anyone use the 2 to 3 week expedited passport renewal service for $150 lately?

compozer

My son's girlfriend had the post office help her with this expedited service.   It is past the three week window.   No passport yet.   They are suppose to fly out the end of the week.    She has been trying for many months to get it renewed and more issues with no appointments available and since she had a name change  and was not told at first she needed original documents.

If anyone used this service, did you received your passport within the three weeks.   And if not, how long did it take?? 

Thanks so much for any input!!

9 minutes ago, compozer said:

My son's girlfriend had the post office help her with this expedited service.   It is past the three week window.   No passport yet.   They are suppose to fly out the end of the week.    She has been trying for many months to get it renewed and more issues with no appointments available and since she had a name change  and was not told at first she needed original documents.

If anyone used this service, did you received your passport within the three weeks.   And if not, how long did it take?? 

First mistake: asking the USPS for assistance.

In any case, the Passport folks have a customer service number.

Call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877- 487-2778 or 1-888-874-7793

7 minutes ago, compozer said:

Thanks for the fast reply.   She has no experience traveling - no one asked for my help.   Have been trying the phone every 15 minutes.   Line is always busy.

Call right when they open (eastern standard time probably). And they must have email or chat contacts as well.

1 hour ago, compozer said:

Ask her to call her Congressman's Office in Washington and ask for their help.  That is one of the reasons they exist:  to help their constituents.  If she cannot directly contact the the Congressman's Washington Office, call his/her local District Office.  

She already checked on line and for a week it has said "in process".    I did call the post office.  The man said there is nothing for 2 - 3 week expedited service.   She told me many times the guy said she would get it in 3 weeks.  She is not dumb - has her doctorate degree.  Why did he tell her three weeks if he knew it took longer and then why didn't he suggest she contact Chicago and go in person. I also started calling and finally got through but when they connected me to an agent - busy - that happened 6 times and Then we hit it.   But we have been on hold 35 minutes.   Recording said it could take 2 hours.   Chicago office closed at 3 and you need an appointment.  I also thought about calling my representative.   Use to be good friends but now no connections.  Will give them a try.  

Thanks all!!

According to the State Department's website (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html/😞

Door-to-Door Times

Expedited: Costs an extra $60. Door-to-door service in 12 weeks (includes up to 6 weeks processing and 6 weeks mailing on front and back end).

I don't understand what the $150 fee was for?  Was that for both the passport and the 'expedited' delivery?  If so, that makes no sense since a passport renewal costs $110.  With 'expedited' service she should have been charged $170 ($110 + $60).

agree capriccio.   We have a couple days left but I don't have my hopes up.    She is so mad at this post office agent that she is ready to go over there and have a talk with him.    I took this off their site earlier and it is what I always believed and way I questioned her numerous times. - You can now get routine (10-12 week) and expedited (4-6 week) passport processing   

tks

After being on hold with Passport customer service for (3) three hours plus two hours trying to get on, she spoke to a rep.  Said there was no way to check progress - website says it has been in process for 2 1/2 weeks.   He suggested she make an appointment in either Minneapolis or Chicago.   He checked - they are completely booked through Friday.  

Keeping fingers crossed 

14 hours ago, compozer said:

I took this off their site earlier and it is what I always believed and way I questioned her numerous times. - You can now get routine (10-12 week) and expedited (4-6 week) passport processing   

This is what we saw when DS just reapplied for his passport. FWIW he used the expedited service and it has been just over 4 weeks now since it was received -- it is still "in processing" as we more or less expected...

22 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

This is what we saw when DS just reapplied for his passport. FWIW he used the expedited service and it has been just over 4 weeks now since it was received -- it is still "in processing" as we more or less expected...

I figured those reports were not very accurate.   She signed up for email updates and I laughed to myself - if they are so short staffed, how in the world would they have time to send updates?    

So, how long did it take for him to get it?   

23 minutes ago, compozer said:

I figured those reports were not very accurate.   She signed up for email updates and I laughed to myself - if they are so short staffed, how in the world would they have time to send updates?    

As I said above we are just at 4 weeks now and still processing. We are hoping it shows up in 6 weeks but we have longer so it's not a huge concern for us.

I hope it works out for her.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, compozer said:

The email updates would probably be completely automated. It's like when you buy something online and it gets shipped. The status change triggers an automated email. It shouldn't take additional human involvement beyond whatever was needed to change the status.

We have a little positive news.   My congressman called today and is sending an inquiry.  They will pull her applications and hopefully fast track it.     rkacruiser,  thanks for your post.   It pushed me to call sooner than I would have.   

Three days and counting.   I started a new weekly cancer treatment last Wednesday and I called my doc this am.   She said I could take a week break so, as a backup, I might go.  Our group usually does 4 dives a day so we will see how my treatment goes tomorrow to see if I will be up for it.

Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, compozer said:

We have a little positive news.   My congressman called today and is sending an inquiry.  They will pull her applications and hopefully fast track it.     rkacruiser,  thanks for your post.   It pushed me to call sooner than I would have.   

Please keep us informed as to how this develops.  I am glad that my suggestion may have been beneficial.  

37 minutes ago, compozer said:

Thanks rkacruiser.   I just received an email saying the paperwork was sent BUT they can not guarantee since they are so back logged.    We will just have to wait and see.

Good luck!  Again, please let all of us know what develops.  

Oh boy, I hope this works out for her.  I'll bet a lot of Cruise Critic members have checked expiration dates after reading your thread!  I know we did.  

Take care and Good Luck!  

Unfortunately you cannot always rely on the update notices either. When I renewed mine, I received a notice when it was shipped. Two days later I received a notice that it was in process and would be shipped soon. I received it the next day and a day later got another notice that it was shipping.

9 hours ago, garlinn said:

Have you contacted any of the Passport expediting services. Some of them advertise 24 hour turnaround. I am not sure if they can help since it has already been sent in but it is worth  a call.

No, I did not know these services were available.  Not sure if it would do any good at this point.  thanks for posting

9 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Unfortunately you cannot always rely on the update notices either. When I renewed mine, I received a notice when it was shipped. Two days later I received a notice that it was in process and would be shipped soon. I received it the next day and a day later got another notice that it was shipping.

I figured the updates were worthless.

9 hours ago, ldubs said:

Oh boy, I hope this works out for her.  I'll bet a lot of Cruise Critic members have checked expiration dates after reading your thread!  I know we did.  

Take care and Good Luck!  

Thanks.    Yes, everyone needs to keep an eye on those dates.  Hope my posts helps others.  That is why we come here.

• Like 1