Jump to content

Boarding priority?


Recommended Posts

Now that my October cruise has been confirmed, time to get back to normal threads.

 

I am accustomed to receiving boarding priority based on Elite/Platinum Captain's Circle status.

Of course, procedures, especially now with both new Medallion advancements and with post-Covid policies, have changed...

When I log in to the Medallion app, right now it is letting me register, reserve dining times/tables and more.  The one thing it says is not available as of yet is Boarding and Disembarkation appointment times.  We will be staying at a hotel the night prior and check-out time is something like 11:00 am...and we prefer to get to the ship ASAP in any event--to enjoy lunch onboard and lounge around and get into "full cruise mode"...Normally, in the past, we'd just head to the pier around 11:00 and get that front of the line priority for Elite/Platinum.  Will that still exist?  Or do we have to constantly check the app and hope we catch it in time to get an early appointment time before they book up?  Anyone know?

 

Thanks.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Somewhere in the FAQ it says something to the effect that Elite/Platinum will have access to boarding times on the app 3 or 4 days earlier than the masses.  I read the whole thing yesterday.  Lots of interesting tidbits 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Captain's Circle section on the website still says:

 

"Priority Check-In at Embarkation
When you arrive at the port, don’t wait in line. You, along with your family or guests that are traveling with you in the same stateroom will be invited to use the Priority Check-In desk to help expedite your embarkation."

 

It's a little vague if that still implies that you get some sort of priority to your boarding that's not the "normal procedures"...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

The Captain's Circle section on the website still says:

 

"Priority Check-In at Embarkation
When you arrive at the port, don’t wait in line. You, along with your family or guests that are traveling with you in the same stateroom will be invited to use the Priority Check-In desk to help expedite your embarkation."

 

It's a little vague if that still implies that you get some sort of priority to your boarding that's not the "normal procedures"...

Talked to my PVP today.  She told me that she has been told by her senior supervisor that all passengers on the early cruises will either pick or be assigned boarding times and that they will be enforced.  If you do not pick a boarding time it will be assigned.  Did not have any info yet on when it might be available on the medallion app.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

...................we prefer to get to the ship ASAP in any event--to enjoy lunch onboard and lounge around and get into "full cruise mode"...Normally, in the past, we'd just head to the pier around 11:00 and get that front of the line priority for Elite/Platinum.  Will that still exist?  Or do we have to constantly check the app and hope we catch it in time to get an early appointment time before they book up?  Anyone know?

 

Thanks.

 

 

 

49 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

 

I do not see anything that allows for priority boarding, but I suppose that could change.

So, me too.  Arrive early and among first to board.

 

Pre-Covid, the boarding prty only mattered for those arriving to check-in prior to start of general boarding.  Suites and Elites already there got on first.  Once the terminal was cleared of waiting passengers, people checking in just proceed on board.  But still a prry check-in line.

 

I imagine the early boarding group(s) will still have Suites and Elites board first when boarding opens.  Why wouldn't they?

 

Again, once cleared out, subsequent groups will just board when check in complete.  Still have prty check-in lines.  Why not?

 

Princess has given no guidance on when groups can be selected.  A guess might be once 75 day mark is reached.  So we customers are left dangling, not knowing when app will allow, but some of us can make dining res anytime.

 

Another thing Princess has not been clear on is whether Suites and Elites will get an advance chance to book arrival groups over others.  And will Platinum get any lesser chance over first time and lower tier customers?

 

Who knows for sure?  And why isn't Princess telling us the specifics?

 

I will want to be prepared to book earliest arrival group.  

 

As Elite, I could be cavalier and say IDC, but I hope Elites and Suites do not just grab all the early arrival spots willy-nilly as we know they do not all arrive prior to general boarding, so if don't normally show up until noon, then don't pick 9:30 or 10:00am.

Edited by Steelers36
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

The Captain's Circle section on the website still says:

 

"Priority Check-In at Embarkation
When you arrive at the port, don’t wait in line. You, along with your family or guests that are traveling with you in the same stateroom will be invited to use the Priority Check-In desk to help expedite your embarkation."

 

It's a little vague if that still implies that you get some sort of priority to your boarding that's not the "normal procedures"...

Yes, but that speaks to the check-in process, not the boarding procedure.  And Princess has generally not updated any info text nor FAQ text of prior info from my observation.

 

Nothing in the CC benefit speaks to prty boarding, but it is long-standing practice that Suite and Elite guests board first when general boarding opens, followed by Platinum..  and I think they included Club Class in there.. followed by everyone else.

 

Once the terminal is cleared, people just go straight on board once checked in.  So, then a check-in prty can help as people flow in.

 

We don't know if Princess is going to pre-load the terminal with X nbr guests before boarding opens, or delay check-in until 11am so everyone is just mostly heading on board.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are also really big on early boarding!

 

I would hope that, as you should have priority boarding, then those earliest times would show available for your booking, where non-priority bookings might only be given options for, example, noon and later???

That would make sense to me.

Doesn't mean that all those morning appointments would book up really fast.

It will take longer to check everyone in and board when they are only processing a limited number of socially distanced guests at a time.

 

Also, Princess has been pretty good about sending out pre-cruise notices.

Perhaps you would get an advance notice about when these boarding appointments will be available.

So, could be true that you would also have a good chance at earlier boarding by getting that advance notice that boarding appointments will be available for Platinum/Elite Suites, etc.

 

While I would def. keep checking online, I think that you would probably know in advance before the appointments open up?

 

If they go online at 12:01 pacific time, then your time zone might make a difference!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"As Elite, I could be cavalier and say IDC, but I hope Elites and Suites do not just grab all the early arrival spots willy-nilly as we know they do not all arrive prior to general boarding, so if don't normally show up until noon, then don't pick 9:30 or 10:00am."

 

Good point!  But I don't know why they would do that if they know that they will not be getting to the port early.  Hopefully not!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well this is all as clear as mud.

 

My next cruise is January 2022.  I'll just read up on the experinces of those who take cruises in what remains in the 2021 schedule, and follow the crowd.

 

We, like many, prefer to board the ship as soon as we can,  However, if I find that I can't board until, say, 2:00 pm, Captain's Circle level or cabin choice notwithstanding, then so be it.  Some people have real problems.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting thread.  Since PCL Platinum/Elite loyalty perks still list priority check-in, I'd say there will be some way to accomplish that.  As someone else mentioned, check in is different from embarkation. After check in, we have usually had to wait in the PES lounge to await being called to board.   Elite and Suite guests always are called to board before other groups.  It may continue to be handled like that.  Or it may be that those guests are able to select a boarding group a few days before other guests are allowed to, thereby giving them priority.  We will all watch the July 25 and early August cruise threads to see if they come back and report to those of us who are cruising later.  We cruise in Sept and are Elite.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMO the option for Priority boarding (Elites & Suites followed by Platinum) should still exist using the MC app system.
 

Notify these passengers by email about when the Arrival & Departure Groups will be available to reserve & then later for passengers without priority boarding. Unfortunately based on pre-pandemic experiences Princess emails were inconsistent but they should notify passengers at least a week before arrival group times are available to reserve. I check emails daily but not everyone is like me so they should provide some advance notice.

 

Verbal statements are not official statements made by Princess & while I appreciate them being posted on CC they can be inaccurate. 

 

I understand that Princess & all cruise lines have to keep up with changes made by the CDC & the ports. However don’t understand why they haven’t released arrival group reservation procedures for cruises they just stated will sail through the end of this year. It’s just another example of Princess not having a fully functioning MC app before removing Cruise Personalizer functions.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We will be using the Princess Airport shuttle for our arrival at the pier.  We plan to be at the airport early.  How do I pick an arrival time on the app when I don't know when the shuttle will drop us off at the pier?  Any suggestions?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

We will be using the Princess Airport shuttle for our arrival at the pier.  We plan to be at the airport early.  How do I pick an arrival time on the app when I don't know when the shuttle will drop us off at the pier?  Any suggestions?


Maybe Princess would assign you an arrival group based upon your flight & their estimated shuttle arrival time at the port? 🤔

 

Even if not eligible for priority boarding they still might assign an earlier time by arriving on their shuttle.

 

Obviously it’s merely a guess. ☺️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems that the development of the APP is struggling to keep up with the current requirements/expectations....   I am sure they are aware of this.  I think they are making every effort to get all of these new features and functions operating online. (and not COMIING SOON).  

I only hope that very soon they get it somewhat operational!!!

 

And, about the Princess Shuttles...that is something else that I think will have to be tweaked and changed up.  If it came down to it,  come departure day, if my shuttle were not arranged to be there for my early boarding,  I would arrange transportation.  I would just be happy to be getting on that ship!!!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:


Maybe Princess would assign you an arrival group based upon your flight & their estimated shuttle arrival time at the port? 🤔

 

Even if not eligible for priority boarding they still might assign an earlier time by arriving on their shuttle.

 

Obviously it’s merely a guess. ☺️

We are not using Princess air, we are coming in a day before and then meeting the shuttle at the airport for transit to the pier.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Again,  if you are not using Princess Air or pre-cruise Hotel, then I do think that might be iffy.

Those who book thru Princess Air or pre-cruise Hotel might be the ones accommodated.

I would be watching for 'further details'.

 

Princess will have to look at all of this, and set up new scheduling.  I would guess that there will be early runs, and later runs, from each shuttle pick-up point.  With the new system, they might have to schedule several rounds.  As, the boarding process is being staggered out over time.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

We are not using Princess air, we are coming in a day before and then meeting the shuttle at the airport for transit to the pier.

There is a place in your Princess Planner to provide independent flight information so that Princess will know when you will arrive in Seattle.  It's a good idea to provide that information.  Your name should be on the list when you check in with the Princes rep for the shuttle.  It is under TRAVEL and PROVIDE INDEPENDENT AIR INFORMATION and it's still there.  I haven't seen that on the app as of yet and I haven't read of anyone being able to choose a boarding group in the app yet.  If you arrive the day before and have a transfer, my guess is that you will be assigned the first shuttle.  Also true for flights that arrive in Seattle before 9-9:30ish the morning of the cruise.  The first shuttle usually leaves about 10, depending on how smoothly disembarkation is going.  The same busses bringing disembarking passengers to the airport will be the ones taking embarking passengers to the ship, so it's not a hard and fast time.  If the passengers are all getting off quickly, the ship will be ready for new passengers sooner.  In the past, you would check in at the cruise port and then have a seat in a designated area and assigned a boarding group based on order of check-in and loyalty status.  Once the ship is ready for passengers, groups are called to board. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, RRFan said:

There is a place in your Princess Planner to provide independent flight information so that Princess will know when you will arrive in Seattle.  It's a good idea to provide that information.  Your name should be on the list when you check in with the Princes rep for the shuttle.  It is under TRAVEL and PROVIDE INDEPENDENT AIR INFORMATION and it's still there.  I haven't seen that on the app as of yet and I haven't read of anyone being able to choose a boarding group in the app yet.  If you arrive the day before and have a transfer, my guess is that you will be assigned the first shuttle.  Also true for flights that arrive in Seattle before 9-9:30ish the morning of the cruise.  The first shuttle usually leaves about 10, depending on how smoothly disembarkation is going.  The same busses bringing disembarking passengers to the airport will be the ones taking embarking passengers to the ship, so it's not a hard and fast time.  If the passengers are all getting off quickly, the ship will be ready for new passengers sooner.  In the past, you would check in at the cruise port and then have a seat in a designated area and assigned a boarding group based on order of check-in and loyalty status.  Once the ship is ready for passengers, groups are called to board. 

I entered my independent travel arrangements into my Personalizer a while back.  We usually get to the airport early and check in with the representative. Princess gave me an arrival time for the start of airport check in.  I guess I will just add about 2 hours onto that time and that will probably be close enough to our pier arrival time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks all for your responses on airport transfer --- I guess I will just use an estimated time to enter into my app ---- until Princess advises me otherwise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not seeing how Princess can implement boarding priority with the anticipated "pick your time" process.

 

Perhaps within each boarding group of x # of people, Princess will prioritize suites, then elites, followed by plats, then club class ... followed by the great unwashed of that group.  For Special Needs, perhaps they will board within their group in keeping with the categories I listed above.

 

I don't think Princess did a full brainstorm on implementing priority boarding ... I think they figured that pax willl.be so overjoyed to get back on a cruiseship that they won't care where they are in the pecking order.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pms4104 said:

Not seeing how Princess can implement boarding priority with the anticipated "pick your time" process.

Who knows, but a couple of possibilities would be 1) Elite/Suite are given 2 or 3 days early to go and select their desired boarding times before groups are made available to the rest of the cruise pax, or  2) boarding groups have assigned priority levels (such as Elite/Suite all boarding group A. New passengers don’t even see the option for Group A. Some sort of priority levels).  We shall see. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

RRFan   That sounds logical  we r elite and club class on this cruise  our plane arrives around 9 am on embark day and we have princess shuttle  We also like to get on ship early   Princess has always been very organized at embarkation and departure day so hope that holds  we will be prepared for glitches as long as we get on that ship for sail a way!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Virgin Voyages. It's go time.
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...