Jump to content

LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

There appeared to be a group coming off a small boat at one point.  Were there tour companies on the pier offering other options?  We have only booked the included and given we don’t know for sure that Viking won’t reinstate the bubble I hesitate to book something independently in advance. 

 

2 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

There appeared to be a group coming off a small boat at one point.  Were there tour companies on the pier offering other options?  We have only booked the included and given we don’t know for sure that Viking won’t reinstate the bubble I hesitate to book something independently in advance. 

Years ago I spent a fascinating day on Vigur. If eider ducks and wildlife interest you, it is a very special place. Think there is an excursion to Vigur; don’t know if it is full on your trip.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

There appeared to be a group coming off a small boat at one point.  Were there tour companies on the pier offering other options?  We have only booked the included and given we don’t know for sure that Viking won’t reinstate the bubble I hesitate to book something independently in advance. 

Yes, there are vendors who offer the trip to Vigur.  I'll post later if you want name/info.  I'm thinking of booking it myself, if they aren't full because of Viking taking all their slots.  I waited too long to book Viking's and missed out.  Give me another hour or two.  Have to take someone somewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

 

Years ago I spent a fascinating day on Vigur. If eider ducks and wildlife interest you, it is a very special place. Think there is an excursion to Vigur; don’t know if it is full on your trip.

It’s sold out 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Yes, there are vendors who offer the trip to Vigur.  I'll post later if you want name/info.  I'm thinking of booking it myself, if they aren't full because of Viking taking all their slots.  I waited too long to book Viking's and missed out.  Give me another hour or two.  Have to take someone somewhere.

No rush.  I don’t want to book ahead in case the bubble is reinstated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

We didn’t like it.  It went to a nice waterfall,  but spent way too much time there.  The rest was pretty boring, driving through the two villages, with a stop to learn about fishing in Iceland.  And our guide was poor. ; a good guide can make even a boring excursion fun.  

Bummer. It was my #1 choice for this cruise but unannounced free for all booking made this SOLD OUT before I realized that excursions were being booked. Wasted $$$ on a PV cabin for early booking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Yes, there are vendors who offer the trip to Vigur.  I'll post later if you want name/info.  I'm thinking of booking it myself, if they aren't full because of Viking taking all their slots.  I waited too long to book Viking's and missed out.  Give me another hour or two.  Have to take someone somewhere.

We had also hoped to go on the Vigur tour but it remains sold out. We are on the 7/17 sailing. If someone is booking an independent tour we would love to be included if there is room. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Spectacular!  Lots of people will be so happy.  Warm?  All reports is that the temps were maybe 10 or 12 C.  That is in the 50's.  Warm because it was sunny?  Also showed no wind to speak of.  Just trying to gauge weather "reports" with actual experience. LOL on the port webcam I saw a family at that little red building on the far side from ship.  Family with kids had shorts and T shirts on kids.  Just figured they were Icelanders so...

That’s warm for Iceland. It’s not Puerto Rico warm.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Yes, there are vendors who offer the trip to Vigur.  I'll post later if you want name/info.  I'm thinking of booking it myself, if they aren't full because of Viking taking all their slots.  I waited too long to book Viking's and missed out.  Give me another hour or two.  Have to take someone somewhere.

 

Please post the name/info when you get a chance - very interested!!! Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So is the 'bubble' gone?  We can now book independent tours?  If so, most tours on viator only require 24 hour cancellation for money back.  I would suggest ( if someone can confirm that the bubble is gone) booking them now so they do not fill up like the ships tours did.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, jan_az said:

So is the 'bubble' gone?  We can now book independent tours?  If so, most tours on viator only require 24 hour cancellation for money back.  I would suggest ( if someone can confirm that the bubble is gone) booking them now so they do not fill up like the ships tours did.

It is gone for the current cruise.  Nothing official on future cruises

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, StuLaurie said:

That’s too bad, yes a good guide can really make all the difference.  Hopefully seeing Puffins made up for it!

 

 

2 hours ago, StuLaurie said:

That’s too bad, yes a good guide can really make all the difference.  Hopefully seeing Puffins made up for it!

 

We viewed this as one of our most memorable days!  Did you know that baby puffins are called pufflings?  I didn’t.  Not hatched yet.  All we saw today were eggs.  The next cruises will get to see the babies.  All the puffins are gone in August sometime, we were told.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

We didn’t like it.  It went to a nice waterfall,  but spent way too much time there.  The rest was pretty boring, driving through the two villages, with a stop to learn about fishing in Iceland.  And our guide was poor. ; a good guide can make even a boring excursion fun.  

Can you walk into town?  Is there anything worth seeing?  We are booked on included tour but am thinking this might be the day to just enjoy ship

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, philw1776 said:

Bummer. It was my #1 choice for this cruise but unannounced free for all booking made this SOLD OUT before I realized that excursions were being booked. Wasted $$$ on a PV cabin for early booking.

I'll trade my DV for your PV. 😜

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, bardstowntraveller said:

Can you walk into town?  Is there anything worth seeing?  We are booked on included tour but am thinking this might be the day to just enjoy ship

Well, you are at a dock area, which is just commercial.  The town doesn’t have much to offer,  we just drove through.  The included tour does take you to a nice waterfall.  I had thought about having an on-ship afternoon, and sort of wish I had!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will try and give some perspective from first time cruisers on Viking (longtime Celebrity, in suites) as we are on  this cruise and next week. 

Our first impressions of the ship was how beautiful and homey it seems (no wonder they say "Welcome Home" )  so many areas to relax, read and enjoy the views.  The staff from the Captain to the people cleaning (constantly!) are genuinely grateful to have you on board and to be back at work. The kindness overflowed and was sincerely given.  What impressed us the most was how everyone pitched in, heads of restaurants cleared tables, senior staff gave mini tours and answered questions. The Hotel Manager helped us as there were several in line for Guest Services, he lent us his charger for the tracer and showed us how to use it and said to return it when it was convenient. 

I could go on and on about the AMAZING food, but as the Executive Chef stopped to talk to us, spoke about the things we should try over the next days, we knew we would be in for some wonderful meals.  

So rest assured New Viking cruisers, hopefully you will be as impressed as we are! Even though it is the first cruise back for this crew, you would hardly know it, most everything has gone smoothly. Also the other passengers are very nice, helpful when we have had a question and easy going. 

If you have any questions, ask away, long day tomorrow, but will try and get to them. 

As of today, there is no question, there are 100% positives, yet to find a negative to sailing Viking!

  • Like 21
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Seaharvest said:

We had also hoped to go on the Vigur tour but it remains sold out. We are on the 7/17 sailing. If someone is booking an independent tour we would love to be included if there is room. 

We wanted to go to Vigur Island as well. We're on the 7/20 sailing. If anyone is doing a privat tour, lmk. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let me just say this about Vigur Island.  When we got back there was a report card to,fill out about the excursion.  They asked would you recommend to another.  We remarked “overwhelming,”. So maybe they will add more.  I think the problem is not the ferry boat, but the fact that the island only has 10 inhabitants, one of whom, a young mother of a four year old, is the only tour guide. I think a tour every two hours 3-4 times a day is all she can handle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Bejay219 said:

Will try and give some perspective from first time cruisers on Viking (longtime Celebrity, in suites) as we are on  this cruise and next week. 

Our first impressions of the ship was how beautiful and homey it seems (no wonder they say "Welcome Home" )  so many areas to relax, read and enjoy the views.  The staff from the Captain to the people cleaning (constantly!) are genuinely grateful to have you on board and to be back at work. The kindness overflowed and was sincerely given.  What impressed us the most was how everyone pitched in, heads of restaurants cleared tables, senior staff gave mini tours and answered questions. The Hotel Manager helped us as there were several in line for Guest Services, he lent us his charger for the tracer and showed us how to use it and said to return it when it was convenient. 

I could go on and on about the AMAZING food, but as the Executive Chef stopped to talk to us, spoke about the things we should try over the next days, we knew we would be in for some wonderful meals.  

So rest assured New Viking cruisers, hopefully you will be as impressed as we are! Even though it is the first cruise back for this crew, you would hardly know it, most everything has gone smoothly. Also the other passengers are very nice, helpful when we have had a question and easy going. 

If you have any questions, ask away, long day tomorrow, but will try and get to them. 

As of today, there is no question, there are 100% positives, yet to find a negative to sailing Viking!

Thanks for your impressions.  I too am a Celebrity/Royal Caribbean Suite/Aqua cruiser and thus accustomed to great service.  I have friends who have sailed Viking River and raved about their cruises.

A little concerned that excursions are reported to be sold out as I can only do mild rated thus will most likely have limited opportunity as walking/standing can be an issue.  I do quite well riding the bus/van and looking out the window.  I saw where some of the "included" tours were walking tours. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Bejay219 said:

Will try and give some perspective from first time cruisers on Viking (longtime Celebrity, in suites) as we are on  this cruise and next week. 

Our first impressions of the ship was how beautiful and homey it seems (no wonder they say "Welcome Home" )  so many areas to relax, read and enjoy the views.  The staff from the Captain to the people cleaning (constantly!) are genuinely grateful to have you on board and to be back at work. The kindness overflowed and was sincerely given.  What impressed us the most was how everyone pitched in, heads of restaurants cleared tables, senior staff gave mini tours and answered questions. The Hotel Manager helped us as there were several in line for Guest Services, he lent us his charger for the tracer and showed us how to use it and said to return it when it was convenient. 

I could go on and on about the AMAZING food, but as the Executive Chef stopped to talk to us, spoke about the things we should try over the next days, we knew we would be in for some wonderful meals.  

So rest assured New Viking cruisers, hopefully you will be as impressed as we are! Even though it is the first cruise back for this crew, you would hardly know it, most everything has gone smoothly. Also the other passengers are very nice, helpful when we have had a question and easy going. 

If you have any questions, ask away, long day tomorrow, but will try and get to them. 

As of today, there is no question, there are 100% positives, yet to find a negative to sailing Viking!

I am so thankful you posted this. As a past Viking cruiser I am pleased to hear they are not disappointing you. What you describe is the Viking I know. I am so glad you are having a good experience. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Saw this on the site that cannot be named. Thought it might be worthwhile to know for those who have signed up for this excursion. 
 

A427AAA8-8185-4AD4-87CB-C5C6EF3EA669.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For those of you who are worried  that this will not be the Viking experience that you know and love, worry no more.  Do you have to wear a mask on occasion, yes, are there mask police around, no.  When you are sitting in the theatre, Explorer’s Lounge , around the pool, in the Living Room , most people remove their mask.  I have seen mask wearing the most in the hallways , on the tour bus and off the bus. However, that seems to be less each day. This has been my experience ; perhaps others have experienced something different.  

Tonight we had our first production show and it felt as if the last 15 months had never happened.  There is this general feeling of happiness amongst the passengers and crew. Are there minor annoyances due to some  Covid procedures ( like the whole spit test thing) , yes, but the good stuff outweighs the annoying stuff. Pack your bags and be prepared to do the happy dance ! 

  • Like 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, StuLaurie said:

How did you think the included tour was?  I read some people did not like it. 

We liked it because we had a good guide. I think that makes all the difference for most tours. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Bejay219 said:

Will try and give some perspective from first time cruisers on Viking (longtime Celebrity, in suites) as we are on  this cruise and next week. 

Jumping in head first!

 

I think people are very interested in details about the shore excursions. Anything you can think to mention about them. Also lots of people want to see all the menus. I'm wondering if taxis are available in any of the ports when you walk off the ship.

 

Lastly I'm wondering how you feel "social distancing" in terms of interacting with other passengers. Are tables and chairs spaced far apart? At the restaurants and lounges, does it feel like a normal cruise, easy to chat with others? Or are people keeping more to themselves? Did anyone set a 15 minute time limit to conversation? 8-)

 

Thank you!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, vslparis said:

We liked it because we had a good guide. I think that makes all the difference for most tours. 

Were the sights particularly interesting, or was it mostly just the good guide?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...