LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

3 hours ago, Jay23 said:

Thanks for all that essential information about timing !   I cannot believe that your cruise is coming to a close now.  All your posts have been very helpful and interesting.  Your neighbour Judith.    

Thank you so much you are a wonderful writer and this helps everybody I’m sure. I feel like I need a drink  with my head spinning with all I need to do to go.  I sure wouldn’t want to do this trip if I was borderline dementia…wait…. Maybe I am laughing out loud  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/5/2021 at 11:52 AM, Dukefan said:

I don't believe there were any wine drinkers on the first cruise.   If there are any on the second cruise, please take a second while looking at the list to take a picture and post if so those of us following you will have an idea of the wines that are available.   Thanks.

Hi Dukefan - just catching up on my CruiseCritic reading.  We were on the first cruise and there was a LOT of wine drinking!  Hope you got your list and had a blast.

• Like 1

We are taking the August 24th cruise and can't wait.  

Took the "Into the Midnight Sun" cruise in 2018.  Also the Danube Christmas cruise before lockdown.  I can't remember what the suggested tour guide, bus driver, overall guide tips should be.  I want to be sure to have the cash.  Does the ship have change for dollars?

This blog has been great.  Thanks to everyone for their input.

21 hours ago, Snit13 said:

Thank you for your reply.  We do not get food from TPA to MSP but we are supposed to get a meal on MSP to KEF.  I imagine we will be hungry when we arrive from TPA.  Are you permitted to take sandwiches on airlines today?  I know the rules have changed.   I haven't flown in years as I have been cruising since EAL went out of business and husband lost his position and we lost pass riding privileges.

We flew the TPA-MSP-KEF flight on July 12.  They did serve beer and wine, but the meal was a cold caprese sandwich and a cucumber salad with a package chocolate chip cookie.  Don't know if it will be the same for you.

We were glad we packed sandwiches from Mazzaros.  They open 9am if you are familiar with them and you can call ahead.

54 minutes ago, shans said:

We flew the TPA-MSP-KEF flight on July 12.  They did serve beer and wine, but the meal was a cold caprese sandwich and a cucumber salad with a package chocolate chip cookie.  

You are telling me they considered that a meal!!!  Wow things have really changed.  Meals were never good but they at least gave you a meal, not a snack....in the good old days.  I haven't flown for years and used to fly almost every weekend.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 4:01 AM, Snit13 said:

Sorry to hear that.  We booked the end of May and  the drink package was included.  Totally wasted on me as I am lucky to have one drink a week.  Is there any real advantage to prepaying gratuities on Viking?  I normally pre pay on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

How important is it to bring the insect head covering as many have posted?  I saw on WalMart site they are much cheaper than on Amazon.  I have experienced how nasty the sand flees can be in FL and the  deer flies in GA and FL and I really prefer the netting over my head/face.  Did you take netting with you?

I guess since most are reporting good weather the waterproof boots aren't essential.  Your opinion please,

I am not a big drinker either but I do love a cold   non-alcoholic seltzer water. I was tossing back 6-7 a day. I even got one in the World Cafe in debarkation day that was coveted. Can’t say for sure but I would think juices and non-alcoholic drinks would be covered also. Smoothies anyone?

I always always always plan for the worst and pack food onto a plane. My family used to mock me until they were hungry with no food in sight. My kids actually flew last Sunday (or planned to fly rather) thru Dallas and got caught up in the American cancellations. They ended up spending the night at LAX airport for 10:30 am connecting Dallas flight on Monday after leaving LAX at 1:30 am. You bet they were glad of my picnic lunch then. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bookworm114 said:

I am not a big drinker either but I do love a cold   non-alcoholic seltzer water. I was tossing back 6-7 a day. I even got one in the World Cafe in debarkation day that was coveted. Can’t say for sure but I would think juices and non-alcoholic drinks would be covered also. Smoothies anyone?

There are some mock tails that would be covered as well as all juices etc. I have seen smoothies available at breakfast but possibly available at other times as well. 

19 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

Live from Sky

Today we visited the ice lagoon and the sun shone. It was a great trip stunning coastal scenery on the way and great views of distant glaciers that just got closer and closer. 

Lagoon trip was great with close up encounters with ice bergs and we were plenty close enough to the face of the glacier. 

The blue skies and sunshine just made everything perfect. 

It could have been so different as we turned up to the meeting point at the wrong time. We were booked on the 08:30 departure (as confirmed on our final invoice a few days before departure)  but for some reason we were switched to the 8:00 an departure without being notified by Viking. I have been on enough trips to know I should double check these things but as you don’t see the next day’s Viking daily until you get back to your stateroom after dinner, drinks and a show, maybe details such as the particular code for a trip are not on the tip of my list of priorities. 

So initially we were told that we had missed the trip but they would give us a refund. This was fair but still disappointing as we really did want to do the trip but I acknowledge that we are reminded enough to check the tour code against the printed Viking Daily and not the Viking app or previous communications. 

Then we told that there was 9 of us in a similar situation as either going to the wrong meeting place or at the wrong time. They were trying to make arrangements  for us join the group later on the trip. Then we were told to board the tender about an hour after the first group was due to meet, which we should have been on. Waiting for us when we got off the tender were three local cars if various sizes who eventually took all the way to the Ice Lagoon to catch up with our group. 

So the two lessons are:

Always check your tour code on your tour ticket against the printed Viking daily and double check it again. 

And secondly, if Viking can they will do what they can to make sure you have a great trip. 

Room service snack on return to the ship followed by a late light meal in the World Cafe. The ship feels empty tonight, the other pax must be at the farewell shows with the captain. 

Looking forward to the rib trip tomorrow assuming we turn up at the right place at the right time. 

Tomorrow we need to check in online for our flights, fill out forms to get back into the UK and hopefully get our negative Covid test to show at the UK border. 

Another day, another form to fill in. 

Signing off from the Explorers Lounge……. Mr Bartender, another Black Russian please. 

TTFN

I'm wondering about the trip to the ice lagoon. How challenging is the ride in the zodiak? is it ok for someone who is not very agile?

9 minutes ago, whipperwilleo said:

I'm wondering about the trip to the ice lagoon. How challenging is the ride in the zodiak? is it ok for someone who is not very agile?

I would not call it challenging. The walk down to the lagoon is on uneven gravel but good shoes and a buddy to help should make that doable. They bring the Zodiac right up to the shore line so you don’t have to get your feet wet. There is a staff person there who can tell you the ways to get in and out and help if needed. Once in the Zodiac you sit on the edge and hold on to a rope with your feet solid on the floor. It does not go fast or make sharp turns so that isn’t difficult. Just be careful as you twist and turn to take in all the natural beauty that is everywhere. 

• Like 3

On 8/4/2021 at 10:19 PM, skn_lgb said:

Just received the email.  Don't know what the next steps are.  I wouldn't mind just staying on the ship (so sick of not going anywhere).  But travel partner wants to cancel.  Unfortunately, I dont think that is possible.  

We only did Viking excursions and had a great time!  Really saw much more than we thought!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snit13 said:

You are telling me they considered that a meal!!!  Wow things have really changed.  Meals were never good but they at least gave you a meal, not a snack....in the good old days.  I haven't flown for years and used to fly almost every weekend.

It's more than they got on Icelandair.  The flight leaves late and is about 5-1/2 hours, so, it's a snack and a nap.  On the return, we were served a hot meal and a hot snack before landing. You are correct though on service these days.  Of course, it's not the best of times for the airlines or their staff.  Some of the stories and the people flying are horrible!  

3 hours ago, whipperwilleo said:

Easy coach journey with one stop each way. Walk from where coach drops you off is about 200m to where they give you warm suit and safety talk, plus lunch before or after, and then circa 600m across a rough path to get to the Zodiac boat. You then to get your leg over the side of the boat to get on. 

Afterwards  it’s the reverse trip. 

I do hope you can make it because it’s an awesome trip. 

14 minutes ago, Margigarcia said:

Hey travelers,

did you have any knowledge of quarantined shipmates?

that is our biggest fear-missing out on the fun, stuck in our cabin.

thoughts??

thanks

sept 7 sail date

We understand from comments made by ships officers to people we have spoken to (so second hand) is that the 31/7 departure has been Covid free. 

• Like 3

Anyone have their shore excursion time changed?  On day 7, Heimaey Beluga Whale Center went from 2:45 to 4:15.  This gets back to ship 5:45.  Ship is scheduled to leave at 6.  Being this is the last day of cruise, I wanted to go have a LEISURELY tea or cocktail before dinner.

I called Viking and was told that the 3rd party vendor changed the time. Is this excursion worth the time to go and see?

Thanks🥰

Live from Sky before signing off for this trip and handing over to those fortunate to follow. 

We did the rib trip today which was fun. It was not as adventurous as other rib trips we had done and the actual boat trip element was only one hour. We saw plenty of puffins and other sea birds and a wonderful close up of the steep sided cliffs and caves of the local islands. 

I am not sure we really saw the lava flows mentioned in the tour description but we could see them from where Viking Sky was at anchor in the bay. 

All the forms are filled in and we have a 6:00am departure for a 10:10am flight to London. So hopefully back home for mid afternoon. 

Looking forward to rejoining Viking again next year for our Homelands cruise deferred from this year but we may sneak in one week river cruise (possibly Douro in Portugal) later this year, all depending on UK travel restrictions. 

Thus trip has been great fun and well worth the effort and expense of pre and post testing required by UK and Icelandic government but we will only travel abroad again when it is easier to do than it has been this time. 

Signing off from Live on Viking Sky. Looking forward to reading of future travellers blogs. 

One last request, those posts that relate to the Live thread please post away. 

Those post that relate to the General thread that’s a great home for general comments on the Iceland trip. 

not TTFN but OAA (over and out!)0

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, sprshop said:

Anyone have their shore excursion time changed?  On day 7, Heimaey Beluga Whale Center went from 2:45 to 4:15.  This gets back to ship 5:45.  Ship is scheduled to leave at 6.  Being this is the last day of cruise, I wanted to go have a LEISURELY tea or cocktail before dinner.

I called Viking and was told that the 3rd party vendor changed the time. Is this excursion worth the time to go and see?

Thanks🥰

I got the same email yesterday and had the same concerns.  Before I cancelled, I called Viking and confirmed that there were spots on the 2:45.  SO I then cancelled 4:15 and moved us to 2:45.  Not sure when we'd have another opportunity to see a Beluga Whale...and Puffins, just in case we don't see some elsewhere.

15 minutes ago, NeilP57 said:

Live from Sky before signing off for this trip and handing over to those fortunate to follow. 

We did the rib trip today which was fun. It was not as adventurous as other rib trips we had done and the actual boat trip element was only one hour. We saw plenty of puffins and other sea birds and a wonderful close up of the steep sided cliffs and caves of the local islands. 

I am not sure we really saw the lava flows mentioned in the tour description but we could see them from where Viking Sky was at anchor in the bay. 

All the forms are filled in and we have a 6:00am departure for a 10:10am flight to London. So hopefully back home for mid afternoon. 

Looking forward to rejoining Viking again next year for our Homelands cruise deferred from this year but we may sneak in one week river cruise (possibly Douro in Portugal) later this year, all depending on UK travel restrictions. 

Thus trip has been great fun and well worth the effort and expense of pre and post testing required by UK and Icelandic government but we will only travel abroad again when it is easier to do than it has been this time. 

Signing off from Live on Viking Sky. Looking forward to reading of future travellers blogs. 

One last request, those posts that relate to the Live thread please post away. 

Those post that relate to the General thread that’s a great home for general comments on the Iceland trip. 

not TTFN but OAA (over and out!)0

Thank you SO much for your excellent information!  BTW, the Douro River Cruise is outstanding and I can highly recommend it!

• Like 3

Jupiter, live, Akureyri day. Don't remember if I reported on Isafjordur day but it was a wonderful stop. For today I took the Natural Treasures long excursion. Loved it, and we did get some blue sky and sunshine, which was great.  Spouse took Waterfall and Farm Life excursion, as he is less into long excursions with long walk than I am. He liked Godafoss waterfall part a lot and the scenery; said farm life part was OK.

There was a long line for excursions this morning because so many people were doing long and early excursions. But it went pretty fast. Just be patient. There were too many people to meet on the pier and the port area is small, so they had to use the theater for staging the excursions.

Viking offered a shuttle to town today. I didn't have time for it, however, so can't comment on it.

Only bad part of my day was that I sat too close to a person who talked too much and kept taking off his mask on the bus. I was too timid to ask him not to do it, but someone else did. But off it came later. But the overwhelming majority of people on the ship are great.

Couple comments/tips:

--Contact tracers do not flash.  Maybe company re-programmed.

--Bug netting came in very handy on Natural Treasures, Dimmunborgur

--Can rate your excursions on the TV

--Can pause movies on the TV

--At World Cafe, there is usually sushi on one side and usually salad and cold things like crab legs and shrimp on other side

--New gangway today, very little slope, short, with no rubber stoppers

--With eyeglasses and masks, I use Loocid wipes on my glasses. You may be able to get something similar from an eyedoctor.

--We have 715 pax. Haven't heard of any problems with Covid. Masking has been excellent except for the man I mentioned previously, and occasionally I see masks below noses, but not many. 

--If you can't walk long distances, the guides will help you out, or if it comes to it, you can sit on the bus with the bus driver.

Tomorrow is our long day in Seydisfjordor. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2021 at 9:37 PM, NeilP57 said:

Live from Sky

Today we visited the ice lagoon and the sun shone. It was a great trip stunning coastal scenery on the way and great views of distant glaciers that just got closer and closer. 

Lagoon trip was great with close up encounters with ice bergs and we were plenty close enough to the face of the glacier. 

The blue skies and sunshine just made everything perfect. 

It could have been so different as we turned up to the meeting point at the wrong time. We were booked on the 08:30 departure (as confirmed on our final invoice a few days before departure)  but for some reason we were switched to the 8:00 an departure without being notified by Viking. I have been on enough trips to know I should double check these things but as you don’t see the next day’s Viking daily until you get back to your stateroom after dinner, drinks and a show, maybe details such as the particular code for a trip are not on the tip of my list of priorities. 

So initially we were told that we had missed the trip but they would give us a refund. This was fair but still disappointing as we really did want to do the trip but I acknowledge that we are reminded enough to check the tour code against the printed Viking Daily and not the Viking app or previous communications. 

Then we told that there was 9 of us in a similar situation as either going to the wrong meeting place or at the wrong time. They were trying to make arrangements  for us join the group later on the trip. Then we were told to board the tender about an hour after the first group was due to meet, which we should have been on. Waiting for us when we got off the tender were three local cars if various sizes who eventually took all the way to the Ice Lagoon to catch up with our group. 

So the two lessons are:

Always check your tour code on your tour ticket against the printed Viking daily and double check it again. 

And secondly, if Viking can they will do what they can to make sure you have a great trip. 

Room service snack on return to the ship followed by a late light meal in the World Cafe. The ship feels empty tonight, the other pax must be at the farewell shows with the captain. 

Looking forward to the rib trip tomorrow assuming we turn up at the right place at the right time. 

Tomorrow we need to check in online for our flights, fill out forms to get back into the UK and hopefully get our negative Covid test to show at the UK border. 

Another day, another form to fill in. 

Signing off from the Explorers Lounge……. Mr Bartender, another Black Russian please. 

TTFN

So far we haven't had any excursion times changed.

Good to hear about the great lagoon trip. I'm one day away from that and really looking forward to it.

Ruth

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

So far we haven't had any excursion times changed.

Good to hear about the great lagoon trip. I'm one day away from that and really looking forward to it.

Ruth

Thank you so much for the detailed information!  Glad to hear all is going great!  

• Like 2