LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

7 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

OKAY!!! 

FIRST LOGISTICS QUESTION FOR YOU ALL -- and for the folks arriving on June 26

I want to hit an ATM in the Arrivals Hall when we land. Will I be able to?

TIA

There are several ATMs in the arrival hall. You really don’t need any cash money, though — just about every business accepts Visa and/or MC. (I withdrew about $130 in krona upon arrival 8 days ago, and I still have $15 left.)

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, GVHarrier said:

Us too! This is what the Hotel told us: 

Early check-in can only be guaranteed, if you book the full prior night.

We can always store your luggage free of charge until the check-in time.

I really don't want to pay an extra night's rate for a few hours. We would love to be able to just drop our bags and go until we're ready to drop for the day. I would be okay with walking around outside, doing the Sculpture Shore walk, general sightseeing, people watching or window shopping, if they permitted it and I would be fine with doing it with our KN95 masks.

I'm hoping the weather is as good as this forecast....and we can get out and enjoy most of our first day!

forecast.jpg

Reykjavik was colder than this (high 30s) when we arrived last Monday. Otherwise, the temperature range in your chart seems spot on. Expect a daily high of about 50-54 nd a low of about 40-44. The wild card will be the wind — if it’s blowing hard, it can make conditions brutal. 

20 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

And related to that, will we have time to open our luggage and pull out and on sweaters and raincoats before going outside to get tested.  Or is it a mass, herded exit?  

Do not pack in checked luggage anything that is not easily replaced, done without, or what you will need when leaving the airport.  

Just now, Travel2Learn said:

Do not pack in checked luggage anything that is not easily replaced, done without, or what you will need when leaving the airport.  

No worries.  We are having ours shipped with Luggage forward.  Our carryons contain all we need at the airport.

29 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

And related to that, will we have time to open our luggage and pull out and on sweaters and raincoats before going outside to get tested.  Or is it a mass, herded exit?  

Iceland doesn’t have much in the way of herds 😉 . But yes, you’ll have time to put on warm clothing to go outside 🙂 

• Like 1

Thanks to you first Iceland adventurers for posting!  Such good advice and how fun for us to be able to go through the revolving door on your push!  We are 18 days from our departure!  Trying to figure out what cool/cold weather gear will be most useful.....I'd always rather be too warm than too cold!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Unless your arrival at Keflavik is far busier and more chaotic than ours was, you should have ample time to access your luggage before getting tested. That said, I advise bringing a windbreaker or rain jacket with you on the plane rather than in your luggage. Why? Because you will likely have to get off the plane and onto the tarmac via a rollable passenger staircase rather than through the usual climate-controlled chute we all know so well. The ensuing walk to the terminal can be painfully cold if you don’t have a jacket. (I’ve flown with Icelandair several times into or through Reykjavik — each time, I’ve had to endure that cold walk.)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

Let us know how that goes and if there is an email option for receiving results. 

Got my barcode and here is what it says about how you receive the results.-

Negative test results will be communicated by a notification in the Rakning C-19 app or by a text message to the phone number you provided in the registration form if you do not wish to download the app. 

I will try and remember to ask them about the email thing when we get tested.  You could download the app and would get it that way if you are someplace that gives you Wi-Fi .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vslparis said:

Got my barcode and here is what it says about how you receive the results.-

Negative test results will be communicated by a notification in the Rakning C-19 app or by a text message to the phone number you provided in the registration form if you do not wish to download the app. 

I will try and remember to ask them about the email thing when we get tested.  You could download the app and would get it that way if you are someplace that gives you Wi-Fi .

Thanks, we have downloaded, but not activated the app.  I’ll activate it before we go.

12 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

you will likely have to get off the plane and onto the tarmac via a rollable passenger staircase rather than through the usual climate-controlled chute we all know so well.

Oh my!  So glad you mentioned that!!!  I guess we will all be pulling our bags down and rummaging through them an hour before landing.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DaveSJ711 said:

There are several ATMs in the arrival hall. You really don’t need any cash money, though — just about every business accepts Visa and/or MC. (I withdrew about $130 in krona upon arrival 8 days ago, and I still have $15 left.)

Since we prefer to tip in local currency on the tours, our plan is to it up  an ATM.

I know the local custom is not to tip but Viking has yet to make it clear if we should be tipping or not. Maybe this is something that the June 26 gang can check up on.

Edited by Peregrina651

1 hour ago, GVHarrier said:

I just checked the rules and this is what it says so I'm wondering how a short walk is defined. I regularly walk 5 miles. So anything up to that would be a normal short walk, wouldn't it?

image.png.5bc4ad3ae448ff339173b96eb0084fe5.png

Our hotel said that we can walk around in non crowded areas so we intend to do that.  We are taking the FlyBus from the airport in an effort to kill as much time as possible ! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GVHarrier said:

I plan to do the same so should be able to let you know. I'd also like to swing by the Duty-Free. I watched a YouTube travel video by a young couple who travelled on their own to Iceland in May. They didn't mention the ATM but they did say they stopped at the Duty Free. They then picked up a rental vehicle and went to their hotel for a nap. They had a message of their negative test results when they woke.

The duty free is a good place to pick up wine etc. to bring onto the ship. Alcohol is very expensive in Iceland. The only other place to buy alcohol (other than bars and restaurants) is the government operated liquor stores which are few and far between in the countryside outside of Reykjavik.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TERRIER1 said:

The duty free is a good place to pick up wine etc. to bring onto the ship. Alcohol is very expensive in Iceland. The only other place to buy alcohol (other than bars and restaurants) is the government operated liquor stores which are few and far between in the countryside outside of Reykjavik.

We plan to pick some up at Duty Free in Newark ; although I need to check about brining it into Iceland.  

• Like 1

We are first time Viking cruisers and will be doing a B2B the first 2 cruises (June 26th and July 3rd. I will try and pop in and give a "newbie" perspective and also how things change from the first week to the second.  No promises... I might be overwhelmed!  We are long time Celebrity guests and 1 cruise on Azamara. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Bejay219 said:

We are first time Viking cruisers and will be doing a B2B the first 2 cruises (June 26th and July 3rd. I will try and pop in and give a "newbie" perspective and also how things change from the first week to the second.  No promises... I might be overwhelmed!  We are long time Celebrity guests and 1 cruise on Azamara. 

This is our first Viking cruise too. Would love your perspective on how it compares to Celebrity

• Like 1

Hi all - we (Mark and Susan from Atlanta) are on the June 26 cruise.   It’s our first Viking Ocean cruise - we’ve done lots of the large cruise lines, Windsurf on the Med and one Viking River cruise.  Looking forward to Iceland, this nice ship and meeting new people.    We’re using Viking Air, so we don’t get there till early morning June 26.  

• Like 1

I want to thank you all for flooding my inbox with "likes" but, I can't take all the credit since all I did was make the first post.

I was not the first person to mention a live thread. That honor goes to @SantaFe1 and she deserves kudos. So please, go to Post #2 and shower her with "likes" and "thanks" as well. 

• Like 3

OK.  Good luck folks.  But for the sake of those of us who hope to go to Iceland later this year, please help keep Iceland and cruises safe and open by strictly following the rules being made by Viking and Iceland.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

This. We ended up with way too much cash after our 4-day stay. We simply never used it. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

I want to thank you all for flooding my inbox with "likes" but, I can't take all the credit since all I did was make the first post.

I was not the first person to mention a live thread. That honor goes to @SantaFe1 and she deserves kudos. So please, go to Post #2 and shower her with "likes" and "thanks" as well. 

No need to thank me,  I have gotten more than I have given.  God’s speed  to all of us.  Fair winds  and following seas!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, vslparis said:

We plan to pick some up at Duty Free in Newark ; although I need to check about brining it into Iceland.  

I wouldn’t risk getting busted in Iceland. You will probably have to declare it and I’m sure there are strict limits. I note however that a poster here says if you buy in duty free at KEF on the way in you are not allowed to consume it in Iceland! So damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Good luck!

8 hours ago, Twitchly said:

This. We ended up with way too much cash after our 4-day stay. We simply never used it. 

But again need it only for tipping guides/bus drivers?