July 3 Bahamas Cruise Blog - Boldly Going Where None Have Gone .... Recently

5 minutes ago, SuitCaseBears said:

I appreciate those of you who encouraged me to post earlier. 

I didn't think you were being judgmental and I was so looking forward to your husband's pictures- especially food ones😁  Please reconsider.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

I didn't think you were being judgmental and I was so looking forward to your husband's pictures- especially food ones😁  Please reconsider.

How can I deny a fellow foodie.  My husband has uploaded some pictures so I'm going to look right now and see what I can post. 

• Like 2

Let me know if the menu worked because I could see the cheese picture. I'll start organizing other pictures but wont upload more till I'm sure they are visible. 

But the Vintage Dinner was a terrific experience. I don't drink much and can't tell a good wine from a bad one - so I just had a tiny sip of each wine. But everyone else said they were terrific, and well paired. In fact the Cloudy Bay (I think it was that one) was not that popular until they had a taste of the crab appetizer that went with it - and suddenly everyone's opinion of the wine changed for the better. That's a tribute to the sommelier and chefs working well together. 

I can however, speak about the food. What I particularly liked was that it was not over complicated. Sometimes at Chef's table type dinners the chefs throw everything but the kitchen sink into their dishes and they actually lose something in the process. 

As I get the pictures uploaded I'll tell you about it. 

But without pictures I can tell you we had the best table-mates. There was a family (a couple and her parents) from Texas, and two couples from California.  And we all hit it off. There was much laugher in between the sommelier's excellent discussion of the wines.  

But let's see if those pictures are working at all. 

10 minutes ago, SuitCaseBears said:

Let me know if the menu worked because I could see the cheese picture. I'll start organizing other pictures but wont upload more till I'm sure they are visible. 

I can see the menu and am getting excited.  I want to book the the Vintage Room.  Can I do it before I board or do I book it when I get on the ship?

11 minutes ago, SuitCaseBears said:

But let's see if those pictures are working at all. 

The menu picture worked - nothing else though

I'm assuming the "likes" mean you could see pictures. So here we go with food:

This is the crab appetizer. As you can see it's a piece of crab leg on top of some crab salad. But it wasn't crab-like stuff with mayo. It was lightly sauced crab. And the glistening you see is from a light coating of that celery and chive oil.  As I said, not over done with flavor on top of flavor. 

crab appetizer vintage room dinner.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stickman1990 said:

You can do it before you board through PCPC 

You can also book after you board 

Yup, we apparently were the first to have reserved it through PCPC because the sommelier came to our cabin when we first arrived to make sure we were still interested.  By the time of our dinner he said he had people for one more seating later in the cruise.  But if you love wine and/or food it's just a really special evening.  

I can't find pictures of the risotto or the salmon. But the Salmon was noteworthy - I expected a sliced, lox-like smoked salmon, but it was a big chunk about an 1 1/2" x 1/2" x 3/4" of salmon perfectly smoked. Not an easy task.

But here's the main course. Yummo. The brown small stick looking thing was the salsify and pumpernickel. It was a piece of salsify (a mild root veggie) cooked and then rolled in very very fine pumpernickel bread crumbs. Very unusual.  And for once, the truffles in the potatoes were well balanced and didn't overwhelm the potatoes. 

main course vintage room.jpg

• Like 2

SO that's it for tonight folks. The uploading has been slow because my husband is uploading to drop box and then I'm downloading to be able to save things with names and make them a little smaller so I can upload them here. And I think we've constipated our internet service provider. 

More food, some reports on the shows and whatever else looks interesting. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, SuitCaseBears said:

I really didn't want to make this about Covid so I will get back to my report on the cruise. 

Our first dinner was at Uma Umi. Our waiter was Anthony who seemed to be worried that my husband and I would starve to death without his intervention. I've never met anyone other than my grandmother who could push food on a person so lovingly.  Every time we felt we'd had enough of the sushi-sashimi part of the menu, he would inform us we just HAD to try something else. And he was right. 

The food was inventive and overwhelmingly yummy. Of particular note was the tempura. Finding the balance between crisp and hard or light and insubstantial is very difficult. We ordered a second order of the vegetable tempura both our first night and our second because it was so perfect. Of the "entrees" the rock shrimp in a creamy spicy sauce which might have looked a lot like the standard spicy mayonnaise in most Japanese restaurants, but was much more nuanced and light, was our favorite.

I put "entrees" in quotes because they too are a small plates.

There was no evidence that this was the first meal the restaurant was serving to guests.  And we later learned from some crew who had been stuck on the ship for months after the initial quarantines, that they had all taken turns playing guest at various restaurants and venues, and the chefs had a chance to keep up their skills. 

Hi.  I've enjoyed your comments, photos, etc., and would like to ask a question that is essentially Covid-related, which I hope doesn't upset anyone.

My husband and I are sailing on one of the Bermuda sailings out of Boston  (where we live).  I am immunocompromised because of some medication I have to take, so I am trying to be particularly careful even though I am vaccinated (as they sort out whether to give a third vaccine shot to people who are immunocompromised since there seems to be some lessening of the effectiveness of the vaccine for immunocompromised people).  Anyway, I just got tired of cancelling various cruise and other vacation plans over the last 16 months or so, and thought a cruise right out of Boston would be perfect. 

So here's my question after that long introduction.  You mention that your first dinner was at Uma Umi. I've booked that restaurant for dinner on our first night, thinking that that might be a time when it would be less crowded than other nights (and so we might be able to get a table that has a decent amount of space from tables around it).  Assuming you did in fact go there on your first night, did it seem to you not very crowded, or am I making an incorrect assumption?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

So here's my question after that long introduction.  You mention that your first dinner was at Uma Umi. I've booked that restaurant for dinner on our first night, thinking that that might be a time when it would be less crowded than other nights (and so we might be able to get a table that has a decent amount of space from tables around it).  Assuming you did in fact go there on your first night, did it seem to you not very crowded, or am I making an incorrect assumption?

I'm glad you asked. And I will answer in spite of my having sworn to myself to stay away from mentioning the C word. But if I can put your mind to rest I want to do that. 

Yes Uma Umi seemed to get more crowded after the first evening. But ALL of the restaurants had tables well spaced. I haven't eaten at any of them in the past  so I can't compare. But a couple can easily be seated and not be very close to anyone else.  I think you would feel comfortable any evening, but even moreso the first evening. 

AND, there were several people on board who wore their masks all week. There may have been more, but we saw a few around quite a bit. I sort of assumed (Oh dear, would this be called being judgmental?) but I assumed they had medical reasons to do so, or just preferred to do so.  But even in the smaller Avenue Salon, there were one or two sofas and tables that really had no other tables that near it - so although other places in the club were very crowded it seemed there were places you could go comfortably.

But at Uma Umi - definitely you'll be ok.  The staff were very good about making sure people were comfortable - whatever their comfort level was.

And I'm going to shut up now before I get in trouble again. 🤪 

@Sweetpea711423

My husband just came over and I told him about your post. He agreed that Uma Umi was a less crowded the first night than when we went a 2nd time later in the week. 

We went to I think all of the shows and you could find seats not too close to anyone.

But apparently our cruise at about 490 guests (and 500+ crew) and maybe the cruises later will be more filled. But honestly I do think you'll find that you need only ask and the crew will find you a suitable table. 

Have a wonderful time.

59 minutes ago, SuitCaseBears said:

@Sweetpea711423

I couldn't find a picture of the Uma Umi table set up - but this is Prego from later in the cruise and you can see how well spaced things are

prego tables spaced out.jpg

Really, all of your responses were so kind of you (and your husband).  I just read the responses to my husband (and showed him the picture of Prego), and he was very impressed with everything.  

Thanks again.  It all was really helpful.

Barbara

7 hours ago, SuitCaseBears said:

Wow, you totally misunderstood me. I was observing people, as people do.  And I thought it was great that they were careful and protecting their own comfort and that they seemed to get more comfortable as time progressed.  I thought one of the best things about the cruise was the people, and you've turned that into something negative. 

But you know what. I'm so done with this. 

I appreciate those of you who encouraged me to post earlier. I apologize I didn't live up to my commitment.

But there's no reason why posting on cruise critics should be anything but a fun pleasure. And this is far from it.  

I agree and it’s terrible you will not be posting as I really enjoyed your posts. I have been on CC for years on many different cruise line sections. In my opinion this particular section is the most aggressive - there are a few key stand outs that take delight in calling out posts or members. Sorry you were a target of this.

5 hours ago, tinaincc said:

I agree and it’s terrible you will not be posting as I really enjoyed your posts

Thank you, but I've gotten over myself. I over reacted because I felt badly I hadn't posted during the cruise and because I had been struggling with adjusting my memories to focus on the good things and not my issues with the difficult internet situation. And I just lost it. But I'm posting.

• Like 1

We only ate in the main dining room one night. We met with two couples we met on the cruise's Roll Call (yay for roll calls) and enjoyed a leisurely 3 hour dinner.  Here's the menu from that night

main dining room menu.jpg

I had beef tartare and the pasta (pictures to follow). But before that - one couple treated the table to a HUGE serving of caviar. I'm sorry we didn't move that glass of champagne so you could see the traditional accompaniments which are hiding. 

caviar.jpg

• Like 2