The big what if!

What if you test positive at some point during a cruise? Will you be quarantined to your room and then taken off the ship at the next port? 
And if so, who’s paying the cost of getting home?

We’re fully vaxxed, but there’s always the chance that you could still test positive.

And especially now if the ruling from the federal judge means there will be more than 5% unvaccinated on the ship thus increasing the odds of some kind of outbreak.

I’m not sure if travel insurance will cover any Covid related expenses.

So will the cruise lines, in the sake of getting their ships sailing, work that into their operating budget? And if not, and we can’t get travel insurance to cover the possibility of being removed from the ship, then that means we’re financially rolling the dice if we set sail.

Definitely something to consider.

19 minutes ago, amcankid said:

What if you test positive at some point during a cruise? Will you be quarantined to your room and then taken off the ship at the next port? 

We’re fully vaxxed, but there’s always the chance that you could still test positive.

And especially now if the ruling from the federal judge means there will be more than 5% unvaccinated on the ship thus increasing the odds of some kind of outbreak.

So will the cruise lines, in the sake of getting their ships sailing, work that into their operating budget? And if not, and we can’t get travel insurance to cover the possibility of being removed from the ship, then that means we’re financially rolling the dice if we set sail.

The two passengers who tested positive on the Millennium were removed from there stateroom $$$ and placed in an isolation room on deck 2 for the remainder of the cruise.

23 minutes ago, amcankid said:

For these early sailings, most cruise lines are offering help to people who test positive if they have to be removed and return home. This assistance is limited to bookings by a certain date. You have to look at Carnival’s policy.

When that assistance ends, then yes it will be up to you and/or your insurance. There are policies that help with Covid expenses, but you have to read carefully to be sure it covers what you need it to.

There is a Cruise and Travel Insurance board here on CC. I’d suggest you look over there for more information. There aren’t any quick and easy answers because insurance is pretty complex, but there is a broker who posts on the Insurance board. He is associated with The Trip Insurance Store. Consider giving him a call if you need help.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bdever said:

The two passengers who tested positive on the Millennium were removed from there stateroom $$$ and placed in an isolation room on deck 2 for the remainder of the cruise.

Dang, that sounds like out of a horror movie.

We’re they ever seen or heard from again? Lol

50 minutes ago, amcankid said:

Dang, that sounds like out of a horror movie.

We’re they ever seen or heard from again? Lol

LMFAO 🤣 

I’m sorry, yes maybe I should have at least tried to dress it up. My bad.

Posted (edited)

amcankid, but yes, the last heard of them was that they were on a chartered flight from the Bahamas to the US. I’m sure Celebrity picked up that bill because it’s been crickets since OR here’s a novel idea maybe crickets because the CDC’s guidelines for Vaccinated Cruises is solid or maybe both.

Edited by bdever
Drinks & Autocorrect

4 hours ago, bdever said:

They were probably put on Deck 2 because that is closest to the Medical Centre. They were there 24 hours before getting off in Saint Maarten, I think it was, where they quarantined again  overnight before being flown home on an aircraft chartered by Celebrity. They were tested on the second last day of their 7 day cruise prior to their disembarkation as per Saint Maarten's requirement. Hence how they found they were positive since they were apparently asymptomatic.

Apparently about 20 passengers identified as close contacts were also confined to their rooms overnight while awaiting all test results back. They were given full room service with a nice meal, drinks and chocolates. And from reports on the Celebrity board they were happy with that.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

They were probably put on Deck 2 because that is closest to the Medical Centre. They were there 24 hours before getting off in Saint Maarten, I think it was, where they quarantined again  overnight before being flown home on an aircraft chartered by Celebrity. They were tested on the second last day of their 7 day cruise prior to their disembarkation as per Saint Maarten's requirement. Hence how they found they were positive since they were apparently asymptomatic.

Apparently about 20 passengers identified as close contacts were also confined to their rooms overnight while awaiting all test results back. They were given full room service with a nice meal, drinks and chocolates. And from reports on the Celebrity board they were happy with that.

And THATS how you do it folks! Out of the ballpark!

It's not worth it at the moment. The only thing I know for sure, is that we are still in panic mode. I could care less about an "outbreak". It is far too easy to fail a test. 

If they were Dutch nationals, why were they flown from the Bahamas to the US?  I would think there would be flights to the Netherlands from St. Maarten or one of the ABC islands like Aruba.

2 hours ago, Roz said:

If they were Dutch nationals, why were they flown from the Bahamas to the US?  I would think there would be flights to the Netherlands from St. Maarten or one of the ABC islands like Aruba.

I saw speculation  as to their nationality, but not from any reliable source. Did you? And all I could find was that they were flown home, but no destination was specified. Further, they were flown home from St. Maarten, which was the port of disembarkation. (Assuming you were referring to the Millenium)

• Like 1