Jump to content

Cunard Souvenirs And Memorabilia


Recommended Posts

On 7/3/2021 at 9:33 PM, norboy76 said:

map dishes for Cunard

 

During my 2008 World Cruise aboard Amsterdam, full cruise guests were given many pillow gifts.  One of which was either a plate or a platter that had the itinerary imprinted on it.  It was made of quality china:  Rosenthal.  I ought to get into my two large storage boxes that contains the items that we were given and I collected during that cruise.  What else is there?

 

One item that we received which I discarded before I even disembarked (others did as well), was a piece of what, I guess could be "generously" called a piece of driftwood that had something--maybe a plaque--I don't remember--attached to it.  It looked like crap!  (Maybe if i had kept it, might it now be "valuable"?  😀)  Or, still "crap"? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

 

 

One item that we received which I discarded before I even disembarked (others did as well), was a piece of what, I guess could be "generously" called a piece of driftwood that had something--maybe a plaque--I don't remember--attached to it.  It looked like crap!  (Maybe if i had kept it, might it now be "valuable"?  😀)  Or, still "crap"? 

Lol how lovely, a hunk of driftwood with metal attached to it, but who knows, maybe it's worth something? have you checked Ebay to see if anything like it on there?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

During my 2008 World Cruise aboard Amsterdam, full cruise guests were given many pillow gifts.  One of which was either a plate or a platter that had the itinerary imprinted on it.  It was made of quality china:  Rosenthal.  I ought to get into my two large storage boxes that contains the items that we were given and I collected during that cruise.  What else is there?

 

One item that we received which I discarded before I even disembarked (others did as well), was a piece of what, I guess could be "generously" called a piece of driftwood that had something--maybe a plaque--I don't remember--attached to it.  It looked like crap!  (Maybe if i had kept it, might it now be "valuable"?  😀)  Or, still "crap"? 

I just got in the mail 3 really really really old Cunard postcards.

1. RMS Saxonia & RMS Ivernia Postcard: 1910 (it's used and stamped on the back) 111 yrs old

2. RMS Lucania Postcard: 1893 - 1909 (Unused) 112 - 128 yrs old

3. RMS Etruria Postcard: 1885 - 1908 (Unused) 113 - 136 yrs old

*Photos will be in order of the list above

1910_saxonia_and_ivernia_postcard_by_wildelf34_demtngy-fullview.jpg

rms_lucania_postcard_by_wildelf34_demtn2n-pre.jpg

rms_etruria_postcard_by_wildelf34_demtm6d-pre.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, norboy76 said:

Lol how lovely, a hunk of driftwood with metal attached to it, but who knows, maybe it's worth something? have you checked Ebay to see if anything like it on there?

 

"How lovely"....If you had seen it, you would not have used that adjective.  I'll look on Ebay, but, if any were saved, it may have been the crew retrieving them from our waste baskets.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

"How lovely"....If you had seen it, you would not have used that adjective.  I'll look on Ebay, but, if any were saved, it may have been the crew retrieving them from our waste baskets.  

Lol true, I hope lines don't still give ugly gifts. I have a nice little statue mom and dad got on the inaugural cruise of the Sun Princess in 1995, It's a neat little statue. What did you think of the 3 Cunard postcards and their ages that I posted?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, norboy76 said:

What did you think of the 3 Cunard postcards and their ages that I posted?

 

It's remarkable that they still exist in decent condition after all this time.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2021 at 3:58 PM, rkacruiser said:

 

It's remarkable that they still exist in decent condition after all this time.  

I have a couple of nice Inaugural brochures for Cunard, nothing old, but for the Queen Mary (the one that's out now) and the Queen Victoria and a nice 1980's brochure for the Cunard Sea Goddesses

queen_mary_2_pre_inaugural_brochure_by_wildelf34_d9k2qrz-fullview.jpg

queen_mary_2_inaugural_brochure_by_wildelf34_d9k2q7v-pre.jpg

queen_victoria_inaugural_brochure_by_wildelf34_d9k2q0t-fullview.jpg

cunard_sea_goddess_brochure_by_wildelf34_d9k2r7z-fullview.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same one as your first one for QM2.  I have never seen the others.  Since the brochure for Queen Victoria may be for World Club Members, my measly World Club patronage would not have probably gotten that brochure sent.  I do, though, still get The Cunarder magazine when it was produced pre-Covid.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2021 at 4:47 PM, rkacruiser said:

I have the same one as your first one for QM2.  I have never seen the others.  Since the brochure for Queen Victoria may be for World Club Members, my measly World Club patronage would not have probably gotten that brochure sent.  I do, though, still get The Cunarder magazine when it was produced pre-Covid.  

I came across an interesting postcard for the QE2, it's of her with the original funnel, but below the water line, she's sporting the *Blue Antifouling Paint* instead of the regular red paint normally used. I also have a postcard for a Cunarder with to me a very unattractive funnel? the Cunard Adventurer. And an interesting view of the QE2 in her Falkland War Grey Hull (please note the side of the ship which for some odd reason, it looks like a lot of doors or somethings are open? Not sure why they are open? Unless they're trying to sink her for some reason if a good storm came up?

qe2_blue_antifouling_paint_postcard_by_wildelf34_denseme-fullview.jpg

cunard adventurer.jpg

qe2_falkland_war_paint_hull_by_wildelf34_de1i8kz-fullview.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, norboy76 said:

it looks like a lot of doors or somethings are open? Not sure why they are open?

 

It is an early morning arrival in New York.  The crew are anticipating heavy loading of supplies.  So, they are getting getting ready for that to begin ASAP after docking.  That would be my guess.

 

The Cunard Adventurer and her sister, Cunard Ambassador, were Cunard's initial steps into small ship Caribbean cruising.  I sailed on Adventurer after NCL acquired her and named her Sunward II.  She was a nice ship even though she was small.  I don't remember that it felt crowded, but certainly she was not as spacious as QE2.  Cunard Princess and Cunard Countess followed these two ships.  Larger, better looking ships, but of a similar design.  Cunard learned that they were unable to provide the same Cunard White Star Service on these smaller ships, as they did on QE2, thus, exiting the market.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2021 at 11:29 AM, norboy76 said:

If anyone has traveled on Cunard in the past, did you buy any souvenirs from the ship's gift shops or maybe win something in any games on board?


I got a black QE 2 windbreaker.  

 

Edited by Catnip
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2021 at 11:29 AM, norboy76 said:

If anyone has traveled on Cunard in the past, did you buy any souvenirs from the ship's gift shops or maybe win something in any games on board?

We sailed on the penultimate voyage of Caronia.  In the shop I noticed umbrellas with Caronia printed on them.  I bought one for us and one for our good friend/travel agent/fellow shipgeek.  Ours has served us well on many a rainy day, mostly while traveling for a cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

We sailed on the penultimate voyage of Caronia.  In the shop I noticed umbrellas with Caronia printed on them.  I bought one for us and one for our good friend/travel agent/fellow shipgeek.  Ours has served us well on many a rainy day, mostly while traveling for a cruise.

 

Wow!  For an umbrella to last as long as that one has, it must be a very well constructed umbrella!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Catnip said:


I got a black QE 2 windbreaker.  

 

I had a nice Cunard windbreaker too, but it finally wore out to the point it wasn't repairable, so I decided to salvage the name and patch on the jacket at least, cause the jacket was too shredded to save. The patch, I framed it to protect it

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

We sailed on the penultimate voyage of Caronia.  In the shop I noticed umbrellas with Caronia printed on them.  I bought one for us and one for our good friend/travel agent/fellow shipgeek.  Ours has served us well on many a rainy day, mostly while traveling for a cruise.

Which Caronia? 

Caronia: 1948 - 1968

or

Caronia: 1999 - 2004

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...