Silversea or Seabourn

Doolz

1 hour ago, M&PGermany said:

Shuffleboard and mixology are my sort of sports ☺️

You can have the Shuffleboard and I will take the mixology😃

• Haha 1

On 6/28/2021 at 10:08 AM, cruiseej said:

Even after whatever cleaning they do, I would not want to be in that room next. Oh, wait, they probably are in a level of suite that we will never pay for. Problem solved. 😉 

I realize the problem, but if a crew member does nothing wouldn’t you go to the hotel manager to solve the problem.  Even get the Captain involved—if nothing is done put it in writing.

On 7/2/2021 at 8:21 AM, nowornever said:

If you score enough points with trivia, putting contests, bingo, etc, you can get a very nice tote bag.  I wonder if these "traditions" will change post COVID?  I hope we'll find out after the first few cruises.

That's interesting - so Silversea does this differently - you accumulate points by winning various games and contests and then redeem prizes at the end with your total point balance.

On Seabourn, you win prizes for each game or contest.  This resulted in my having accumulated - and given away - dozens of teddy bears, umbrellas, flashlights, baseball caps, mugs, backpacks, duffel bags, adapters, pens, etc. over the years...  (Luckily, they seem to have either run out of or discontinued passport and checkbook covers!)  Most cruise directors are flexible and would allow you to exchange gifts.

SF...do not knock the checkbook cover, I still use mine, not to mention the decks of cards!  If you play your trivia right on Silversea, you could be the proud owner of a mouse pad guaranteed to last a few days.  Never a shortage of tchotchkes on either line.

• Like 1

Shipboard swag story:

:Reminds me of my first long "cruise" - which actually a RTW passenger ship back in the 1970s before the growth of modern cruise ship industry, and in fact this ship was later converted into one of the first all in-suite cabin, more modern cruise ships. We had bunk beds and bathrooms down the hall and no real passenger amenities - it was basically a bus trip taking one from point to point by sea. 

I had saved the deck of ship's logo cards from that memorable trip and was saddened to hear decades later the ship went down in a fire off the coast of Malaysia (no lives lost), after several other owners and iterations: Lloyd Triestino G. Gallilei >>Celebrity Meridian >>> Sun Vista gambling ship

On a much later cruise we were going to go past that wreck site, now a popular scuba dive spot, and I thought I would be a good memorial to toss out just the Joker from that deck of cards on to the sea in her direction, in fond remembrance.  Ships services agreed to notify me when we were near her coordinates in the Straights of Malacca. I could vaguely see dive boat activity clustered on the horizon. 

The moment had come. There were less strict regulations about tossing anything overboard at that time, but I hadn't planned on the winds while the ship was in motion so the tossed Joker card somehow got blown back on to a lower deck, and never got the chance to float to its watery home. 

• Like 3

I have a question about the pools on Silversea ships.

On Seabourn, the pool is pretty much the same size on the entire fleet, and it is small.  However, I can still manage to swim laps when the pool is not crowded.  (Two people can swim laps easily at the same time.)

Should I expect the same on Silversea?  I'll be on the Shadow soon and hope to swim laps every day.  I also read that the pool on the newer ships is a tad bigger.

17 hours ago, nowornever said:

SF...do not knock the checkbook cover, I still use mine, not to mention the decks of cards!  If you play your trivia right on Silversea, you could be the proud owner of a mouse pad guaranteed to last a few days.

I'd like a mouse pad.  I wish Seabourn had mouse pads...

52 minutes ago, sfvoyage said:

I have a question about the pools on Silversea ships.

On Seabourn, the pool is pretty much the same size on the entire fleet, and it is small.  However, I can still manage to swim laps when the pool is not crowded.  (Two people can swim laps easily at the same time.)

Should I expect the same on Silversea?  I'll be on the Shadow soon and hope to swim laps every day.  I also read that the pool on the newer ships is a tad bigger.

One can swim laps on Shadow. Many people do. But they won't be very long laps.  

Edited by Observer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

The moment had come. There were less strict regulations about tossing anything overboard at that time, but I hadn't planned on the winds while the ship was in motion so the tossed Joker card somehow got blown back on to a lower deck, and never got the chance to float to its watery home. 

Thanks for sharing your story.  Had nothing to throw overboard, but as the Zaandam sailed by the area where the Graf Spee had been scuttled outside of Montevideo, I was on deck just to remember.  

I remember when the Amsterdam arrived in the harbor for Santorini seeing the floating markers where the Sea Diamond had sunk just a year before my visit to the port.  

Sobering remembrances at least for me.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Thanks 1

Does Seabourn provide bedside flashlights that are yours to keep when u disembark? Silversea does and i use them nightly here at home.

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, WesW said:

Does Seabourn provide bedside flashlights that are yours to keep when u disembark? Silversea does and i use them nightly here at home.

No big flashlight that I know of.  But there is night light in the room to guide you, and you can always ask for one of those smaller flashlights - we have won many at trivia and other games. 

About pools, the pools on the Muse class are far longer and deeper than the pools on the Seabourn ships. This allows for real swimming as opposed to standing around and chatting. The Silversea Moon pool and the top deck, scenic circular track make our next cruise on Silversea very inviting. We know what we are talking about as we are doing BTBs with Seabourn Ovation now and Moon on the 18th.

Happy and healthy sailing!

17 hours ago, WesW said:

Light or noi light, we always pack a few of those battery powered candles.  They are small and give you just the right amount of light to find the bathroom.  Also nice to have in the entire way or living area.  We don’t bring them back with us—-actually crew wants them.

• Like 1

I am sure that someone has already mentioned this but I could not find it in the advantages of Seabourn.  For anyone who is very fond of caviar,  you can order it anytime during your cruise.  Which means I sometimes order it during pre-dinner cocktails, sometimes as an appetizer at dinner or sometimes just as a special treat during the day.  I always request that they skip the 

accoutrements since I prefer to eat it without any distractions.  This photo is from the Sojourn in 2019 when they also served it on floating trays in the surf at the beach party.  I hope this special feature of Seabourn is not discontinued with Covid being the excuse.

Seabourn Sojourn MIA 12d 2019-11-04 138.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, amusea said:

I am sure that someone has already mentioned this but I could not find it in the advantages of Seabourn.  For anyone who is very fond of caviar,  you can order it anytime during your cruise.  Which means I sometimes order it during pre-dinner cocktails, sometimes as an appetizer at dinner or sometimes just as a special treat during the day.  I always request that they skip the 

accoutrements since I prefer to eat it without any distractions.  This photo is from the Sojourn in 2019 when they also served it on floating trays in the surf at the beach party.  I hope this special feature of Seabourn is not discontinued with Covid being the excuse.

Seabourn Sojourn MIA 12d 2019-11-04 138.JPG

As you can at any time on SS.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, amusea said:

I am sure that someone has already mentioned this but I could not find it in the advantages of Seabourn.

Maybe I’m not understanding your point, but how is this an advantage for Seabourn when caviar is readily available at any time on Silversea?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Maybe I’m not understanding your point, but how is this an advantage for Seabourn when caviar is readily available at any time on Silversea?

Some of us may not have been au courant with Project Invictus making caviar an inclusive item on Silversea post RCL acquisition.

• Like 2

I enjoyed both lines pre COVID,so will be interesting to see how they now compare. I’ll be doing the trans Atlantic on the Silver Dawn on November 19, then will be on the Seabourn Ovation on 12/21 for the holiday canal cruise from Florida to LA . Excited about both, especially the Dawn after the great reviews of the Moon ,

4 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

Some of us may not have been au courant with Project Invictus making caviar an inclusive item on Silversea post RCL acquisition.

Hence why one probably shouldn’t make comparisons if they haven’t experienced Silversea since 2018. 😉

Actually the Caviar anytime on Silverseas is a nice perk I’m looking forward to having.  On Regent they only have it on Sundays breakfast——-I’m not saying Caviar is the only reason we’re Silverseas, but it’s a nice extra perk and I hope they keep that service going.

• Like 1

This will irritate some but the truth. We have done 8 SS cruises. Two of our worse cruises were when the owner and his family and friends were on board. They monopolized the crew who were working like crazy. They were rude loud and basically took over the ship.Maybe one of your experiences happened when the owner was on board with family.