Jump to content

LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, joepeggy said:

Anyone arrange their own transfer from the airport to the ship and return to airport?

There's plenty of discussion of that on the longer "Iceland's Natural Beauty General 2022" thread, though you may have to wade through a lot of it if the search function isn't very helpful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Question for anyone in the know....can't get a straight answer from Viking.   Does the Covid test have to be no more than 72 hours prior to first flight or second leg of travel?  We have a 5 hour lay over at JFK so that makes a difference for us.   

Next question.   Do we HAVE to use the VeriFLY app to register with Viking or can all of that be done when we get there?   My sister does not have a smart phone and cannot do any of that with her phone.

We don't live close enough together for me to do it for her.   Seems to me we should be able to do the embarkation process when we get there.   

This trip is long anticipated and much desired but all these rule changes are getting to be extremely confusing and no one seems to have the answers (ask three people....get three different answers).

Help please!!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Camden lady said:

Question for anyone in the know....can't get a straight answer from Viking.   Does the Covid test have to be no more than 72 hours prior to first flight or second leg of travel?  We have a 5 hour lay over at JFK so that makes a difference for us.   

Next question.   Do we HAVE to use the VeriFLY app to register with Viking or can all of that be done when we get there?   My sister does not have a smart phone and cannot do any of that with her phone.

We don't live close enough together for me to do it for her.   Seems to me we should be able to do the embarkation process when we get there.   

This trip is long anticipated and much desired but all these rule changes are getting to be extremely confusing and no one seems to have the answers (ask three people....get three different answers).

Help please!!!!

I share your frustration. One thing which Viking did come out on is our test must be PCR not the rapid test. See link below.

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-210721-RestartPreCruiseRequirement-Iceland-US-UK FINAL.pdf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jaea said:

Did you book the taxi in advance, call when you arrived in port or grabbed an open just hanging around?

We downloaded the Hreyfill app and just ordered it in the morning.  We weren't sure if there would be taxis waiting - one of the Viking staff said there would be the night before, but in the morning the staff said no, there were no taxis just waiting (like at FL ports) but said  that they could call one for us.  The app was easy.  This is the website.  https://www.hreyfill.is/en/

We used Grey line to the port from the airport and from our hotel to the airport.  Worked well and was about $110 for 2 of us round trip.  We used the taxi from the port to the bus station to get our rental car, as Grey Line only does airport transfers and tours.  We returned the car to the bus station the night before and walked back to the hotel for some sight seeing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Camden lady said:

Question for anyone in the know....can't get a straight answer from Viking.   Does the Covid test have to be no more than 72 hours prior to first flight or second leg of travel?  We have a 5 hour lay over at JFK so that makes a difference for us.   

Next question.   Do we HAVE to use the VeriFLY app to register with Viking or can all of that be done when we get there?   My sister does not have a smart phone and cannot do any of that with her phone.

We don't live close enough together for me to do it for her.   Seems to me we should be able to do the embarkation process when we get there.   

This trip is long anticipated and much desired but all these rule changes are getting to be extremely confusing and no one seems to have the answers (ask three people....get three different answers).

Help please!!!!

I don't know the answer to the VeriFLY question.  However, the info I received from Viking yesterday (email) says, "Viking is committed to ensuring that you will be able to travel safely to your destination and join your cruise without incident.  As travel requirements change frequently, we recommend you take a COVID-19 PCR (polymerase chain reaction, nasopharyngeal/nasal swab) test no more than 72 hours before boarding your flight to Iceland.

 

If a PCR test is not available, an antigen test will be accepted by Iceland."

 

I interpret that to mean no more than 72 hours before boarding the flight that arrives in Keflavik airport.  But perhaps Iceland hasn't gotten any more specific than that, so Viking can't really tell you more.

 

So I guess that doesn't help much - but I tried!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DAVE & PAT said:

I share your frustration. One thing which Viking did come out on is our test must be PCR not the rapid test. See link below.

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-210721-RestartPreCruiseRequirement-Iceland-US-UK FINAL.pdf

Thanks for that info.  I have found a place that will do the PCR test but I don't know when to set it up until I know which leg of my flight to use.  Plus the cost is $150.  Wish they would accept the antigen test as that is much cheaper and quicker.   Oh well...guess I will do the PCR just to be sure I can get on the cruise.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DAVE & PAT said:

I share your frustration. One thing which Viking did come out on is our test must be PCR not the rapid test. See link below.

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-210721-RestartPreCruiseRequirement-Iceland-US-UK FINAL.pdf

If you're arriving in Iceland July 27 (Tuesday) or later, you should get an update from Viking or your travel agent. It boils down to this now: Viking wants (I'm paraphrasing) PCR but if not available, antigen will be accepted by Iceland. 

 

They issued detailed instructions to those of us on the August 3 sailing. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I don't know the answer to the VeriFLY question.  However, the info I received from Viking yesterday (email) says, "Viking is committed to ensuring that you will be able to travel safely to your destination and join your cruise without incident.  As travel requirements change frequently, we recommend you take a COVID-19 PCR (polymerase chain reaction, nasopharyngeal/nasal swab) test no more than 72 hours before boarding your flight to Iceland.

 

If a PCR test is not available, an antigen test will be accepted by Iceland."

 

I interpret that to mean no more than 72 hours before boarding the flight that arrives in Keflavik airport.  But perhaps Iceland hasn't gotten any more specific than that, so Viking can't really tell you more.

 

So I guess that doesn't help much - but I tried!

Thanks, I appreciate any attempt to help answer these questions.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Camden lady said:

Thanks for that info.  I have found a place that will do the PCR test but I don't know when to set it up until I know which leg of my flight to use.  Plus the cost is $150.  Wish they would accept the antigen test as that is much cheaper and quicker.   Oh well...guess I will do the PCR just to be sure I can get on the cruise.  

 

Do you have a Walgreens, CVS or Quest Laboratory near you, or anywhere halfway close?  Where I live, all three provide free testing for most people.  (They bill insurance, and if not paid by them, the federal government.  Most people won't have to pay.)  Those 3 places vary in how long they take to process the test and open hours, but if they promise 1 to 2 days like they do where I live, they're a good choice.  And should they fail me and I have to scramble for an antigen test Monday, I've researched that just in case.

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Camden lady said:

Thanks, I appreciate any attempt to help answer these questions.   

Well, really if you think about it, there's always a possibility that some travelers will be delayed in getting to Iceland, especially now, since the airlines are trying to staff up after long periods of relative inactivity.  So I would hope that Iceland won't be calculating the exact number of hours between my test and when I boarded the plane that brought me to Iceland!  Good luck.  It's pretty crazy now but it will be worth it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, DAVE & PAT said:

Correction . Can be the antigen test.

Sorry for typo. VIKING will not accept antigen test. Airlines and Iceland will but not Viking.  See link above dated July 21.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Camden lady said:

Thanks for that info.  I have found a place that will do the PCR test but I don't know when to set it up until I know which leg of my flight to use.  Plus the cost is $150.  Wish they would accept the antigen test as that is much cheaper and quicker.   Oh well...guess I will do the PCR just to be sure I can get on the cruise.  

 

Other posts say it's the final leg to Iceland

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Do you have a Walgreens, CVS or Quest Laboratory near you, or anywhere halfway close?  Where I live, all three provide free testing for most people.  (They bill insurance, and if not paid by them, the federal government.  Most people won't have to pay.)  Those 3 places vary in how long they take to process the test and open hours, but if they promise 1 to 2 days like they do where I live, they're a good choice.  And should they fail me and I have to scramble for an antigen test Monday, I've researched that just in case.

Yes I have Walgreens and CVS but they can't promise the results of the PCR test in a three day time frame.   Have found a couple of places close (less than 10 miles) that will do the PCR with a 48 hour turn around and those are $150.   Guess I will go that route just to be on the safe side.  I would hate to go through all this and then be turned away because I had the wrong test.   

 

Is everyone using VeriFLY?   Don't know what I am going to do about my sister and her inability to do the app and I can't do it for her.   Surely Viking will have people to complete the embarkation process when we get there as not everyone (although almost everyone) has a smart phone to complete this process.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BarbRN said:

Varying opinions on which leg of the trip?

49879AF1-4207-4692-B4BE-F8D24B12A9F9.png

I got the same note from UA.  I am also interested to know if I can use At home antigen test via eMed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Camden lady said:

Yes I have Walgreens and CVS but they can't promise the results of the PCR test in a three day time frame.   Have found a couple of places close (less than 10 miles) that will do the PCR with a 48 hour turn around and those are $150.   Guess I will go that route just to be on the safe side.  I would hate to go through all this and then be turned away because I had the wrong test.   

 

Is everyone using VeriFLY?   Don't know what I am going to do about my sister and her inability to do the app and I can't do it for her.   Surely Viking will have people to complete the embarkation process when we get there as not everyone (although almost everyone) has a smart phone to complete this process.   

As I recall, VeriFly asks for a photo of the passenger and a photo of the vaccination card. Can your sister email those to you and you can enter them into VeriFly? It isn't difficult but it has to be done in advance.

 

We located a place that only does testing for travel, camps, sports, etc. (they do not do tests for people who may have been exposed to COVID) and they do rapid PCR tests. It is more expensive than antigen or regular PCR tests but the results are available within two hours. Our local pharmacies and urgent care won't do rapid antigen testing without a doctor's referral. I guess it is different throughout the US. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, VI_Lounger said:

We had an issue as my partner's CDC card had his name listed as Joe instead of Joseph and it was rejected by Verifly so no middle names like on passports, but had to be his formal first name.

My husband had exactly the same issue with the same Joe/Joseph name.  When we went to the Icelandair counter to check in stateside it was no problem and no problem in going through the various checkpoints once in Iceland and no problem boarding ship.  I think this is a common enough name and nickname that it's not an issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Camden lady said:

Don't know what I am going to do about my sister and her inability to do the app and I can't do it for her. 

Are you sure you can’t enter her information into your Verify account?  I added my wife’s information to my account.  Just need a picture of her vaccine card.  In any case, I’m pretty sure Viking is asking us to use  Verify to facilitate boarding process and would accept your card at boarding.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Steve NH said:

As I recall, VeriFly asks for a photo of the passenger and a photo of the vaccination card. Can your sister email those to you and you can enter them into VeriFly? It isn't difficult but it has to be done in advance.

 

We located a place that only does testing for travel, camps, sports, etc. (they do not do tests for people who may have been exposed to COVID) and they do rapid PCR tests. It is more expensive than antigen or regular PCR tests but the results are available within two hours. Our local pharmacies and urgent care won't do rapid antigen testing without a doctor's referral. I guess it is different throughout the US. 

Well, it is like this...my sister has no computer, no internet, no smart phone and no TV.  I know, she is living in the dark ages but that is the way she wants it.  So far, I have done everything regarding all of our cruises and she just writes a check for her portion.   She does have a cell phone but it is an ancient one that is just basic and she can't do anything but talk on it and most of time it is in her purse turned off.  She has a land line that I call her on when I talk to her.  So I am trying to figure out how to get all this stuff done for her but that portion, I can't figure out.  I can do her registrations with Viking and Iceland but as I will use my cell phone number for her.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Camden lady said:

Well, it is like this...my sister has no computer, no internet, no smart phone and no TV.  I know, she is living in the dark ages but that is the way she wants it.  So far, I have done everything regarding all of our cruises and she just writes a check for her portion.   She does have a cell phone but it is an ancient one that is just basic and she can't do anything but talk on it and most of time it is in her purse turned off.  She has a land line that I call her on when I talk to her.  So I am trying to figure out how to get all this stuff done for her but that portion, I can't figure out.  I can do her registrations with Viking and Iceland but as I will use my cell phone number for her.

Maybe she has friends who can help out? She must know people who have email and cell phones. She wouldn't be asking very much of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Steve NH said:

Maybe she has friends who can help out? She must know people who have email and cell phones. She wouldn't be asking very much of them.

Think I am just going to wait till we get there and let Viking do the necessary steps for embarkation.  If we get there and have all our required things,  they can take care of that piece.  I honestly think it is just to facilitate the embarkation process and not a necessary step in this process.  I'll keep trying Viking to see what they say.   Surely it can't be a requirement that you use VeriFLY. 

Thanks so much for the suggestions as the people on this site are the greatest and most helpful and I truly appreciate all the responses.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Camden lady said:

Well, it is like this...my sister has no computer, no internet, no smart phone and no TV.  I know, she is living in the dark ages but that is the way she wants it.  So far, I have done everything regarding all of our cruises and she just writes a check for her portion.   She does have a cell phone but it is an ancient one that is just basic and she can't do anything but talk on it and most of time it is in her purse turned off.  She has a land line that I call her on when I talk to her.  So I am trying to figure out how to get all this stuff done for her but that portion, I can't figure out.  I can do her registrations with Viking and Iceland but as I will use my cell phone number for her.

 

Is your sister sharing the stateroom with you (i.e. on same booking)? If so, include her as your companion in your VeriFly! Simple!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

 

Is your sister sharing the stateroom with you (i.e. on same booking)? If so, include her as your companion in your VeriFly! Simple!

 

 

Yes we are sharing a state room.  The problem is I can't get her picture or picture of her covid card for VeriFLY.   Everything else I can take care of.   I just talked to Viking and they said she can do the embarkation stuff when we get there.   It will take longer but it can be done there so if I can't come up with some way to get copies of her card and picture then she will just have to go through the longer process there.  They said VeriFLY was to streamline the embarkation process so if it is slower, that is fine.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Camden lady said:

Yes we are sharing a state room.  The problem is I can't get her picture or picture of her covid card for VeriFLY.   Everything else I can take care of.   I just talked to Viking and they said she can do the embarkation stuff when we get there.   It will take longer but it can be done there so if I can't come up with some way to get copies of her card and picture then she will just have to go through the longer process there.  They said VeriFLY was to streamline the embarkation process so if it is slower, that is fine.

Good to know!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Virgin Voyages. It's Go Time
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...