Florida wins so Carnival can sail with kids

lobster1313

• lobster1313 changed the title to Florida wins so Carnival can sail with kids
10 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

Awesome!!

From the article:
"“Today’s ruling is a victory for the hardworking Floridians whose livelihoods depend on the cruise industry,” said Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody in a statement. “The federal government does not, nor should it ever, have the authority to single out and lock down an entire industry indefinitely.”

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/25266-florida-wins-court-case-against-cdc-to-lift-conditional-sail-order.html

Great news. The injunction is stayed, per the article, but IMO this has to look like a win for Florida.

It's only stayed for 30 days to give the CDC an opportunity to offer more limited guidelines. 

• Like 2

Even the judge, whom many here praised, felt that the CDC's rules and regulations were too much.

"After July 18, the rules will turn into non-binding recommendations for cruise companies. The CDC has until July 2 to propose a more limited set of cruise regulations to the court."

• Like 8

It is a win for Florida and DeSantis - no doubt. I was always in favor of the spirit of his lawsuit even though I don't agree with his political views otherwise. The CDC has already started relaxing and modifying some of the restrictions. It basically only sucks to sail if you're unvaccinated. And this is an injunction for 30 days. Who knows what will happen after that. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Here's a link that includes to full 124-page ruling: Federal judge sides with Florida in lawsuit against CDC over cruise industry (floridapolitics.com)

I haven't read it yet, but this is a huge blow to the CDC (poor dears).

Many of us felt the CDC was not being reasonable.  It appears the judge agrees.

• Like 25

Sure... you can get on the ship.  But here are the new protocols so onerous it will reduce the numbers of unvaccinated who sail - the PCR test 72 hours before embarkation, instant test at embarkation and debarkation, separate dining, separate shows, masks all the time they are not in their cabin. Throw in some more restrictions - separate seating areas around the pools, ships only excursions (that are for unvaccinated only and twice the price), instant tests when they come back on the ship. And charge them all for it.

Watch for it.  Sounds like a not-so-fun vacation.

• Like 12

I’m happy about this decision as long as the Alaska Tourism Restoration Act isn’t derailed and cruises from Seattle aren’t affected, and as long as sensible protocols are still followed. I hope that cruise lines are smart enough to realize that the media will be on them looking for any screw up. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 6

Just now, LadyMac72 said:

Sure... you can get on the ship.  But here are the new protocols so onerous it will reduce the numbers of unvaccinated who sail - the PCR test 72 hours before embarkation, instant test at embarkation and debarkation, separate dining, separate shows, masks all the time they are not in their cabin. Throw in some more restrictions - separate seating areas around the pools, ships only excursions (that are for unvaccinated only and twice the price), instant tests when they come back on the ship. And charge them all for it.

Watch for it.  Sounds like a not-so-fun vacation.

They will change.  Carnival has repeatedly stated they shouldn't be treated differently than any other part of the travel industry.

• Like 8

Just now, Tapi said:

I’m happy about this decision as long as the Alaska Tourism Restoration Act isn’t derailed and cruises from Seattle aren’t affected and as long as sensible protocols are still followed. I hope that cruise lines are smart enough to realize that the media will be on them looking for any screw up. 

I think the cruise lines will continue their course with July and August sailings.  This should prevent the CDC from overreaching their authority and shutting things down based on very strict criteria. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

We dint know the cdc wouldnt appeal do we? I'm not sure it's a clear win. ..see where it goes, but I've said all along the cdc is in the wrong. Common sense. 

The CDC has a chance to come up with more limited restrictions.  So, this is definitely a win for Florida!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1