informative posts. They have been instrumental in getting me to switch from the Celebrity Suite Class world to Regent starting next year. I'm hoping my last Celebrity Transatlantic cancels so I can book one of the new Explorer cruises, but in the meantime I'm on the Spotlight on Hollywood cruise next fall. I haven't seen these type of cruises discussed much. I'm wondering what to expect and I'm hoping someone can elaborate. Also, I booked before they added the Spotlight. I now see that you need to book with a promotion code to see all the events. Should I see if my TA can add it, or is that really necessary?

Thanks,

Greg

I’ve never seen that before myself, but I’d check with your TA.  One would think if you need a special code-it could be a charter cruise.  

OK, here's the deal with the Artful Travelers (aka PBS/NPR) Spotlight cruises (we've done one...was great...and have been chasing the oft postponed and now 8/22 Spotlight cruise on the Great Wars):

Everyone on board will have access to much of the program in the form of presentations in the theater.  Like previews of upcoming, not-yet-aired PBS or NPR programs.  However, registering (and for our cruise, the code was mentioned on the Regent web site) costs nothing, but is, presumably, capacity controlled because you'll get invites to smaller venues (like one of the lounges) for additional presentations.  And, we got the invitations to have to have dinner with some of the featured "cast" members.  Quotes because the speakers include actual cast, producers, directors of NPR and PBS shows (some specifics will be shown for your cruise).  Fascinating conversations.  Somewhat more information can be found on the Artful Travelers web site (artfultravelers.com).  So, a great experience at no additional cost if you like NPR/PBS programming.

Edited by Portolan
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Portolan said:

OK, here's the deal with the Artful Travelers (aka PBS/NPR) Spotlight cruises (we've done one...was great...and have been chasing the oft postponed and now 8/22 Spotlight cruise on the Great Wars):

Everyone on board will have access to much of the program in the form of presentations in the theater.  Like previews of upcoming, not-yet-aired PBS or NPR programs.  However, registering (and for our cruise, the code was mentioned on the Regent web site) costs nothing, but is, presumably, capacity controlled because you'll get invites to smaller venues (like one of the lounges) for additional presentations.  And, we got the invitations to have to have dinner with some of the featured "cast" members.  Quotes because the speakers include actual cast, producers, directors of NPR and PBS shows (some specifics will be shown for your cruise).  Fascinating conversations.  Somewhat more information can be found on the Artful Travelers web site (artfultravelers.com).  So, a great experience at no additional cost if you like NPR/PBS programming.

My question would be why a special code if it’s for anyone that is non that cruise.  You can still have capacity controlled without a special code someone has to find.

5 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

My question would be why a special code if it’s for anyone that is non that cruise.  You can still have capacity controlled without a special code someone has to find.

You don't need to do anything to have access to the large scale programs in the theater.  The code is strictly for access to the capacity-controlled events.  Not unlike choosing an excursion which has capacity limits.

BTW, you get confirmation that you have an "excursion" for the embarkation port when registered.

Edited by Portolan

2 hours ago, Portolan said:

You don't need to do anything to have access to the large scale programs in the theater.  The code is strictly for access to the capacity-controlled events.  Not unlike choosing an excursion which has capacity limits.

BTW, you get confirmation that you have an "excursion" for the embarkation port when registered.

What is the difference between capacity controlled or capacity limits.

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked on this cruise, so thanks for all the info & tips about the on-board events.

https://artfultravelers.com/spotlight-on-pbs-hollywood/

fullsizeoutput_582.thumb.jpeg.023ece6070fd3fa480a250c6007378a2.jpeg

We have asked our TA/Regent to add the code "SPO' to our booking and are now looking forward even more to this cruise on one of our favourite ships, Seven Seas Mariner

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 4:57 PM, mrlevin said:

And, for the upcoming near term 2021 cruises they still don't have lecturers identified.

Mr Levin - This will be "slightly off-topic", but I hope my fellow posters will provide me with a "bit of lee-way".  Once upon a time, this board had lots of discussions and threads regarding "who" the upcoming CD's would be for various cruises.

Of course now, the hot topic is understandably focused primarily on whether a particular cruise will even sail or not!  But now that some Itineraries have actually been announced once again, does anyone have an "inside track" on who the CD's might be for some of these upcoming cruises?

I certainly don't want to give anyone the impression that "who" a particular CD slated for a particular cruise is a "burning make or break issue" for me, but just wondering if anyone on the board has seen any info regarding this topic?  Best Regards to all! 

We have been on several Artful Traveler cruises.  They are a wonderful addition.   They add an enrichment to the daily program.  We have taken advantage of lunches with the presenters and smaller gatherings in the lounges which can be very popular.   Just ask your travel agent to add it to your booking.  That way you will feel more a part of the group and have info sent to the suite.  They have a desk set up near the front office.  You can stop off there and get additional info.  

One of ours had to do with Broadway entertainers.  The performers were outstanding.  Another focused on political forecasting.  A third focused on Cold War country experiences.

Edited by Eager2Travel
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Ping pong…. We are on December 8th on Splendor… I checked with John Barron to see if he was the CD.

Yay, he is. I love most of the CD’s but John is my favorite. 
I am a happy camper. 
sheila

Hopefully he will still be on the next cruise along with Lynsey and the boys for Christmas. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 1:19 PM, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Ping pong…. We are on December 8th on Splendor… I checked with John Barron to see if he was the CD.

Yay, he is. I love most of the CD’s but John is my favorite. 
I am a happy camper. 
sheila

Sheila, could you find out if John Barron is CD on the Splendor on the earlier sailings?  We board Sept 22 in London and disembark Dec 7 in Miami.  The CD makes so much difference.  Regent's office can't (or won't) give out the information.  Thank you!