• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

1 hour ago, vslparis said:

Looks like our daily spit test will be used for the Covid test required by the US government for returning international travelers.  Once that is processed on Friday morning they will give us the paperwork that confirms a negative result which needs to be presented to the airline at departure on Saturday ( or within 3 days from Friday for those staying a day or two extra) 

How bad is the saliva test? A couple people complained, but not sure what the issue is. And is there any sense that they will stop--or reduce the frequency of them in coming weeks? 

7 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

I think this is more true for poorer countries where the USD is more reliable than the local currency. I don't think it'll be true for Iceland. They have no magic way to do a currency conversion, and I doubt that the guides in Iceland get a lot of USD to convert, so they pay big fees.

Doing an ATM withdrawal is not that expensive for most of us and will be better for the locals. That said, the Icelanders don't expect tips for anything. One person even reported that the guide did not want the tip. Some cultures find tipping makes them feel like a servant class.

Bravo, Ethan! Well put

• Like 3

On 6/28/2021 at 12:41 PM, SantaFe1 said:

Yes yes yes!  Puffins everywhere on the spectacular Vigur island excursion this warm sunny morning. 

Nice photo of the puffins. Just curious what camera or size lens you used for the photos of the puffins?

4 hours ago, mslaabs said:

Nice photo of the puffins. Just curious what camera or size lens you used for the photos of the puffins?

My iPhone.  My husband with all the camera equipment can’t upload his photos until we get home!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another gorgeous day for the end of the cruise.  By 9 am we were at anchor in Westman Islands.  Came out from breakfast in the World Cafe and noticed  the captain had opened the entire pool roof and put up the flags.  A beautiful sight!

3CCE8FED-6E83-423C-AA67-53ADC7586138.thumb.jpeg.96aca8cae20e1c0e5c4c4ce523a5ae4b.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dobbs36 said:

How bad is the saliva test? A couple people complained, but not sure what the issue is. And is there any sense that they will stop--or reduce the frequency of them in coming weeks? 

Doing the test is more a minor annoyance than anything else.  Although never a skill I thought I would acquire , It becomes easier after a bit of practice  😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

Another gorgeous day for the end of the cruise.  By 9 am we were at anchor in Westman Islands.  Came out from breakfast in the World Cafe and noticed  the captain had opened the entire pool roof and put up the flags.  A beautiful sight!

3CCE8FED-6E83-423C-AA67-53ADC7586138.thumb.jpeg.96aca8cae20e1c0e5c4c4ce523a5ae4b.jpeg

beautiful!  I'm about to post a picture of your tenders coming to the pier!  thanks for this picture.

• Like 1

Here's a webcam for Heimaey.  I watched a tender boat come from the right hand side of the picture (as you look at it) and come around and slide into a slot on left side of picture.  It was a long tender - - put patience on your packing list, future cruisers!  Some ocean ports/tender experiences are like this! Anyway, it's hard to see the little tender boat against the mountain,  but look for the orange boat on the right half of the picture near the blue trawler.  And look for the small orangish tent ashore which probably says "Viking Cruises" and has water for passengers.   I will post the link for the webcam in a minute. I'm enjoying looking at the cliffs, and wondering if the birds are there!  Another beautiful scene; another beautiful day. 

Santa Fe, thanks for the picture you posted - just wonderful.

heima tender and rock better.jpg

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
  • Like 3

1030718378_heimaetendercloser.thumb.jpg.946db4b81c516157ea615d634ebe1ca3.jpgHere's the link for the Heimaey webcam: Webcam Heimaey, Vestmannaeyjar (Westman Islands), Iceland - Online (balticlivecam.com) 

You may have to Command or Control Click it, or add an appropriate http stuff to the front of it.  You'll also have to click the arrow to make it play - and also put up with and skip the ads! 

Here's a screenshot with the tender boat a little closer, turning in  - left side of picture  (Can you tell I like webcams?)

And here's a screenshot from Marine Traffic showing where the Sky is anchored.  2056901568_heimtrackintoanchorlocation.jpg.05c12d7131209cfa28d1921232865643.jpg

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

You may have to Command or Control Click it, or add an appropriate http stuff to the front of it.  You'll also have to click the arrow to make it play - and also put up with and skip the ads! 

Yikes! How do I make that Ashley furniture banner disappear from the front of the WebCam shot? It’s right across the middle and I don’t see a little X anywhere on the banner to shut it down. Help!How do I make that Ashley furniture banner disappear from the front of the WebCam shot? It’s right across the middle and I don’t see a little X anywhere on the banner to shut it down. Help!

Nevermind! There’s a box on the lower right hand corner of the screen, on the right side of the camera symbol. That removes everything but the WebCam shot.

Edited by patchicago

I can’t wait to hear about the excursions today, particularly the Viking bus excursion. And, did anyone do something not Viking sponsored. I missed out on the RIB boat because of the booking fiasco and I have nothing else planned there. 

To everyone on the June 26th sailing - i am so sad it is ending soon for you.  Been following all week and it went too fast!  Thank you all who took the time to report on your experience.  I thank everyone in advance who answers our questions when you have time once you get home.

July 3rd sailing, you are in the spotlight soon.  We look forward to hearing about your airport experience and details of your ship embarkation. Safe travels everyone.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, shipster60 said:

I can’t wait to hear about the excursions today, particularly the Viking bus excursion. And, did anyone do something not Viking sponsored. I missed out on the RIB boat because of the booking fiasco and I have nothing else planned there. 

Yes, I want to hear about excursions too - RIB plus both of the 2 included excursions, plus if there's anything much within walking distance of the tender pier in case I have extra time after my excursion.

Not sure if they're running other RIB tours during days cruise ships are in port, but you can check ribsafari.is to see if they have something that would work for you if you can't get on an excursion you like.  Of course, they may require payment up front with no refunds, or only have something too late to be of help on a cruise date or something else to upset things later on.  But I thought I'd at least mention it. And this company does regular boat tours around the island:Boat Tours in Westman Islands for puffins and elephant rock (islandboattours.is)   Make sure whatever you do, you have enough time to have a little cushion at the end in case of issues, and make sure you leave enough time to get on last tender in Heimaey.  Good luck  The way I see it, though, is that Heimaey is the last port, so at least you'll have a lot of time to check with the Viking excursion folks to see if people have canceled.  Some usually do.  

22 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Yes, I want to hear about excursions too - RIB plus both of the 2 included excursions, plus if there's anything much within walking distance of the tender pier in case I have extra time after my excursion.

Not sure if they're running other RIB tours during days cruise ships are in port, but you can check ribsafari.is to see if they have something that would work for you if you can't get on an excursion you like.  Of course, they may require payment up front with no refunds, or only have something too late to be of help on a cruise date or something else to upset things later on.  But I thought I'd at least mention it. And this company does regular boat tours around the island:Boat Tours in Westman Islands for puffins and elephant rock (islandboattours.is)   Make sure whatever you do, you have enough time to have a little cushion at the end in case of issues, and make sure you leave enough time to get on last tender in Heimaey.  Good luck  The way I see it, though, is that Heimaey is the last port, so at least you'll have a lot of time to check with the Viking excursion folks to see if people have canceled.  Some usually do.  

Thanks! I did check with them and it’s not available on the 19th. I emailed as to why and the reply was ”there’s a passenger ship in port that day and they’ve booked all our tours”.  However, it’s not even offered on our sailing so I’m confused because no other ship shows up on cruise mapper to be in port with us. Oh well, it will work out. They said there is room on RIBboat so that’s why I’d like to hear about it to see if I want to pursue a private booking. I will definitely check on board for cancellations. 

On 6/29/2021 at 11:26 AM, DaveSJ711 said:

We’re about to board our flight back to the US

DaveSJ711 or anyone... were you able to get a rapid test for your return flight to the US?  Where did you get your test and what was the cost?  We are returning a day after the Viking test expires for flight to US use.

10 minutes ago, minka34 said:

DaveSJ711 or anyone... were you able to get a rapid test for your return flight to the US?  Where did you get your test and what was the cost?  We are returning a day after the Viking test expires for flight to US use.

Go to visit.covid.is and register for a return test. It’s easy. Cost is 7000 isk or 50€. We booked one for the testing center in Reykjavik, not too far from the cruise port and got our results by email in four hours. Then just took a screen shot of the certificate and showed that when checking in for our return flight on Icelandair.

BTW, we got the full PCR test to be safe in case a rapid test (cheaper) was not acceptable.

Edited by LindaS272

21 minutes ago, shipster60 said:

Thanks! I did check with them and it’s not available on the 19th. I emailed as to why and the reply was ”there’s a passenger ship in port that day and they’ve booked all our tours”.  However, it’s not even offered on our sailing so I’m confused because no other ship shows up on cruise mapper to be in port with us. Oh well, it will work out. They said there is room on RIBboat so that’s why I’d like to hear about it to see if I want to pursue a private booking. I will definitely check on board for cancellations. 

Strange.  Maybe the vendor's boats were chartered by a large group on a yacht or something like that.  I looked, and for us (Jupiter, on a Thursday) the vendor is offering the regular boat ride around the island at 2:30 but all Thursdays in August are blocked/not available for the RIB - perhaps for Jupiter passengers!  I think they do the Beluga Whale trip, too, but I didn't look at the availability/timing. As for the RIB, I've never been one before, but I think it can be very fast at times and wet.  And I'm guessing puffin sightings will be minimal, so while fun, I'd prefer a bus tour or boat tour around the island. But everyone's different.  I actually don't mind Viking's included excursions, supplemented by some wandering around the port area.  Good luck.  Maybe the next group of cruisers can give us some info on excursions to add to the great info we've already received.  

55 minutes ago, DJVKN said:

It is a beautiful day at the Blue Lagoon. Blue skies, no wind. Who knew… another great day in Iceland. Tomorrow we board the ship.

C50F1FB3-9DE2-4533-AE92-25E3FF5297DF.jpeg

B5EF130F-F3A8-4C91-926B-4E3914C3B9B0.jpeg

They serve BEER at the Blue Lagoon????    Well that changes everything!  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1