Jump to content

LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021


Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

At 8:30 am Eastern time I watched a tender approach the dock, then it panned to the left where I could see buses waiting, then to the right again zooming in and I saw the tender land, and further to the right I saw the ship at anchor and another tender arriving.  How cool is that!!!

Yes, and at midnight EST (4 AM Iceland time) there was a big white coach parked on the side of the road by the harbor.  They were ready for Viking cruisers, or at least the coach was! I suppose the driver walked from the town this morning to board it.

 

Such a beautiful place.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

We loved this trip. The vehicle wasn’t difficult to get into as some have asked about. You do Ford three rivers, which was fun. The center is beautiful. It has a beautifully built bird watching platform about a 1/4 mile walk out. We saw a puffin basking in the sun. Alaska Lupine everywhere. Just beautiful!

Do you get time to hike around the property, or is it mostly just hanging around and bird watching? It looks beautiful, but I'd feel compelled to explore the area. I'm not much of a birdwatcher. 8(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Yes, and at midnight EST (4 AM Iceland time) there was a big white coach parked on the side of the road by the harbor.  They were ready for Viking cruisers, or at least the coach was! I suppose the driver walked from the town this morning to board it.

 

Such a beautiful place.  

I stayed in a hostel once across the bay from Djupivogur. The accommodations on board the Sky are definitely a cut above that hostel. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, HalenK said:

We will be on ship July 24. I too was worried about not being able to get off ship unless on Viking tour.

1.Has anyone gone off on their own?

2.Has anyone driven to the volcano? We come in early and have rented a car. I’m hoping to go see the volcano.

 I was disappointed that so many excursions are fully booked.

3.What options are you finding?

4.Do the port towns have coffee shops? Things to buy?

You may get off on your own.  Have not heard of anyone who went to see the active Volcano.  The port towns have coffee shops and other shops…..lots of chances to buy things.  Have tipped the guides using U.S. money.   Not sure they appreciate me not getting krona for them, but I didn’t want to use an ATM and get stuck with krona.   All shops and restaurants take all credit cards.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FoggyEthan said:

Do you get time to hike around the property, or is it mostly just hanging around and bird watching? It looks beautiful, but I'd feel compelled to explore the area. I'm not much of a birdwatcher. 8(

No hiking off trail as the birds are nesting and their nests are on the ground.  You can wander a little bit, but that’s all.  It is a beautiful place!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

No hiking off trail as the birds are nesting and their nests are on the ground.  You can wander a little bit, but that’s all.  It is a beautiful place!

I get that, but I'd thought that there were hiking trails along the property, but perhaps not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MarkCruises said:

You may get off on your own.  Have not heard of anyone who went to see the active Volcano.  The port towns have coffee shops and other shops…..lots of chances to buy things.  Have tipped the guides using U.S. money.   Not sure they appreciate me not getting krona for them, but I didn’t want to use an ATM and get stuck with krona.   All shops and restaurants take all credit cards.  

Have been fortunate to travel to many countries throughout the world and have yet to find one where they did not prefer my American $$.  They are then able to trade them in for their own currency when they choose and in some countries where money is manipulated they trade them when they can get a better deal.  We did convert $$ in Cuba and left what we didn't spend for the crew.  Any tips are better than no tips.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FoggyEthan said:

I get that, but I'd thought that there were hiking trails along the property, but perhaps not.

Sounds like the Galapagos Islands.  The birds have the right away and tourists must not go off the people trails.  We had to stop until birds passes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, twotexans123 said:

Anyone do the zodiac glacier tour?  I’d appreciate any feedback. Thanks 

From FB they enjoyed it quite a lot, but be warned that it is 5 hours in the bus round-trip, 45 minutes on the water, 45 minutes for lunch, plus 25 minutes to look at the other larger lagoon nearby.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

Have been fortunate to travel to many countries throughout the world and have yet to find one where they did not prefer my American $$.  They are then able to trade them in for their own currency when they choose and in some countries where money is manipulated they trade them when they can get a better deal.  We did convert $$ in Cuba and left what we didn't spend for the crew.  Any tips are better than no tips.

I think this is more true for poorer countries where the USD is more reliable than the local currency. I don't think it'll be true for Iceland. They have no magic way to do a currency conversion, and I doubt that the guides in Iceland get a lot of USD to convert, so they pay big fees.

 

Doing an ATM withdrawal is not that expensive for most of us and will be better for the locals. That said, the Icelanders don't expect tips for anything. One person even reported that the guide did not want the tip. Some cultures find tipping makes them feel like a servant class.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, FoggyEthan said:

I think this is more true for poorer countries where the USD is more reliable than the local currency. I don't think it'll be true for Iceland. They have no magic way to do a currency conversion, and I doubt that the guides in Iceland get a lot of USD to convert, so they pay big fees.

 

Doing an ATM withdrawal is not that expensive for most of us and will be better for the locals. That said, the Icelanders don't expect tips for anything. One person even reported that the guide did not want the tip. Some cultures find tipping makes them feel like a servant class.

In two weeks driving around Iceland, I saw a few places — usually local cafes — with tip jars on the counter. They were definitely in the minority, though.

 

Regarding your “warning” about the 5 hours RT  required for the zodiac tour: I’ve driven this road twice now on separate trips. The scenery is the best Iceland has to offer. Nobody will get bored or tired watching the landscape.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Shoalwater said:

Welllllll...You can't predict.  It is the sea, and she is unpredictable as this ill fated Viking cruise discovered.

Had the ship not lost power, due to a CORRECTED procedural error, it would have been a smooth ride.

IMHO, posting this is misleading, unnecessary, and a bit rude.

Tom

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Tom.in.nc said:

Had the ship not lost power, due to a CORRECTED procedural error, it would have been a smooth ride.

IMHO, posting this is misleading, unnecessary, and a bit rude.

Tom

I agree.  My thoughts were something like, "Talk about a Debbie-Downer".   

 

How many people on this thread will be on this exact ship?  I think we all know what happened to that voyage and what our risks are when we cruise but it's pretty awesome when we can focus on the positive, this past year has been stressful enough.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Shoalwater said:

Welllllll...You can't predict.  It is the sea, and she is unpredictable as this ill fated Viking cruise discovered.

 

I believe the poster asked the question if Viking ships are "Normally very, very smooth sailing".

 

Even if we weren't aware of this unfortunate incident, a photo of a ship with the anchor leading ahead with very heavy weight, is clearly not a normal situation. The motion experienced during this incident was purely as a result of being a "Dead Ship", most definitely not a normal situation.

 

Since a number of the pax from this traumatic experience are still regular posters on this Forum, I'll suggest this is a most inconsiderate response and it was uneccessary to upload the video, especially when it is not relevant to the question asked.

 

On "Edit" - Peregrina, my apologies, as I only realised this was the "Live" thread after I responded.

Edited by Heidi13
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Triptkr said:

I agree.  My thoughts were something like, "Talk about a Debbie-Downer".   

 

How many people on this thread will be on this exact ship?  I think we all know what happened to that voyage and what our risks are when we cruise but it's pretty awesome when we can focus on the positive, this past year has been stressful enough.

 

1 hour ago, Triptkr said:

I agree.  My thoughts were something like, "Talk about a Debbie-Downer".   

 

How many people on this thread will be on this exact ship?  I think we all know what happened to that voyage and what our risks are when we cruise but it's pretty awesome when we can focus on the positive, this past year has been stressful enough.

So someone worried about mal-de-mer asks if its smooth because they're concerned as they suffer from this, and someone kinda says not to worry, mostly all good, but things can happen.  Doesn't matter why the ship shut down, it did and it violently rolled.  Smooth seas is one of the most common and unanswerable questions asked across these boards.  Why is telling a factual thing a "Debbie Downer"?  A person really worried should understand and investigate ALL aspects like the person asking the question did.  Glossing over a fact because its "a downer" is in my mind a disservice.  Sorry, I don't agree with your point. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

C'mon folks, lighten up.  It's a slightly amusing coincidence that the question of "smooth sailing" comes up as we're about to board Viking Sky.  Shoalwater is not suggesting anyone should be fearful about this cruise.  And I bet no one was scared off!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, on a happier note— this afternoon, after getting back on board, we were so hot we went to the pool grill and ordered margaritas and chips!  What fun!!  Hadn’t planned to do that until our Panama Canal cruise in December.  I unpacked my parka, rain pants, rain hat, umbrella, stocking hat and mittens on June 26 and put them in the closet and never used them.  Can’t promise this for all, but we have had lovely weather, and I brought the wrong clothes!  But still, all in all, a wonderful cruise,  everyone bent over backwards to make sure we had a great time!  To all those going forward, ENJOY!

  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like our daily spit test will be used for the Covid test required by the US government for returning international travelers.  Once that is processed on Friday morning they will give us the paperwork that confirms a negative result which needs to be presented to the airline at departure on Saturday ( or within 3 days from Friday for those staying a day or two extra) 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

From FB they enjoyed it quite a lot, but be warned that it is 5 hours in the bus round-trip, 45 minutes on the water, 45 minutes for lunch, plus 25 minutes to look at the other larger lagoon nearby.

Ugh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, vslparis said:

Looks like our daily spit test will be used for the Covid test required by the US government for returning international travelers.  Once that is processed on Friday morning they will give us the paperwork that confirms a negative result which needs to be presented to the airline at departure on Saturday ( or within 3 days from Friday for those staying a day or two extra) 

 

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

Well, on a happier note— this afternoon, after getting back on board, we were so hot we went to the pool grill and ordered margaritas and chips!  What fun!!  Hadn’t planned to do that until our Panama Canal cruise in December.  I unpacked my parka, rain pants, rain hat, umbrella, stocking hat and mittens on June 26 and put them in the closet and never used them.  Can’t promise this for all, but we have had lovely weather, and I brought the wrong clothes!  But still, all in all, a wonderful cruise,  everyone bent over backwards to make sure we had a great time!  To all those going forward, ENJOY!

Thanks for all the informational postings from the first Sky sailing, all of us coming after really appreciate your time!!!

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Taste of the Nordic

 

The google drive images (THANK YOU FOR THOSE!!!) of the Daily for Day 7 lists a special event in the World Cafe called “A Taste of Nordics.” Could someone share details of what was offered? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FYI for those wondering if Iceland has really stopped the test on arrival.  We arrived this evening and no test was required for vaccinated travelers.   

 

We booked the Icelandair daytime flight out of Boston.  Departed at noon, landed around 8:40pm, we went thru everything and walked out of the terminal with our luggage at 9:20pm.  There was no crowd and no long lines!   We were at our hotel around 10pm. I think this flight is only 3 days a week and it means spending a few extra nights in Reykjavik but it was definitely worth it to us.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fantastic news!  I am glad to here that they are no longer testing on arrival!  I was also pleased to read that the last test we get before leaving the ship will be good to get us back into the US.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...