LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

2 hours ago, VI_Lounger said:

We flew through Minneapolis on way home but we were the first plane and only plane in customs  since we arrived early. Customs was not even open yet so we waited on board for 10 minutes.  So with being the only plane and having global entry, we were out quickly and our departing gate was close as well. We had just under 2 hours layover and had plenty of time for breakfast.  One hour is tight but hopefully you are also an early arrival through customs to help. 

Thanks for all the feedback. We have an hour to change planes on our way to Iceland and  2 1/2 hours on the way home so based on all your feedback I think I am good

Came aboard Viking Sky today for July 17 cruise. No commotion and everything is as expected. Once aboard lunch was available in the World Cafe. Staterooms were scheduled to be available at 2:00 pm but announcement came at 1:00 pm that they were available! Good job by crew on the turnaround. I believe that some of the senior staff has changed, but I could be wrong.

As previously mentioned a shuttle bus is running today and probably tomorrow as well. Sue is doing "Iceland through the Lens" and I have the "Golden Circle." Walked about four miles yesterday through "Old Reykjavik." Bought the best cinnamon rolls (four different flavors!) at "Braud and Co." (bread), and really good burgers at the "Lebowski Bar" - with White Russians of course!

Icelandair flight from IAD to KEF was without incident. About eight planes arrived at the same time and we were at a remote parking stand with our 767-300. Took about an hour and a half for Customs, Immigration, and checking Iceland Barcode. Sat for another half hour until Flybus filled all the seats! Then to BSI bus terminal to change to minibus. We were the only passengers for the Green Zone. Very nice driver that gave us a language lesson as well. Landed at 6:27 am and in hotel by 9:15 am. 

• Like 6

We are back in the US at JFK awaiting our flight back to RDU. For future travelers, be sure to leave plenty of time to deal with KEF. 

We were on the Delta 10:50 am flight. 

We started down the gangway at 7:30 am

Our driver picked us up at 7:45

We arrived at KEF at 8:10. 
The lines to check in/drop bag were crazy long. Luckily we had access to Sky Priority so our wait was only 10 min or so. 
From there we went through security, then a very short stop at duty free to buy gin, an equally short pit stop, then border control, then a long walk to the Delta gates. We got to our gate at 9:30 just as boarding was starting. 

Lessons learned-if you don’t have access to priority checkin, leave at least an extra half hour. 

Have fun!

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, esther e said:

How's the weather?  Do we still need lightweight down jackets?

Temp earlier when boarding was maybe 60 but sunny. Now at 7:00 pm it is overcast and 52 degrees. A light jacket would work for me but I live in Virginia at 1,800 ft. elevation.

5 minutes ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

Question on the contract tracing devices.  Are we required to wear them around our neck on the lanyard, or can they be clipped to a belt or jacket zipper instead?

I don’t think they have a clip but you can wear/carry them anywhere on your person. 

8 minutes ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

Question on the contract tracing devices.  Are we required to wear them around our neck on the lanyard, or can they be clipped to a belt or jacket zipper instead?

My device kept doing a series of flashing then stopping then flashing again. Sue's device didn't do anything. Checked with Guest Services and that is normal.

I would bring clothes for all weather. We have had very chilly and somewhat wet weather, but today the sun came out in the afternoon. Hoping for a sunny day in the 60s tomorrow, but not counting on it.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

We are back in the US at JFK awaiting our flight back to RDU. For future travelers, be sure to leave plenty of time to deal with KEF. 

We were on the Delta 10:50 am flight. 

We started down the gangway at 7:30 am

Our driver picked us up at 7:45

We arrived at KEF at 8:10. 
The lines to check in/drop bag were crazy long. Luckily we had access to Sky Priority so our wait was only 10 min or so. 
From there we went through security, then a very short stop at duty free to buy gin, an equally short pit stop, then border control, then a long walk to the Delta gates. We got to our gate at 9:30 just as boarding was starting. 

Lessons learned-if you don’t have access to priority checkin, leave at least an extra half hour. 

Have fun!

9 minutes ago, HalenK said:

Why did your flight start board 1 hr and 20 min before flight?

You’ll have to ask Delta that but it took almost the whole time to load the almost full flight. Like most international flights, boarding closes 10-15 minutes before the scheduled departure time. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

Came aboard Viking Sky today for July 17 cruise. No commotion and everything is as expected. Once aboard lunch was available in the World Cafe. Staterooms were scheduled to be available at 2:00 pm but announcement came at 1:00 pm that they were available! Good job by crew on the turnaround. I believe that some of the senior staff has changed, but I could be wrong.

As previously mentioned a shuttle bus is running today and probably tomorrow as well. Sue is doing "Iceland through the Lens" and I have the "Golden Circle." Walked about four miles yesterday through "Old Reykjavik." Bought the best cinnamon rolls (four different flavors!) at "Braud and Co." (bread), and really good burgers at the "Lebowski Bar" - with White Russians of course!

Icelandair flight from IAD to KEF was without incident. About eight planes arrived at the same time and we were at a remote parking stand with our 767-300. Took about an hour and a half for Customs, Immigration, and checking Iceland Barcode. Sat for another half hour until Flybus filled all the seats! Then to BSI bus terminal to change to minibus. We were the only passengers for the Green Zone. Very nice driver that gave us a language lesson as well. Landed at 6:27 am and in hotel by 9:15 am. 

I’m interested in hearing about Sue’s excursion Thru the Lens. I really want to do that but wasn’t willing to forego the Golden Circle. Cruising on the 27th.

For those of you asking about the tracking device, it just needs to accompany you wherever you are. You can put it in your purse, backpack, or other bag that you’re carrying. Look forward to meeting any of you who are on the Jupiter 07/20 sailing. We’ve been in Iceland for 4 days (our 4th time in conjunction with other cruises), and having a wonderful time! Iceland lifted its mask and social distancing restrictions last month (because its numbers of cases are very low), and we feel very safe here.

• Like 2

Anyone have an early evening flight home? Looking for suggestions for things or do (with luggage) between debarking and getting to airport mid afternoon. I have seen posts about transfers to Blue Lagoon. Anything other options?

28 minutes ago, Jaea said:

Anyone have an early evening flight home? Looking for suggestions for things or do (with luggage) between debarking and getting to airport mid afternoon. I have seen posts about transfers to Blue Lagoon. Anything other options?

I don’t know how this would work with luggage but we left the ship today and have two days in Reykjavik so your situation is a bit different from ours. We went to the Sky Lagoon today and it was fabulous and very close to the city. If you figure out a way to the airport a visit to Sky Lagoon would a great way to spend a few hours before going to the airport.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, faxoncat said:

For those of you asking about the tracking device, it just needs to accompany you wherever you are. You can put it in your purse, backpack, or other bag that you’re carrying. Look forward to meeting any of you who are on the Jupiter 07/20 sailing. We’ve been in Iceland for 4 days (our 4th time in conjunction with other cruises), and having a wonderful time! Iceland lifted its mask and social distancing restrictions last month (because its numbers of cases are very low), and we feel very safe here.

All packed and ready to join you aboard on the 20th!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, faxoncat said:

I think it’s because they reached herd immunity with most of their population vaccinated.

11 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

Oh I have a random question for those sailing these Back to the World cruises... is Viking still giving out those cute wool bags with the travel quotes? And if so what does yours say? 

No, they have discontinued those as well as the selection of a welcome back gift.  You are emailed your final documents which you have to print yourself. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

You’ll have to ask Delta that but it took almost the whole time to load the almost full flight. Like most international flights, boarding closes 10-15 minutes before the scheduled departure time. 

Also if people are doing their own transfers , you need to remember that most foreign airlines cut off international check in an hour before departure . 

• Like 2