Jump to content
  • Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips
,

LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021


Peregrina651
 Share

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, bardstowntraveller said:

Would appreciate feedback on Voks baths tour

SPECTACULAR drive up the mountain with amazing view of the ship in the valley, then winded our way down to the valley.  Viking rented the entire place for us so it never felt crowded! We had 2 buses, spaced nicely apart, beautiful facility, clean private showers, large dressing rooms with lockers that lock.. It was so cool as there were 3 pools different temperatures, two of which were designed as infinity pools to look like it was part of the lake.  They had stairs like in a pool that you could ease yourself into the lake or just jump right in!  (I chose to lower in quickly, and dunk under!) 

They had a swim up type bar with drinks for purchase. Also a sauna room outside then you go out to cold rain water shower.  These are Nordic traditions and we thought it was fun! Tea and water when your done. 

But the drive.... Beautiful, lots of snow still high up, with too many waterfalls to count. A lovely relaxing morning with great company! 

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Bejay219 said:

SPECTACULAR drive up the mountain with amazing view of the ship in the valley, then winded our way down to the valley.  Viking rented the entire place for us so it never felt crowded! We had 2 buses, spaced nicely apart, beautiful facility, clean private showers, large dressing rooms with lockers that lock.. It was so cool as there were 3 pools different temperatures, two of which were designed as infinity pools to look like it was part of the lake.  They had stairs like in a pool that you could ease yourself into the lake or just jump right in!  (I chose to lower in quickly, and dunk under!) 

They had a swim up type bar with drinks for purchase. Also a sauna room outside then you go out to cold rain water shower.  These are Nordic traditions and we thought it was fun! Tea and water when your done. 

But the drive.... Beautiful, lots of snow still high up, with too many waterfalls to count. A lovely relaxing morning with great company! 

Thank you so much for the description. We are signed up on the 7/17 sailing and can’t wait.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bejay219 said:

We have had midges on The Golden Circle, a few on Vigor Island, some on National Treasures (but rest assured if it hadn't been windy, we would have been covered) and a few at Vok Baths (again had a breeze). 

I agree hate them also! 

Thanks, will be prepared.  How was Vok Baths.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did the lake water have high mineral content? It would be nice to know if we should be bringing our usual swimsuits or old ones that we won't worry about picking up the sulfur smell. 

How long do you have at the actual Vok Baths v. travel time to the Baths?

Thanks for the info.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bejay219 said:

SPECTACULAR drive up the mountain with amazing view of the ship in the valley, then winded our way down to the valley.  Viking rented the entire place for us so it never felt crowded! We had 2 buses, spaced nicely apart, beautiful facility, clean private showers, large dressing rooms with lockers that lock.. It was so cool as there were 3 pools different temperatures, two of which were designed as infinity pools to look like it was part of the lake.  They had stairs like in a pool that you could ease yourself into the lake or just jump right in!  (I chose to lower in quickly, and dunk under!) 

They had a swim up type bar with drinks for purchase. Also a sauna room outside then you go out to cold rain water shower.  These are Nordic traditions and we thought it was fun! Tea and water when your done. 

But the drive.... Beautiful, lots of snow still high up, with too many waterfalls to count. A lovely relaxing morning with great company! 

Thank you.  Will look forward to this one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, valee said:

Did the lake water have high mineral content? It would be nice to know if we should be bringing our usual swimsuits or old ones that we won't worry about picking up the sulfur smell. 

How long do you have at the actual Vok Baths v. travel time to the Baths?

Thanks for the info.

 

Google Maps shows the driving time at a half hour.  Excursion is 4 hours so figure less then 3 at the Baths.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, gramfrog said:

Midges-- did the Icelanders say how long they last in the summer?  Should we plan on bringing lavender and/or tea tree oil as a natural repellant, or will they be gone soon?  thanks.

SIRI says Florida Sand Fleas are Midges.  Know them well.  Are the Icelandic Midges at every port stop?  Will Deep Woods spray help keep them off you?  We used it when hunting in GA and FL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

SIRI says Florida Sand Fleas are Midges.  Know them well.  Are the Icelandic Midges at every port stop?  Will Deep Woods spray help keep them off you?  We used it when hunting in GA and FL.

Any mosquito repellent will work on midges!  Be sure to rub on hands and then through your hair and back of your neck... .  I just try to be natural biologic and kind to my skin; that's why lavender and tea tree oil; I suppose oils from  natural citronella plant would work too....  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all- my wife and I are on the current sailing in Iceland also.  Our first Viking Ocean.  We are in an Explorers Suite (3094).   Best cruise line ever!   We have never been treated so well.  The ship is gorgeous.  The food in Manfredi’s is our favorite.  The ship is only half full, so the staff and crew are everywhere taking care of us.   The wine list is exhaustive.  The shows are so fun!  And God has blessed us with great weather.    Happy to answer any questions.   

 

 

 

 

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, valee said:

Did the lake water have high mineral content? It would be nice to know if we should be bringing our usual swimsuits or old ones that we won't worry about picking up the sulfur smell. 

How long do you have at the actual Vok Baths v. travel time to the Baths?

Thanks for the info.

 

No high mineral count.... Water is extremely clear, as a matter of fact they are pretty proud that their water is certified as drinkable!  No sulfer smell, just warm soft water unless you jump 8n the lake... Clear COLD water!  45 minutes to the baths... About 2 hours @the baths. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Snit13 said:

SIRI says Florida Sand Fleas are Midges.  Know them well.  Are the Icelandic Midges at every port stop?  Will Deep Woods spray help keep them off you?  We used it when hunting in GA and FL.

Deet, nets (very cheap on Amazon) usual cover up and hope for wind! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Bejay219 said:

No high mineral count.... Water is extremely clear, as a matter of fact they are pretty proud that their water is certified as drinkable!  No sulfer smell, just warm soft water unless you jump 8n the lake... Clear COLD water!  45 minutes to the baths... About 2 hours @the baths. 

 

Opps... That is not counting loading/unloading bus and a great stop at the top of the pass! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bejay219 said:

Opps... That is not counting loading/unloading bus and a great stop at the top of the pass! 

We drove through the pass a week ago when we spent the night at the Hotel Aldan in Seydisfjordur. Spectacular is right! Several feet of snow in places near the road. Plus, the temp dropped to 33 degrees with snow flurries. I almost wish I had brought my skis!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After you've eaten dinner and relaxed a little, I'm hoping someone can comment/review the Skalenes Nature & Heritage shorex....  Thanks to all for the amazing updates so far!  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, MarkCruises said:

Hi all- my wife and I are on the current sailing in Iceland also.  Our first Viking Ocean.  We are in an Explorers Suite (3094).   Best cruise line ever!   We have never been treated so well.  The ship is gorgeous.  The food in Manfredi’s is our favorite.  The ship is only half full, so the staff and crew are everywhere taking care of us.   The wine list is exhaustive.  The shows are so fun!  And God has blessed us with great weather.    Happy to answer any questions.   

 

 

 

 

I'm curious how long (timewise) the tender ride is in Djupivogur and Heimaey.  And it's been a while, so I forget how Viking does tendering. For getting TO the town, do you know if you need to get a tender ticket, or just join a line to get on a tender, or what?  Does Viking make you wait until excursions have gone off, or can you ease into a tender boat if there's room?  

 

Thanks for answering questions.  And if you can't answer mine, that's not a big deal.  I'll work with whatever I'm handed!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Seaharvest said:

Thank you so much for the description. We are signed up on the 7/17 sailing and can’t wait.

Seaharvest.  We also are signed up.  At least we will meet then.  What other earlier excursions are you on?  Dynjandi Waterfall any chance?  Looked up your MI town, know the area.  Fond childhood memories of vacations with parents and then as a young adult with friends in Traverse City.  We were born and raised in Chicago - there 35 years before venturing afar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I'm curious how long (timewise) the tender ride is in Djupivogur and Heimaey.  And it's been a while, so I forget how Viking does tendering. For getting TO the town, do you know if you need to get a tender ticket, or just join a line to get on a tender, or what?  Does Viking make you wait until excursions have gone off, or can you ease into a tender boat if there's room?  

 

Thanks for answering questions.  And if you can't answer mine, that's not a big deal.  I'll work with whatever I'm handed!

No tender tickets.  Our experience is that Viking excursions have tender priority over people who just want to go into town and wander around.  Just ask what the procedure is if you are not on a Viking excursion.  You will be accommodated as space allows.  However if you have a private excursion scheduled, see Guest Services and let them know a day or more ahead of time.  The Cruise Director or Excursion Manager will be sure to get you on a tender so you don't miss your tour.  They have Always come through for us - even with a group of 20.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Bejay219 said:

SPECTACULAR drive up the mountain with amazing view of the ship in the valley, then winded our way down to the valley.  Viking rented the entire place for us so it never felt crowded! We had 2 buses, spaced nicely apart, beautiful facility, clean private showers, large dressing rooms with lockers that lock.. It was so cool as there were 3 pools different temperatures, two of which were designed as infinity pools to look like it was part of the lake.  They had stairs like in a pool that you could ease yourself into the lake or just jump right in!  (I chose to lower in quickly, and dunk under!) 

They had a swim up type bar with drinks for purchase. Also a sauna room outside then you go out to cold rain water shower.  These are Nordic traditions and we thought it was fun! Tea and water when your done. 

But the drive.... Beautiful, lots of snow still high up, with too many waterfalls to count. A lovely relaxing morning with great company! 

How do you pay for drinks at swim up bar?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Seaharvest.  We also are signed up.  At least we will meet then.  What other earlier excursions are you on?  Dynjandi Waterfall any chance?  Looked up your MI town, know the area.  Fond childhood memories of vacations with parents and then as a young adult with friends in Traverse City.  We were born and raised in Chicago - there 35 years before venturing afar.

Tatyana let me respond to this in our roll call just in case others want to join in and make some plans to meet.  I will go there now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance - Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com - November 2022
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2022
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...