Freedom of the Seas - sets sail for 1st Trial run with Volunteers

These two guys were on the AOTS first cruise out of the Bahamas.  They document the experience thoroughly in many videos -- From the beginning at the airport to the last cruise day. Since Freedom is leaving out of PortMiami on July 3rd, the rules may be different than from the Bahamas. 

27 minutes ago, kstetser said:

Can someone who actually sailed explain how unvaccinated were allowed not to wear masks, when required?    Is it honor system?  No way to distinguish vaccinated from unvaccinated?  Crew just not enforcing the requirements?  I think understanding these, and other facts, will be important when future cruisers are deciding to sail or to cancel.   I was under the impression from their official statements that masks for unvaccinated passengers were not optional, but required (when indoors or when social distancing was not possible).   

Great questions anc concerns. I would like to know too.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kstetser said:

Can someone who actually sailed explain how unvaccinated were allowed not to wear masks, when required?    Is it honor system?  No way to distinguish vaccinated from unvaccinated?  Crew just not enforcing the requirements?  I think understanding these, and other facts, will be important when future cruisers are deciding to sail or to cancel.   I was under the impression from their official statements that masks for unvaccinated passengers were not optional, but required (when indoors or when social distancing was not possible).   

Although I was not onboard, i do know that all guests 16 and older had to be vaccinated to sail.  That meant only those younger than 16 could sail unvaccinated and were required to wear a mask.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise?dPort=bahamas

BTW, here are the protocols for the July cruises on Freedom.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise?dPort=miami

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Many of the unvaccinated passengers on the Adventure last week did not comply with the masking rules. 

I assume those were children?

3 minutes ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

Although I was not onboard, i do know that all guests 16 and older had to be vaccinated to sail.  That meant only those younger than 16 could sail unvaccinated and were required to wear a mask.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise?dPort=bahamas

BTW, here are the protocols for the July cruises on Freedom.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise?dPort=miami

Tom

Thanks for posting the RCI protocols.  I did not find anything that states anything about wristlets for the vaccinated.  Did it state if the Sea Pass cards will be punched with a hole for the unvaccinated?  I'm wondering how they will be able to differentiate the vaccinated from the unvaccinated? 

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Thanks for posting the RCI protocols.  I did not find anything that states anything about wristlets for the vaccinated.  Did it state if the Sea Pass cards will be punched with a hole for the unvaccinated?  I'm wondering how they will be able to differentiate the vaccinated from the unvaccinated? 

I don't see anything like that in the protocols, but this was for Freedom in July:

"Please note, your SeaPass card will be required to access lounges, shows and dining venues, so keep it handy at all times during your cruise." 

That could alert the crew member about your status. 

Tom

Edited by notmyrealnameoremail
Hit submit too quick.

7 minutes ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

I don't see anything like that in the protocols, but this was for Freedom in July:

"Please note, your SeaPass card will be required to access lounges, shows and dining venues, so keep it handy at all times during your cruise." 

That would could alert the crew member about your status. 

Tom

Yes - I guess that's one way of checking.  I'm on Freedom in September so by that time things will have probably changed from the first cruises out. 

27 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

That's why I commented about that earlier, everyone has been talking about wristbands all weekend but nowhere in the Royal Caribbean protocols have they mentioned them and I am not going to take a bloggers word for it, all it seems to be is wishful thinking on the bloggers part.

1 minute ago, mauraoel said:

That's why I commented about that earlier, everyone has been talking about wristbands all weekend but nowhere in the Royal Caribbean protocols have they mentioned them and I am not going to take a bloggers word for it, all it seems to be is wishful thinking on the bloggers part.

That blogger was on the AOTS out of the Bahamas and possibly heard it from a RCI person.  The protocols for sailing out of Miami will be different than that of the Bahamas, I suppose.  So, you are right, until it is officially stated by RCI, we should not take anyone's word for it.  

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

That blogger was on the AOTS out of the Bahamas and possibly heard it from a RCI person.  The protocols for sailing out of Miami will be different than that of the Bahamas, I suppose.  So, you are right, until it is officially stated by RCI, we should not take anyone's word for it.  

I truely can see them marking the seapass somehow since they have said you have to show it to enter venues but I just can't see wristbands.

4 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

I truely can see them marking the seapass somehow since they have said you have to show it to enter venues but I just can't see wristbands.

Wristbands were mentioned by Yahoo news quoting the Points Guy.  They talk about a letter sent to July Freedom of the Seas passengers but it was hard to tell if the wristbands were included in the letter or just something the Points Guy said. 

"Vaccinated passengers will be given a wristband that shows they are vaccinated, while unvaccinated passengers will have a hole punched in their key cards, The Points Guy reported."

https://news.yahoo.com/royal-caribbean-imposes-restrictions-unvaccinated-221541070.html

For the FOTS July 3 cruise there is NO ONE under 18!   Everyone has to be vaccinated. Pure Speck:  They could have these folks try different configurations of masks, no masks, in different venues and via dining.  They're all RCCL people. DO NOT look to this cruise as a guide for future RCCL cruises.  Things will be different.,  

3 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

For the FOTS July 3 cruise there is NO ONE under 18!   Everyone has to be vaccinated. Pure Speck:  They could have these folks try different configurations of masks, no masks, in different venues and via dining.  They're all RCCL people. DO NOT look to this cruise as a guide for future RCCL cruises.  Things will be different.,  

Do you have a link for the July 3rd cruise that states that information? 

25 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Wristbands were mentioned by Yahoo news quoting the Points Guy.  They talk about a letter sent to July Freedom of the Seas passengers but it was hard to tell if the wristbands were included in the letter or just something the Points Guy said. 

"Vaccinated passengers will be given a wristband that shows they are vaccinated, while unvaccinated passengers will have a hole punched in their key cards, The Points Guy reported."

https://news.yahoo.com/royal-caribbean-imposes-restrictions-unvaccinated-221541070.html

A different color seapass would be good option, imo.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Yes, I agree -- that would solve the problem without having to wear wristbands.  

Easily scanned, or should we wear lanyards 🤔

I may have sounded like I am anti wristband but in actuality, it's my husband he has been hospitalized three times this spring and a few additional trips to the ER and if he has to put another bracelet on his wrist he will probably have a conniption. 😃

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

I may have sounded like I am anti wristband but in actuality, it's my husband he has been hospitalized three times this spring and a few additional trips to the ER and if he has to put another bracelet on his wrist he will probably have a conniption. 😃

I understand his aversion to wristbands.  But women can wear these stylish ones instead of lanyards. One for everyday and another fancy one for formal night -- LOL!

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 4.44.21 PM.png

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

I understand his aversion to wristbands.  But women can wear these stylish ones instead of lanyards. One for everyday and another fancy one for formal night -- LOL!

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 4.44.21 PM.png

Actually when we actually go into the office he wears a lanyard all the time.  So he would be cool with a lanyard me I would prefer your bracelet where ever did you get it?

1 minute ago, mauraoel said:

Actually when we actually go into the office he wears a lanyard all the time.  So he would be cool with a lanyard me I would prefer your bracelet where ever did you get it?

I found it on this site:

https://redshoesredwine.com/move-over-cruise-lanyards-bracelets-are-the-new-chic/

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kstetser said:

CC article was posted on this.  Only unvaccinated kids under 16 had to wear a mask.  The author said she saw a few kids by the elevators not wearing them, but overall the kids were very good about it. There were no unvaccinated adults on board, so I imagine it must be pretty easy to supervise for crew.  No idea how they are going to police unvaccinated adults on the Florida cruises.  Cruises elsewhere out of US will be all vaccinated except age-ineligible kids.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/ab/agents/variation-a/articles.cfm?ID=6212&sr=1&sd=2

It's hard to get kids to wear masks! Were they really complying?

Yes, for the most part. While I did see a few kids without masks near the elevator a few times, I was actually pleasantly surprised at how well most seemed to adapt. Remember, kids have been wearing masks to go to school and in other public places in most parts of the country for months. The parents I talked to said it wasn't an issue.

The only time I really saw kids unmasked was in the buffet when they were eating and drinking; at the splash park, main pool and whirlpools in the main area; and at Perfect Day at CocoCay when we were all outdoors anyway. 

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

CC article was posted on this.  Only unvaccinated kids under16 had to wear a mask.  The author said she saw a few kids by the elevators not wearing them, but overall the kids were very good about it. There were no unvaccinated adults on board, so I imagine it must be pretty easy to supervise for crew.  No idea how they are going to police unvaccinated adults on the Florida cruises.  Cruises elsewhere out of US will be all vaccinated except age-ineligible kids.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/ab/agents/variation-a/articles.cfm?ID=6212&sr=1&sd=2

It's hard to get kids to wear masks! Were they really complying?

Yes, for the most part. While I did see a few kids without masks near the elevator a few times, I was actually pleasantly surprised at how well most seemed to adapt. Remember, kids have been wearing masks to go to school and in other public places in most parts of the country for months. The parents I talked to said it wasn't an issue.

The only time I really saw kids unmasked was in the buffet when they were eating and drinking; at the splash park, main pool and whirlpools in the main area; and at Perfect Day at CocoCay when we were all outdoors anyway. 

We will definitely have to wait and see what happens out of Florida.  I believe the rule thus far (this is subject to change at any moment I assume) is that everyone has to wear a mask (vaccinated or not) while indoors and not eating or drinking. 

• Like 1

Just now, livingonthebeach said:

We will definitely have to wait and see what happens out of Florida.  I believe the rule thus far (this is subject to change at any moment I assume) is that everyone has to wear a mask (vaccinated or not) while indoors and not eating or drinking. 

Yup.  Forgot about that.  Thanks!

• Like 1