Silversea or Seabourn

Doolz

41 minutes ago, Capri73 said:

Two of our worse cruises were when the owner and his family and friends were on board. They monopolized the crew who were working like crazy. They were rude loud and basically took over the ship.

Thanks for sharing.  We’ve never sailed with the former owner and his friends before.  Sounds like I never want to either.

13 hours ago, Capri73 said:

This will irritate some but the truth. We have done 8 SS cruises. Two of our worse cruises were when the owner and his family and friends were on board. They monopolized the crew who were working like crazy. They were rude loud and basically took over the ship.Maybe one of your experiences happened when the owner was on board with family.

Being a public company, there should not be any "Owner". upper management- yes

15 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Being a public company, there should not be any "Owner". upper management- yes

Silversea was a closely held, privately owned family affair until it was purchased (in stages) by RCL several years ago.  So the report regarding cruises when the owner and friends/family were on board are plausible.  I have sailed once with members of the family who then owned Silversea.  I certainly saw crew go out of their way to serve them (as is likely to occur in any establishment when the boss/owner shows up.)  But I never saw rudeness, inappropriate conduct, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/10/2021 at 2:48 AM, amusea said:

For anyone who is very fond of caviar,  you can order it anytime during your cruise. 

Do you know what kind of caviar it is?

On 7/10/2021 at 1:04 PM, Stumblefoot said:

caviar is readily available at any time on Silversea?

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Since 2019 the brand has been Ars Italica.  But, I don’t know if their partnership is still in place.  Hopefully, Lois, or others who sailed the first two voyages, can update us all.

• Thanks 1

The former sole owners were a very high end Italian family of good breeding and very refined. Quiet people, very sedate. We once sailed  with them too and some board members we met by accident one day and became friendly with. One a contessa. Another the former president of the Banco de Roma They invited us to sit with them at the table and it was most enjoyable. Sure they got special treatment but never at the expense of others on board. In fact, the opposite, the crew was especially on their toes to be extra vigilant to all. Some say the early days of the SS operations in the mid 1990's on the first two small ships Wind and Cloud were its golden years.

50 minutes ago, brittany12 said:

The former sole owners were a very high end Italian family of good breeding and very refined. Quiet people, very sedate. We once sailed  with them too and some board members we met by accident one day and became friendly with. One a contessa. Another the former president of the Banco de Roma They invited us to sit with them at the table and it was most enjoyable. Sure they got special treatment but never at the expense of others on board. In fact, the opposite, the crew was especially on their toes to be extra vigilant to all. Some say the early days of the SS operations in the mid 1990's on the first two small ships Wind and Cloud were its golden years.

I can attest to that.  There were PAX on board for months at a time....celebrities.....Leona Helmsley on one cruise.....anyone remember her?  It truly was a fantastic experience, which is not taking anything away from current progress.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dusababy said:

I can attest to that.  There were PAX on board for months at a time....celebrities.....Leona Helmsley on one cruise.....anyone remember her?  It truly was a fantastic experience, which is not taking anything away from current progress.  

The queen of mean!

• Like 1