I want our pleather document folders back (tears)

atexsix

Last evening I took our passports, vaccine cards, and a few other paperwork items and tucked them away for safekeeping.  It was just this morning that I remembered what we no longer have anymore: the document folder!  That magical period about a month before the sailing of stalking the mailbox, waiting and waiting, maybe calling HAL to see if they were mailed, waiting some more, asking in roll call who received there's, more waiting....and finally there they were!  I'd add my own items and guarded it for dear life like it had a million dollars in it.   

I love the convenience of tech as much as anybody else, but the phone app is just no substitute for that smelly piece of pleather and the experience I just described.  

I think I'm going to make my own, especially now that we have health related papers to add.  What does everybody else do?

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I think I'm going to make my own, especially now that we have health related papers to add.  What does everybody else do?

I sill have my old HAL ones and use them.  I rarely use the real leather one but the latter variety that you are calling pleather 😉   They’ve held up very well and make reaching for airline tickets, etc very easy for me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I sill have my old HAL ones and use them.  I rarely use the real leather one but the latter variety that you are calling pleather 😉   They’ve held up very well and make reaching for airline tickets, etc very easy for me.

I still have.mine too and use it for all trips not just cruises.  I have tabs for the various documents.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, T8NCruise said:

I still have.mine too and use it for all trips not just cruises.  I have tabs for the various documents.

Ditto!  HAL provided tabs at one time and I still use them too.

Sometimes it pays to keep things 😉 

• Like 4

Just now, Mary229 said:

Real documents with preprinted boarding passes, luggage tags, I just think that is a classy touch.  My TA sent me a new one this year.  

Years ago, that was how it was on HAL.  

Princess used to do something similar but they didn’t have the nice document folder HAL did.  The only negative to it was you might not receive things in time.  Never happened with HAL but on Princess we didn’t have our boarding passes in time for our cruise.  We were flying to Australia so we were a tad nervous.  It all worked out, thankfully.

We still use our old HAL "pleather" cases to carry our passports, travel confirmation stuff, boarding pass, currency, baggage tags etc.....It works great for us still today.  

Last time we were leaving from Port Everglades, the check in lady commented on it and said she remembered those days.......

• Like 2

Just now, kazu said:

The only negative to it was you might not receive things in time.

That is true, but it was nice to have the organized and durable folio.  Since then I just use the luggage tags at the port - I am a real cheapskate for those type of things and prefer not to use my ink and paper for an organization I just handed a bunch of money to.   Sometimes a little touch of class adds to the overall experience.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richwmn said:

If HAL offered to send you documents in a case as an option, what would you pay for it?

I only go on fairly expensive cruises, I feel like I already have!   It is just a lament, nothing serious.

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

If HAL offered to send you documents in a case as an option, what would you pay for it?

At a reasonable price?  Yes.  Why would one notice such a thing in addition to all of the port taxes and fees?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

I still use our old one from HAL from 2008. 

E95997CE-1D22-4C43-99D3-CCDF5B8CF8CD.jpeg

19241549-53A8-4A33-B660-3D08D559D857.jpeg

That is what I have recently been using.  I am sure in my archives of previous HAL cruises, the former style of case is there.  It's something I would have been unlikely to have discarded.  

I have recently been given a document type folder from QE2 First Class that could be used for the same purpose as the HAL folders.  It is real leather.  

• Like 3

I do miss the old pleather Hal doc folders, I miss celebrating Doc Dancing 😂

I think some where in a box I kept one or two but do remember cleaning out my desk a few years ago and throwing away at least 20 folders. What I did keep and continued to use was the heavy duty paper folder that was once given at check in at the pier. I could put my printed eDocs and printed dining reservations in this and it fit better in my travel purse.

But sadly it has seen better days too lol

32B3D323-A4DA-41E0-AC4E-395A6AA5FEC6.jpeg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

What I did keep and continued to use was the heavy duty paper folder that was once given at check in at the pier. I could put my printed eDocs and printed dining reservations in this and it fit better in my travel purse.

But sadly it has seen better days too lol

Yep.  I have some of those in my archives as well.  

• Like 1

I do miss the pleather!  And other little niceties that said, "You have a big trip coming up!"  Like pretty luggage tags.

I did a land bus tour with DD not long before pandemic.   Remember they used to give you special day bags that were just the perfect size to fit in a bus overhead?  No more.  I had to scour the countryside for a bag that fit the totally offbeat dimensions.

Ah, well...the beat goes on.  Can't look back.