Jump to content

Is there a way to make dining reservations for the specialty restaurants before you board using the UDP?


Recommended Posts

I have called RCCL and checked both the mobile app and the web version, and I don't see any way to select a dining time for specialty restaurants using the Unlimited Dining package.  When I try to book using the website, it wants to charge me again.  I am trying to plan my trip and this seems like it should be possible to do.  A

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My understanding is that you have to wait until you are on board in order to make those reservations.  In choosing the UDP, you chose the discount rather than the ability to book ahead of time.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, misguy said:

I have called RCCL and checked both the mobile app and the web version, and I don't see any way to select a dining time for specialty restaurants using the Unlimited Dining package.  When I try to book using the website, it wants to charge me again.  I am trying to plan my trip and this seems like it should be possible to do.  A

No, not possible. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, acpalmer said:

My understanding is that you have to wait until you are on board in order to make those reservations.  In choosing the UDP, you chose the discount rather than the ability to book ahead of time.

Correct!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, what I do is....  

 

I know when the ship is in port and when I suspect the shows will be, and then on the first day I find a maitre D at one of the specialties and look at my pre-made preferred times and then let them tell me what is open when I want to go.  I do it almost immediately after getting on the ship.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have on occasion paid for a restaurant on a specific day and time when it was very important to get that dining time/restaurant.  On board the paid reservation was simply cancelled and put as a credit to my seapass account and then immediately re reserved under my UDP.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2021 at 5:40 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

I have on occasion paid for a restaurant on a specific day and time when it was very important to get that dining time/restaurant.  On board the paid reservation was simply cancelled and put as a credit to my seapass account and then immediately re reserved under my UDP.

So are you saying you are taking a reservation spot, that you know you are not going to use with that booking, possibly preventing someone else who would be entitled to it first from getting it?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, FPP777 said:

So are you saying you are taking a reservation spot, that you know you are not going to use with that booking, possibly preventing someone else who would be entitled to it first from getting it?

No, i am not saying that at all.  I book the time I want, pay for it and then keep that spot but get my money refunded.  You really should reread my post as it was quite clear.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went we had the UDP we were able to get lunch on embarkation day at one of the specialty restaurants without reservations and then make reservations for all the other nights/restaurants while we were there. We just talked to the person manning the desk at the restaurant entrance and they took care of everything for us. Later in the cruise we made some changes to our original reservations without any problems.  Not sure if it still works this way.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, orkaren1 said:

Went we had the UDP we were able to get lunch on embarkation day at one of the specialty restaurants without reservations and then make reservations for all the other nights/restaurants while we were there. We just talked to the person manning the desk at the restaurant entrance and they took care of everything for us. Later in the cruise we made some changes to our original reservations without any problems.  Not sure if it still works this way.

It does

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

No, i am not saying that at all.  I book the time I want, pay for it and then keep that spot but get my money refunded.  You really should reread my post as it was quite clear.

I did read it. You say, and these are my words, you make a reservation you are not going to use,  so that you can tie up that time slot, that could prevent someone else from taking that time slot.  Is that not what you are doing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, FPP777 said:

I did read it. You say, and these are my words, you make a reservation you are not going to use,  so that you can tie up that time slot, that could prevent someone else from taking that time slot.  Is that not what you are doing?

Read the rest of the post...the last few words..."then immediately re reserved under my UDP""

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Read the rest of the post...the last few words..."then immediately re reserved under my UDP""

I read the whole thing. You book UDP, then you book a specific restaurant and time knowing that you will cancel that booking. This way, if the person standing in front of you in line on boarding day wants that restaurant and time, they cant have it because you booked it knowing you were going to cancel and covert. I know life is not fair, and most people dont care, but is that fair to the person in front of you.    

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FPP777 said:

I read the whole thing. You book UDP, then you book a specific restaurant and time knowing that you will cancel that booking. This way, if the person standing in front of you in line on boarding day wants that restaurant and time, they cant have it because you booked it knowing you were going to cancel and covert. I know life is not fair, and most people dont care, but is that fair to the person in front of you.    

As long as Royal allows it I don't have an issue with it.  If Royal wanted to prevent it they could easily not allow refunds.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, FPP777 said:

I read the whole thing. You book UDP, then you book a specific restaurant and time knowing that you will cancel that booking. This way, if the person standing in front of you in line on boarding day wants that restaurant and time, they cant have it because you booked it knowing you were going to cancel and covert. I know life is not fair, and most people dont care, but is that fair to the person in front of you.    

 

People also prebook with the C&A Bogo on nights one and two. They just convert the prepayment to a OBC when it is time to pay the bill.  A Pinnacle told me about this technique.
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, FPP777 said:

I did read it. You say, and these are my words, you make a reservation you are not going to use,  so that you can tie up that time slot, that could prevent someone else from taking that time slot.  Is that not what you are doing?

 

Here is the actual post, not your paraphrase

 

I have on occasion paid for a restaurant on a specific day and time when it was very important to get that dining time/restaurant.  On board the paid reservation was simply cancelled and put as a credit to my seapass account and then immediately re reserved under my UDP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, FPP777 said:

I read the whole thing. You book UDP, then you book a specific restaurant and time knowing that you will cancel that booking. This way, if the person standing in front of you in line on boarding day wants that restaurant and time, they cant have it because you booked it knowing you were going to cancel and covert. I know life is not fair, and most people dont care, but is that fair to the person in front of you.    

 

You are making a huge stretch.

 

Ken booked the slot he wanted, not cancelling anything. 

 

It is true that a slot for your typical UDP passenger is gone prior to boarding, but that's just the way it is. Nothing is being tied up to then be cancelled

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Ken booked the slot he wanted, not cancelling anything. 

 

If anything, he gave them an interest free loan to hold that reservation.  If RC had an issue with it, they’d change their program to reflect it. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, FPP777 said:

I read the whole thing. You book UDP, then you book a specific restaurant and time knowing that you will cancel that booking. This way, if the person standing in front of you in line on boarding day wants that restaurant and time, they cant have it because you booked it knowing you were going to cancel and covert. I know life is not fair, and most people dont care, but is that fair to the person in front of you.    

We have done the same thing many times, our wedding anniversary always seems to be in the middle of our 14 night transatlantics.  We usually have a 3 night and 5 night package. Make an additional full price 8pm reservation for our Anniversary night, then when we make all the reservation for the two weeks we just use a package night for the anniversary night and cancel the full price night.  Last cruise on Symphony the host in Wonderland cancelled the full price reservation on the spot and said no need to go to guest services to cancel.  Cancelations on board are given a fully refundable OBC.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/19/2021 at 4:44 PM, xpcdoojk said:

 I do it almost immediately after getting on the ship.  

I do this as well. Works every time. I also ask about the Chef's Table and what kind of deal they would offer me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...