Jump to content

Live from Apex - 6/19


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Those onboard:  Did you spend any nights pre-cruise in Athens?  If so, how was the experience in Athens itself?  Restaurants and attractions open?  Masks required? And so on...Thanks.

 

Yes, we were in Athens for 5 days before boarding.  All the sites are open and VERY quiet.  Indoor museums have fairly strict rules on capacity (both overall and in each exhibit room) but given it was quiet, no real issues (we had to wait 5 minutes here or there to proceed through certain parts of the museums).  Restaurants are open and serving outdoors only.  Weather was great this week at around 85 and breezy...have been to Athens several times and never had a more pleasant experience at the major sites.given the lack of crowding.

 

A couple of notes from tonight:

 

Fine Cut - we had absolutely amazing service at fine cut tonight.  Food was cooked perfectly and we enjoyed everything but the desserts which we just found a bit "boring" for an upcharge dining experience.  It doesn't appear they've changed anything from th Edge with the open air access to the atrium (and accompanying light and music shows) below.  We didn't find it terribly distracting as we were seated near the outdoor windows....but I did find it an odd design choice.

 

Entertainment - went to the comedian late show and had a very enjoyable experience, with one small "comedy bump" during the show with one of the Park West onboard artists heckling the comedian from the second row, apparently well imbibed, trying to hawk/promote his art during the show.  It started off funny with a bit of banter, but definitely crossed the line after he kept heckling and felt a bit uncomfortable.  However, we were happy the turnout was big enough (given the small number on the cruise) to make it a very enjoyable show.  And excellent recovery by the comedian who was a great sport despite the small bump.

Edited by ocdb8r
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am so glad we are sailing on a totally vaccinated cruise on Seabourn on 7/10.   The children are getting very sick from the “D” variant which is prevalent in Europe.   Hope the young people are not taken ill on the ship and I also hope the unvaccinated won’t spread this around.   Can’t believe they didn’t even ask to see you vaccination cards, sounds like lawsuits could happen if passengers get sick especially if they were told everyone would be vaccinated.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ocdb8r we were also a noon check in. I validated across our 4 cabins that no one got asked about the health questionnaire or vaccinations. Super strange. Let’s hope your experience was the norm! Happy to show my card at the front desk any time 🥳.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Kreative03 said:

Hi all! We’ve made it aboard and are finally settling in. I don’t do a traditional “live” report so you will get the important things from my perspective and I will take requests best I can.

 

First things first - covid testing is as you walk in. Pre-register online and you get a QR code. If you don’t, they will get you a QR code but it works poorly (for now). The swab wasn’t comfortable but it is an Abbott antigen test. They declined to test my 2 year old despite her being registered and it being said as a requirement - but the other two kids with us were tested (ages 2 and 4). Results took around 18 minutes for me, but our other group of 7 returned a bunch of results sporadically at best. We were told it should be 15-20 minutes. There was a lot of confusion and folks waiting longer than necessary because it required savvy to get their results. (App, website login, or email)

 

After that, getting onboard required a passport check and scan of the xpress pass. Next was security which also reviewed them, and then off to the ship.

 

Went straight to the room and 2 out of 3 bags were there. One was delivered to my sisters room despite being pre-tagged.


Onboard now and eating lunch. Let’s hear those questions.

 

Thank you so much for sharing!  We will be aboard the July 9th sailing and I was so anxious to hear how the first sailing was going to go.  I’m glad to hear no masks around the pool deck.  That’s a relief!


I’m just curious to hear if you have a fair amount of kids on your sailing?  We are bringing our 13 and 15 year olds and I’m hoping there will be other kids/teens aboard.

 

Our last cruise was also aboard the Edge.  I see you’ve cruised both as well and I’d be interested to hear how Apex and Edge compare to each other.  Are they pretty similar overall?

 

Hoping you enjoy your cruise and again thank you for the live report, it’s so welcome and appreciated!
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for sharing your cruise with us.  We don't board Apex until next April in Fort Lauderdale, so hopefully all the kinks will be worked out by then (and COVID-19 just an unhappy memory).  

 

Hope you'll be able to post some photos of the ship at some point -- don't really care of what, just some public areas.

 

Thank you again, and Happy Sailing!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I'm not exactly sure what the Edge's Eden entertainment will be like once it resumes; on X's site they state in regards to the Apex: "Celebrity Edge’s transformational Eden experience is being updated on Apex to be a pre- or post-theatre dining venue with a flavor-forward focus. (was Eden's food not flavorful before?).  X also said they'd offer "elevated" cuts in Apex's Fine cut.  I can see the Edge's fine cut menu, hasn't changed.  I'm unable to see Apex's fine cut menu.  Curious if they'll offer wagyu.

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, little britain said:

Are they doing anything special as this is her Maiden voyage ( I was booked on her original maiden in April last year!!)

So was I.  ☹️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I am so glad we are sailing on a totally vaccinated cruise on Seabourn on 7/10.   The children are getting very sick from the “D” variant which is prevalent in Europe.   Hope the young people are not taken ill on the ship and I also hope the unvaccinated won’t spread this around.   Can’t believe they didn’t even ask to see you vaccination cards, sounds like lawsuits could happen if passengers get sick especially if they were told everyone would be vaccinated.

Can you please share your source for children getting "very sick"? Literally no idea where you are getting this information from... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Kreative03 said:

Hi all! We’ve made it aboard and are finally settling in. I don’t do a traditional “live” report so you will get the important things from my perspective and I will take requests best I can.

 

First things first - covid testing is as you walk in. Pre-register online and you get a QR code. If you don’t, they will get you a QR code but it works poorly (for now). The swab wasn’t comfortable but it is an Abbott antigen test. They declined to test my 2 year old despite her being registered and it being said as a requirement - but the other two kids with us were tested (ages 2 and 4). Results took around 18 minutes for me, but our other group of 7 returned a bunch of results sporadically at best. We were told it should be 15-20 minutes. There was a lot of confusion and folks waiting longer than necessary because it required savvy to get their results. (App, website login, or email)

 

After that, getting onboard required a passport check and scan of the xpress pass. Next was security which also reviewed them, and then off to the ship.

 

Went straight to the room and 2 out of 3 bags were there. One was delivered to my sisters room despite being pre-tagged.


Onboard now and eating lunch. Let’s hear those questions.

 

If you are fully vaccinated, do you have to covid test?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Kreative03 said:

@ocdb8r we were also a noon check in. I validated across our 4 cabins that no one got asked about the health questionnaire or vaccinations. Super strange. Let’s hope your experience was the norm! Happy to show my card at the front desk any time 🥳.

Love this as you cruise!  Happy your not posting a pic of every muffin, egg or meal you are eating.  Hope you and your crew have a relaxing and enjoyable cruise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

.I'm unable to see Apex's fine cut menu.  Curious if they'll offer wagyu.

No wagyu on offer last night.

 

52 minutes ago, Podie said:

If you are fully vaccinated, do you have to covid test?

Yes, both for embarkation and before disembarkation.  This is a Greece requirement for cruises at the moment.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Following.
 

Not on the Apex until mid 2022 but now very excited. Wasn’t interested in the Edge because I have zero interest in the “infinity balconies” but found some Sky Suites with regular ones so we are again interested in Edge Class ships. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, bebe08 said:

Hope everyone onboard enjoys their cruise!!

 

We are booked on a B2B on Apex April 2022!  Will be our first time on this class of ship and likely will be our first cruise post Covid.  

 

We have booked passes for the Thermal Suite....the description from cruise planner is below. However I've heard this may not be accurate and that there isn't a Thalassotherapy pool.  We've not found it was worth the cost for the pass on the other X class ships but I love T pools so we booked passes.  Hoping someone onboard can confirm.

 

 

Set sail on a journey to ultimate relaxation with this sensory oasis. Inspired by traditional Turkish Baths, our Thermal Suite features heated chaise lounges as well as aromatic steam and sauna grottos - a perfect interlude to your day. Then, soak in our Thalassotherapy Pool, a therapeutic, natural-bubbling salt-water spring. This mineral-rich body of water has healing powers for de-stressing, pain relief, and to soothe dry skin. Together enjoy a 7-day Thermal Suite and Thalassotherapy Pool experience during your cruise with this couples pass.

There's no pool or spa tub in The Thermal Suites on Edge Class ships. Not sure if Beyond follows the same since no information was revealed about differences.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, mommyoftwins said:

Are they allowing you off the ship on your own to walk around the ports or are they requiring you to book a tour through them or 3rd party??

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/celebrity-healthy-at-sea-protocols.pdf

 

It depends on itinerary.

Edited by little britain
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Kreative03 said:

Here’s one thing that’s sizeable, that I need to share now and separately. No one asked for or validated vaccination. Not at a single checkpoint. Not a visual inspection or a verbal attestation. Literally anyone could be on this ship. While it’s not a big deal to some, given the test was administered to almost all folks + the number of passengers — it is a big deal to those of us who intentionally booked a vaccinated cruise. Here’s hoping that for future cruises they actually vet folks.

 

That was NOT the case for our party of 6 during noon check-in.  All of us were asked for proof of our vaccines and each card was photographed on the tablets that the check-in personal used to process all of our required documents. 

 

They first scanned our QR codes and then took the photo of the vaccine card. We were then sent to get our PCR tests.  Once the test results came back (35 minutes later), we then were allowed to proceed to the ship, where before boarding they took pictures of our passports, again with the tablets, and cleared security

 

That was the process for everyone I saw checking in, and it was all very well monitored by both shore-side and ship personal.

Edited by ATLJC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, little britain said:

In Santorini today were they still offering the boat transfers to Oia for €15 at the jetty?

We checked with the tour stand right off the tender and were told that boar transfers to Oia were not available while the ship was in port. We took the public bus to get there - less than 20 minutes and €1.60 per person.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Right now, this might be the most important thread on cruise Critic! 

I will be on the July 31 and August 7 sailings...(We originally had earlier dates, but decided to push it back a few weeks to get the Israel itinerary).

My greatest hope is that they really figure all of this stuff out and greatly improve the process and evolve the "rules" over the next few weeks before we get there.

 

To those onboard:  Did you spend any nights pre-cruise in Athens?  If so, how was the experience in Athens itself?  Restaurants and attractions open?  Masks required? And so on...Thanks.

 

As to masks being required, our group always had them at least around our ears if not over faces. outside in Athens. Lifted them up when in shops, museums, etc. I would say about half in Athens were not wearing. In Santorini today, I would say most were not wearing masks at all. We wore ours as some of the paths are a bit close person to person - but of course much less so than when we here five years ago. The public bus required everyone to keep them on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ATLJC said:

That was NOT the case for our party of 6 during noon check-in.  All of us were asked for proof of our vaccines and each card was photographed on the tablets that the check-in personal used to process all of our required documents. 

 

They first scanned our QR codes and then took the photo of the vaccine card. We were then sent to get our PCR tests.  Once the test results came back (35 minutes later), we then were allowed to proceed to the ship, where before boarding they took pictures of our passports, again with the tablets, and cleared security

 

That was the process for everyone I saw checking in, and it was all very well monitored by both shore-side and ship personal.

Very good to hear.  Maybe Kreative03 got missed somehow.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We're booked on the July 9th Apex sailing and just got the email yesterday regarding the mask requirements indoors AND outdoors. We're pretty disappointed since we were thinking we'd have a reprieve from the masks while onboard since the cruise is fully vaccinated. We're considering cancelling.

 

Would love to hear from anyone sailing how strict they are on enforcing the mask requirements, particularly outside. I don't have a problem masking up in the theatre, but lounging on the deck in 90 degree heat, that's rough.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like you should cancel.  They have informed you of the rules.  They shouldn't be put in the position to have to enforce them.  If you can't follow the rules please choose another vacation where you will be comfortable following the rules.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...