LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

8 hours ago, esther e said:

I think I read that there were no wheelchairs at embarkation.  I have a rollator but would have problems trying to get up a ramp.  Is the ship docked at street level or am I going to have trouble?  Thanks 

The ramp is fairly steep at several stops including embarkation , the rest had at least some sort of slope and there are two tender ports ( at least when we went ) . Hopefully you have someone that can help you up and down. 

For going down 100 ft. in the ice tunnel, are there man-made steps or gradual descending?  Are there rails along the side for support?  I hate to spend $400 for not to be able to make to the bottom of the tunnel.  We have been to Iceland twice before.  We have seen most of the tours attractions except the ice tunnel and Vigur Island.  Hope to see those Puffins.   I have a little problem in walking.  I could walk for one hour in shopping mall or on side walks without a walker nor a cane for support.  Are the roads in the ice tunnel  and on Vigur Island hard to negotiate?  Any info will be appreciated.  See you all aboard.  

New (at least to me) Flavor of Ice Cream today at the World Cafe - Oatmeal Cookie.  I loved it. Hope it is starting a trend of using yesterday’s cookies to make ice cream. I think the caramel cookies would make a tasty flavor too. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

Is a rollator one of those walkers with wheels and a seat?

Mine 3 wheels and no seat.  I use it mostly for balance security and it makes walking much easier.  But pushing it up a ramp is another question.  I am surprised there are no wheelchairs and helpers available.

55 minutes ago, vslparis said:

The ramp is fairly steep at several stops including embarkation , the rest had at least some sort of slope and there are two tender ports ( at least when we went ) . Hopefully you have someone that can help you up and down. 

The steep ramp also had these little sort of speed bumps on it, every foot or so.  I think they were to give traction, but they would be hard for a wheeled device to navigate, I suspect.

10 hours ago, vslparis said:

No ceremony, but we did get a certificate in our cabin on the last day. This was on the first cruise ,

Lucky you!  We got nothing, and no notice from the captain that we would or did cross.  In fact we never heard a word from the man until the goodby party, where he appeared on stage for about 60 seconds!

27 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Just noticed that the Chef’ Table Menu for Monday is on the TV. It’s the Scandinavian one. 

Assume you mean Monday the19th.  Could you ask what the menu on the other days for the July 17-24 cruise?  Thanks!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, esther e said:

Mine 3 wheels and no seat.  I use it mostly for balance security and it makes walking much easier.  But pushing it up a ramp is another question.  I am surprised there are no wheelchairs and helpers available.

The ramp in Reykjavik was very steep. It was never 'flat' at any of our ports but Reykjavik was the steepest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcjyl said:

For going down 100 ft. in the ice tunnel, are there man-made steps or gradual descending?  Are there rails along the side for support?  I hate to spend $400 for not to be able to make to the bottom of the tunnel.  We have been to Iceland twice before.  We have seen most of the tours attractions except the ice tunnel and Vigur Island.  Hope to see those Puffins.   I have a little problem in walking.  I could walk for one hour in shopping mall or on side walks without a walker nor a cane for support.  Are the roads in the ice tunnel  and on Vigur Island hard to negotiate?  Any info will be appreciated.  See you all aboard.  

Cannot speak for the Ice Tunnel but we did the Vigur Island tour. It is a fairly good incline when getting off the boat onto the dock at the island. Once you walk off the dock there are stones used for the path. Not small crushed rocks but actual stones that vary in size and are loose that must be maneuvered. I don't think you could move a walker over these stone paths without lifting walker with every step. We asked not to stray off any of the paths as many  birds are nesting right next to the paths. Here is an example of the path.  

image.png

IMG_2538.JPG

22 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

If you are locked up at 11 it will be 11:30 at the earliest and you should be able to check in at the pier (took us 5 min) and go aboard. Rooms for us were already available when we arrived about noon. 

Be advised that they will not let you take your rollaboard with you. They have to go through screening and then get delivered to your room (for us by 1:30).  I was upset because that meant I had to tote my underseat bag rather than rolling it. #firstworldproblems

Well that is interesting. I had a rollaboard with another bag and I took both of them to the restaurant with me while we waited for our room. This was July 3.

1 hour ago, DJVKN said:

Cannot speak for the Ice Tunnel but we did the Vigur Island tour. It is a fairly good incline when getting off the boat onto the dock at the island. Once you walk off the dock there are stones used for the path. Not small crushed rocks but actual stones that vary in size and are loose that must be maneuvered. I don't think you could move a walker over these stone paths without lifting walker with every step. We asked not to stray off any of the paths as many  birds are nesting right next to the paths. Here is an example of the path.  

image.png

IMG_2538.JPG

And this is the ramp from the boat.  Great tour !!

1BB4B414-5E2A-4FC3-AB41-F7EF76D91F0F.thumb.jpeg.2bbe97c3a3c2067e9d296ff69d4a2bcd.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Just noticed that the Chef’ Table Menu for Monday is on the TV. It’s the Scandinavian one. 

Is this the one that has reindeer in one of the courses? We love that one.

• Like 1

I hope so as well. 

For the record, the Northern Lights can be seen while the sky is totally dark and, if Aurora is very bright, during the astronomical and nautical twilights.  Sept. 1 - 7 will have 1-2 hours of total darkness from around 12:30 am.   and 2 - 4 hours of nautical/astronomical twilights from around 11 pm. 

The Sun has been active lately.  If the current level of activity persists during our trip and the sky is clear we will most probably see the Northern Lights.

There is a phone app you can get called Aurora Pro that will let you know the chances over the following few days of seeing the Northern Lights at any given location.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Snit13 said:

I hope someone answers you as I too have been considering bringing my rollator.  Hopefully my physician can have me much better by August 30 so I don't have to worry.

Rollators: I think the port(s) of Seydisfjordur and/or Isafjordur may be difficult for people with rollators.  I thought I had a good picture of the ship in Isafjordur, taken from the port webcam, and it showed how steep the slope up to the ship was.  But I guess I must have deleted the picture. Maybe when Jupiter gets there next week, I can do another screenshot and post. 

I believe this picture taken from the webcam at Seydisfjordur port will give you an idea of what you might be dealing with at one or two ports. You can't see the metal stair ramp very well, but you probably CAN see that it's kind of steep.  But some itineraries may tender in Seydisfjordur if they come in on the same day as the Smyril ferry "Norrona".  Tendering isn't great because it often eats up time.  But in your case, it may be helpful, as Viking usually finds/arranges to tender to a level place. 1232362434_seydisfromwebcvspicfromtopofship.jpg.befef869be645657815c4ab66ca93301.jpg

7 hours ago, mcjyl said:

We were on the first sailing and did the ice tunnel .  It was amazing.  I’m a Florida girl.  When we got to the hut they gave us waterproof boot covers to go over our shoes/boots. We were then transported on the “ice bus” to the tunnel entrance.  We entered and walked down the tunnel on “mats” until we got to a small room with a bench where they gave us chain crampons to put on over our boots.  They were perfect . . . as once we walked out of the room we were walking on ice.  I’m a klutz and I never slipped or slid. I wasn’t the fastest,  but I wasn’t the slowest. We never went up.  It was basically flat.  Bring a walking stick, if you feel the need. One suggestion, although the tunnel is lit, if I had it to do over I would use a head flashlight - I used my iPhone’s flashlight just because sometimes it’s darker than I was comfortable with.  I say go for it and enjoy! 

54588973-CB60-4190-BDE5-1A15D0FF026A.jpeg

84ED1D87-5D98-45A8-84FD-6B57DD31AE8C.jpeg

Edited by FLGators#1
  • Like 4