Jump to content

LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021


Peregrina651
 Share

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Texts are through cell signal not Internet or WiFi.

From Verizon.    Think most carriers offer this service on newer phones

 

https://www.verizon.com/support/wifi-calling-faqs/

 

"Wi-Fi Calling (aka Voice over Wi-Fi or VoWiFi) is a built-in feature on most of our current smartphones. Wi-Fi Calling lets you make and receive voice calls, texts and video calls over a Wi-Fi network instead of using a cellular network."

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Texts are through cell signal not Internet or WiFi.

imessage works with wifi, right?  I get messages on my ipad that doesn't have cellular service, when I am at home (where we have wifi)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, EJLobster said:

imessage works with wifi, right?  I get messages on my ipad that doesn't have cellular service, when I am at home (where we have wifi)

Yes,. Turn phone to a

1 minute ago, EJLobster said:

imessage works with wifi, right?  I get messages on my airplane mode, but turn on WiFi.  Or so I am told.ipad that doesn't have cellular service, when I am at home (where we have wifi)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Louhut1 said:

We are on the 7/3 cruise.  Just got an email from Viking that details very carefully the expectations and when each needs to be done.  Very clear instructions.  Thank you to Viking.  

Me too! Agree it's very detailed and helpful. Normally, I'm stressing about what to pack; in the covid world it's making sure I have all the documentation completed as required!! 

Edited by librarylady19
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, JM0115 said:

Plan on using a credit card but I just figure I’ll get some cash for the tour guides for tips and use up any extra in Reykjavik as we are staying for two days after the cruise. Wanted to make sure I could use up the small amount I have left over.

just be aware, tipping is not the norm here, they charge for everything fully included.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

See post #135.  Show barcode in Iceland and apparently to get on flight in US.

you will get a second barcode when you signup and pay for your return covid test to the usa

F96ECB17-14EA-4AA5-91E3-2EFBC8CB7DC3.jpeg

 

A614145B-8C03-4F9D-AFB9-33596C96D067.jpeg

CB3ED69A-27DA-4EE7-8A52-88F4AB7A85F6.jpeg

365F5833-FF05-4CCA-9985-9A1FE4BC3DBE.jpeg

5230AE10-3C13-491E-A0F7-18D40F458398.jpeg

Edited by ericfromri
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ericfromri said:

you will get a second barcode when you signup and pay for your return covid test to the usa

F96ECB17-14EA-4AA5-91E3-2EFBC8CB7DC3.jpeg

 

A614145B-8C03-4F9D-AFB9-33596C96D067.jpeg

CB3ED69A-27DA-4EE7-8A52-88F4AB7A85F6.jpeg

365F5833-FF05-4CCA-9985-9A1FE4BC3DBE.jpeg

5230AE10-3C13-491E-A0F7-18D40F458398.jpeg

But for those living in the U.S. and returning to the U.S., I had assumed that the Covid test that Viking will give us on board the ship will be all we need to get onto any airline, and into the U.S, right?  Maybe someone can clarify - now or later, once on the ship? 

 

Enjoyed the photos, Ericfromri.  Iceland is certainly is the land of fire and ice!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

But for those living in the U.S. and returning to the U.S., I had assumed that the Covid test that Viking will give us on board the ship will be all we need to get onto any airline, and into the U.S, right?  Maybe someone can clarify - now or later, once on the ship? 

 

Enjoyed the photos, Ericfromri.  Iceland is certainly is the land of fire and ice!

yes viking does that, but if you stay a few days afterwards , it has to be within 72 hours of the flight

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are on 8/3 cruise and are using Viking transfers to ship.  Given the likelihood we will be able to explore on own, we would like to visit Reykjavik on day one. Can someone tell me if a shuttle is available from ship to downtown?  If not, are cabs available?  How is the walk from port to downtown?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bardstowntraveller said:

We are on 8/3 cruise and are using Viking transfers to ship.  Given the likelihood we will be able to explore on own, we would like to visit Reykjavik on day one. Can someone tell me if a shuttle is available from ship to downtown?  If not, are cabs available?  How is the walk from port to downtown?

I understand that there are not a huge number of taxis, that it's about a mile walk into town and at this point not sure about ship shuttles.  Hopefully the first folks to embark tomorrow will let us know - can't wait!!!!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, madrone said:

I understand that there are not a huge number of taxis, that it's about a mile walk into town and at this point not sure about ship shuttles.  Hopefully the first folks to embark tomorrow will let us know - can't wait!!!!

 

The Reykjavik bus system has line 16, see straeto.is.  And there's a little ferry near the port that goes to Videy Island and then to Reykjavik's Old Harbour and then back to the port. I'll post a little more about these possible options on the "other" (big) thread later today in case anyone's interested.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

The Reykjavik bus system has line 16, see straeto.is.  And there's a little ferry near the port that goes to Videy Island and then to Reykjavik's Old Harbour and then back to the port. I'll post a little more about these possible options on the "other" (big) thread later today in case anyone's interested.

if you put the straeto app on your phone and insert your credit card details, you can buy the ticket  without cash for the same price

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bardstowntraveller said:

We are on 8/3 cruise and are using Viking transfers to ship.  Given the likelihood we will be able to explore on own, we would like to visit Reykjavik on day one. Can someone tell me if a shuttle is available from ship to downtown?  If not, are cabs available?  How is the walk from port to downtown?

A few years ago when our Viking cruise stopped in Reykjavik (same port currently being used), a frequent shuttle was offered to town. As I recall it stopped outside the Harpa Concert Hall.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

The Reykjavik bus system has line 16, see straeto.is.  And there's a little ferry near the port that goes to Videy Island and then to Reykjavik's Old Harbour and then back to the port. I'll post a little more about these possible options on the "other" (big) thread later today in case anyone's interested.

The good news on bus route 16 is that there is a bus stop 450 meters or a 5 minute walk from the habor.  The big news on bus route 16 is that it does not run on Saturday or Sunday.  The closest bus route that runs on Saturday and Sunday is bus route 12 which the nearest bus stop is a 18-20 minute walk from the harbor.

 

Edited by Dukefan
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone had any success finding a Reykjavik to Blue Lagoon shuttle/bus? We are coming in early and wanted to hit the Blue Lagoon on the way from the airport - It looks like all the bus lines are suspended - Anyone have any other luck/advice??

 

Thanks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bardstowntraveller said:

We are on 8/3 cruise and are using Viking transfers to ship.  Given the likelihood we will be able to explore on own, we would like to visit Reykjavik on day one. Can someone tell me if a shuttle is available from ship to downtown?  If not, are cabs available?  How is the walk from port to downtown?

No one will know until the first cruise tomorrow.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have just completed the first leg of our trip.  A report on check in.  The gate agent wanted our passport and vax certificate.  She then said, so, you know need a negative test and printed our boarding passes.  They said DOCS OK.  She had no idea about the bar code, and didn’t want to see it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, jeremybe said:

Has anyone had any success finding a Reykjavik to Blue Lagoon shuttle/bus? We are coming in early and wanted to hit the Blue Lagoon on the way from the airport - It looks like all the bus lines are suspended - Anyone have any other luck/advice??

 

Thanks 

Check the Get Your Guide app. They have several transfers to Blue Lagoon. I use this app all the time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/22/2021 at 6:39 PM, Snit13 said:

Four of us are booked on the August 31st cruise.  So happy I found this thread.  I have not been on Cruise Critic since I had 2 cruises cancel in 2020 and 2 in 2021.  Hope all goes well with this one.  I too am a Celebrity/Royal Caribbean cruiser and this will be my first Viking Cruise.  We were searching for a Viking River Cruise in Western Europe when one in our party suggested Iceland.

We are also booked on the August 31 cruise, 4 of us traveling from Florida. We are arriving on the 29th early morning. We have been on 1 other Viking Ocean in 2019. We are planning to do a Golden Circle tour on the 30th, getting that out of the way before boarding the ship.

We look forward to meeting some of our fellow cruisers perhaps before boarding the ship. We are staying at the Radisson Blu 1919. Let me know if you will be coming in early.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Texts are through cell signal not Internet or WiFi.

I can receive texts on my IPad which does not have cellular .  In fact, my cellular  service was not working when I first arrived in Iceland, but I was able to text Sprint via my hotel Wi-Fi to get it fixed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Jgg630 said:

Check the Get Your Guide app. They have several transfers to Blue Lagoon. I use this app all the time. 

Thanks for that tip.. I'm looking for an Airport to Blue Lagoon transfer.. cant seem to find one anywhere

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, jeremybe said:

Has anyone had any success finding a Reykjavik to Blue Lagoon shuttle/bus? We are coming in early and wanted to hit the Blue Lagoon on the way from the airport - It looks like all the bus lines are suspended - Anyone have any other luck/advice??

 

Thanks 

They have stopped those busses ; Blue Lagoon is  not allowing anyone to come directly from the airport . However, that will most likely be changed shortly as Iceland suspends the Covid test on arrival program .

our guide today said that Iceland is suspending that restriction tomorrow, but I haven’t confirmed that ( just got back from our Golden Circle tour ) .

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Announcement: Sail with Marella Cruises ~ Sponsored by Marella Cruises
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Princess Cruises - Medallion Masters!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...