NCL Suspended Sailinigs?

BirdTravels

10 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Edited to add one other thing that consumers need may want to ask their credit card company about protection. Sometimes protection is void if too much time has elapsed. 

I believe that it is stipulated by federal law as 60 days from when merchandise was purchased or a service was scheduled to be delivered.  I wouldn't put much faith in what a CC company tells me.  When I don't receive what I paid for, I call them and tell them that I am contesting the charge.  I've never had a problem in the rare times I've had to do this.  Of course, I always start with the merchant and only contest the charge when their answer is unsatisfactory.  A cruise line wanting to sit on my money for months after they cancel a cruise is not satisfactory.  That said, many consumers just allow it to happen.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I believe that it is stipulated by federal law as 60 days from when merchandise was purchased or a service was scheduled to be delivered.  I wouldn't put much faith in what a CC company tells me.  When I don't receive what I paid for, I call them and tell them that I am contesting the charge.  I've never had a problem in the rare times I've had to do this.  Of course, I always start with the merchant and only contest the charge when their answer is unsatisfactory.  A cruise line wanting to sit on my money for months after they cancel a cruise is not satisfactory.  That said, many consumers just allow it to happen.

I hear ya. I once ordered  a package of assorted 🧀 and the company over charged me. Once I put in a dispute with my cc company, it was amazing how fast that company reimbursed me. 😉

Not long ago there was a thread in which a cruise company (I think it was NCL but might have been Royal) added a stipulation that certain benefits could be denied to any passenger who had previously initiated a dispute against the company. I'll see if I can find the thread. It may be tempting to argue that the "customer always wins," but the reality is that large companies can insulate themselves against the costs associated with chargebacks and disputes by:

1. Raising the cost of the cruise for everybody and/or removing various perks

2. Adjusting the terms and conditions to make it more favorable to them

3. Excluding consumers who've filed disputes from certain discounts and benefits.

Newton's Third Law: every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Edited by DCGuy64
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Not long ago there was a thread in which a cruise company (I think it was NCL but might have been Royal) added a stipulation that certain benefits could be denied to any passenger who had previously initiated a dispute against the company. I'll see if I can find the thread. It may be tempting to argue that the "customer always wins," but the reality is that large companies can insulate themselves against the costs associated with chargebacks and disputes by:

1. Raising the cost of the cruise for everybody and/or removing various perks

2. Adjusting the terms and conditions to make it more favorable to them

3. Exclude consumers who've filed disputes from certain discounts and benefits.

Newton's Third Law: every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

I think we might be missing the point.  I am only speaking for myself here.  The cost of everything is going up. So the cost to put sail a cruise will follow.  The issue is recently cancelled cruises were for the most part paid for in full by the guest.  The agreement we had was, payment for services.  Both sides agreed to that deal.  If I the guest cancel within a period of time, I pay a penalty, agreed.  If the Cruise line cancels, they do not.  If I attempt to purchase a cruise in the future, it is up to me to find one that is within the same financial parameters. 

However, if our original deal now becomes null and void , not any parties fault.  The cost go up, the guest must pay the increased cost.  In the same situation happening with home building.  The costs of materials are up yet if you contracted at a price, you are safe for the most part on the cost to you as the buyer.  

So this post does not take an ugly turn.  Both parties are injured here.  No winners and no real fault.  My suggestion is a logical business agreement.  All we want to do is cruise for what we originally agreed on financially. Nothing more, nothing less.  We completely understand any future cruise past that will come at a higher cost and we will gladly pay it.  

Many folks are sympathetic to the financial situation for the cruise industry.  I completely agree.  I want them to survive and proper.  I also just want what I was promised originally. I read the cruise contract, I have no leg to stand on.  Not the point.  Fair is fair.  

50 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I think we might be missing the point.  I am only speaking for myself here.  The cost of everything is going up. So the cost to put sail a cruise will follow.  The issue is recently cancelled cruises were for the most part paid for in full by the guest.  The agreement we had was, payment for services.  Both sides agreed to that deal.  If I the guest cancel within a period of time, I pay a penalty, agreed.  If the Cruise line cancels, they do not.  If I attempt to purchase a cruise in the future, it is up to me to find one that is within the same financial parameters. 

However, if our original deal now becomes null and void , not any parties fault.  The cost go up, the guest must pay the increased cost.  In the same situation happening with home building.  The costs of materials are up yet if you contracted at a price, you are safe for the most part on the cost to you as the buyer.  

So this post does not take an ugly turn.  Both parties are injured here.  No winners and no real fault.  My suggestion is a logical business agreement.  All we want to do is cruise for what we originally agreed on financially. Nothing more, nothing less.  We completely understand any future cruise past that will come at a higher cost and we will gladly pay it.  

Many folks are sympathetic to the financial situation for the cruise industry.  I completely agree.  I want them to survive and proper.  I also just want what I was promised originally. I read the cruise contract, I have no leg to stand on.  Not the point.  Fair is fair.  

Hi, Gary.

My comments weren't directed at you. They were directed towards others who think they can pull a fast one by disputing something with the cruise lines and assume there'll be no consequences. There are always consequences. I've seen cruise lines offer top-shelf spirits "for free" and when they start to lose money, they begin charging for them. I've seen them reduce the size of portions and the number of choices on the menu, I've seen them replace freshly cooked items with "previously frozen." And so on. The cruise lines aren't stupid, they're businesses interested in making money. If people decide to take their money and run, it'll only cause the remaining guests to pay more for less and have more things excluded. I guess when we look out for #1, we're just being sensible, but when the cruise lines do it, it's greed.

That being said, I am of COURSE irritated that NCL canceled my cruise on the Gem, I booked a new one on the Sky in a smaller cabin due to no availability in my previous category (oceanview on the Sky vs Club Balcony on Gem), and then they switched me back to the original ship, with prices 60% higher for my old cabin, so I'm stuck with the oceanview. Yeah, it sucks. But hey, they moved me automatically to the new ship and I don't have to pay the higher amount for that cabin. It could be worse.

8 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Hi, Gary.

My comments weren't directed at you. They were directed towards others who think they can pull a fast one by disputing something with the cruise lines and assume there'll be no consequences. There are always consequences. I've seen cruise lines offer top-shelf spirits "for free" and when they start to lose money, they begin charging for them. I've seen them reduce the size of portions and the number of choices on the menu, I've seen them replace freshly cooked items with "previously frozen." And so on. The cruise lines aren't stupid, they're businesses interested in making money. If people decide to take their money and run, it'll only cause the remaining guests to pay more for less and have more things excluded. I guess when we look out for #1, we're just being sensible, but when the cruise lines do it, it's greed.

That being said, I am of COURSE irritated that NCL canceled my cruise on the Gem, I booked a new one on the Sky in a smaller cabin due to no availability in my previous category (oceanview on the Sky vs Club Balcony on Gem), and then they switched me back to the original ship, with prices 60% higher for my old cabin, so I'm stuck with the oceanview. Yeah, it sucks. But hey, they moved me automatically to the new ship and I don't have to pay the higher amount for that cabin. It could be worse.

I never thought you were directing your comments at me.  I in turn was not directing my comments at you or your post.  Your posts are always well written and thought out.  I have seen the same think happen on cruise ships when money was tight.  I just wish all cruise brands, not just NCL would look at this horrible situation from a reputation standpoint.  What will drive future sales at higher prices is the experiences the clients have when they cruise again.  It the experiences is less then positive, for any reason, all brands sales will be effected.  

Many conversations on CruiseCritic.com and other social media has focused on "What is going to happen too ...."  That might be food quality, service, shows and the list go on.  Folks are really looking at those things and will evaluate them in comments and reviews as cruises happen.  This includes of course what has happened to you, myself and others when our cruises have been cancelled and we try to rebook. 

My advice to all cruise lines is very simple.  Make your next several months cruise experiences flawless.  It might make you less money initially, however it will sell you sailings at a higher price in the future.  Sales will be judged by how you handle this situation today.  Will they listen, maybe or maybe not.  We clients just have to speak our thoughts to even get anyone to consider hearing us.  No threats, no finger pointing just say how you feel and ask for what is reasonable in a nice way.  Debate not hate.  

Let me again say, this is an unprecedented situation on unchartered waters.  No ones fault here but it happened.  So let's work it out together and now one sided.  Cruise well Everyone. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I never thought you were directing your comments at me.  I in turn was not directing my comments at you or your post.  Your posts are always well written and thought out.  I have seen the same think happen on cruise ships when money was tight.  I just wish all cruise brands, not just NCL would look at this horrible situation from a reputation standpoint.  What will drive future sales at higher prices is the experiences the clients have when they cruise again.  It the experiences is less then positive, for any reason, all brands sales will be effected.  

Many conversations on CruiseCritic.com and other social media has focused on "What is going to happen too ...."  That might be food quality, service, shows and the list go on.  Folks are really looking at those things and will evaluate them in comments and reviews as cruises happen.  This includes of course what has happened to you, myself and others when our cruises have been cancelled and we try to rebook. 

My advice to all cruise lines is very simple.  Make your next several months cruise experiences flawless.  It might make you less money initially, however it will sell you sailings at a higher price in the future.  Sales will be judged by how you handle this situation today.  Will they listen, maybe or maybe not.  We clients just have to speak our thoughts to even get anyone to consider hearing us.  No threats, no finger pointing just say how you feel and ask for what is reasonable in a nice way.  Debate not hate.  

Let me again say, this is an unprecedented situation on unchartered waters.  No ones fault here but it happened.  So let's work it out together and now one sided.  Cruise well Everyone. 

AMEN!

The measure of any company (particularly and company engaged in the leisure industry) is not how then handle things when everything is going well.  It's how they handle things when things get out of hand (like the last 16 months).  

They can choose to squeeze the passengers, the customers they need in order to move forward.  That means they will be hard pressed to capture not only their former loyal customers (like me).

Or, they can choose to treat their passengers, their customer base, the right way.  Smooth all the ruffled feathers, move towards giving their customer base the best experiences they possibly can, to entice us to book now, and into the future, more than once or twice.

The choice is there's.  I voted with my wallet.  They had me well in hand.  They turned around and lost me, unceremoniously.

Or, 

• Like 2

So that darn "Suspended Sailings" link is gone from the NCL home page again. Last time... that meant more cancellations 😲.

Our cruise hasn't been on the NCL website for more than a week now... we were told that it was because it was at capacity. Let's hope that NCL sticks with that story. 

Online reservation still looks normal. No "screen of death" splash page. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

So that darn "Suspended Sailings" link is gone from the NCL home page again. Last time... that meant more cancellations 😲.

Our cruise hasn't been on the NCL website for more than a week now... we were told that it was because it was at capacity. Let's hope that NCL sticks with that story. 

Here's praying to that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

They actually added more skagway excursions over night

On 6/25/2021 at 6:03 AM, Sthrngary said:

Which is the problem with cruise contracts, and something the States Attorney Generals along with the FTC needs to address

4 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

What's with Jade - in April they announced sailings from July, but it seems to be only starting in late August, but there is nothing about it in the suspended sailings list..

I hope you are wrong.  We are scheduled to sail July 25, 2021 and NCL keeps saying it is a go.  We fly out 22 days from today on a flight arranged by NCL.  

First one will be interesting.  Should be the cleanest ship we have ever been on.  Crew should be well rested and cheerful.  Performers on "A" game.  Food fresh.  Might be the best cruise yet!!!

• Like 1

Just now, Rob-Bob said:

I hope you are wrong.  We are scheduled to sail July 25, 2021 and NCL keeps saying it is a go.  We fly out 22 days from today on a flight arranged by NCL.  

First one will be interesting.  Should be the cleanest ship we have ever been on.  Crew should be well rested and cheerful.  Performers on "A" game.  Food fresh.  Might be the best cruise yet!!!

Maybe just verify in case I did something wrong - search for Jade and see what you can find?  It was August for me...Hopefullly it is wrong!

2 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

Maybe just verify in case I did something wrong - search for Jade and see what you can find?  It was August for me...Hopefullly it is wrong!

Just because it's not listed for sale anymore doesn't mean it's not happening. If it's not on the NCL site anymore, it's probably sold out or bookings are closed to limit capacity.

• Like 3

Just now, JamieLogical said:

Just because it's not listed for sale anymore doesn't mean it's not happening. If it's not on the NCL site anymore, it's probably sold out or bookings are closed to limit capacity.

Ok, makes sense.  I think I'm getting paranoid about suspensions, not even on the Jade, but watching all sailings with trepidation!  Still hoping Epic will sail the Med this Sept!

3 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

You are right that August 22 sailing is the first one listed.  Maybe because the first 4 are sold out?  Do they just drop those?

7 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

Perhaps.  JamieLogical thinks so, and it probably makes sense.  Disconcerting though, I would have expected "sold out"...but then as we know recently, that doesn't bode well either 😃

You have every reason in the world to be skeptical. This is unchartered territory for the cruise industry and guests. After multiple cancellations, we look even more closely at what looks to be odd.  Unfortunately, we are usually right in our assumptions.  

In this case, my Crystal Ball tells me it is most likely the ship simply is not taking on any more bookings.  Just look at the guest count for the most recent ships that sailed.  40% seems to be a normal count.  Have faith.  

On the better way of looking at this.  This trip and many of the earlier ones going out will be an "Once in a Life Time" event.  The cruise brands want to impress us, the reviews have to be great, less folks on board allow us to have simple pleasures like a lounge chair at the pool on a sea day. I would not be so positive except ships are finally sailing.  

Cruise well everyone. 

• Like 3

The first couple of Alaska cruises have been showing sold out for the past week or so. In fact, the 8/7 one disappeared for a while. Now both are back up on the site. 8/7 one is showing a few balcony cabins on decks 8 & 9 + a few Haven rooms. 8/14 is showing more rooms throughout the ship - balcony, club suites & Haven. I am hoping that they were showing sold out because NCL needed to assess how many rooms were still available before they sold out to 60% capacity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, podgeandrodge said:

Perhaps.  JamieLogical thinks so, and it probably makes sense.  Disconcerting though, I would have expected "sold out"...but then as we know recently, that doesn't bode well either 😃

Jamie is correct. Once a cruise is sold out, it is not displayed in an NCL search result.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, podgeandrodge said:

What's with Jade - in April they announced sailings from July, but it seems to be only starting in late August, but there is nothing about it in the suspended sailings list..

At least 3 of the Jade cruises in July/August have showed as being "sold-out" for at least two weeks on a well-known cruise booking website.  That being the case, I'm with the other posters in thinking they are at full capacity and not accepting any further reservations.  If the intention were to cancel the cruises, I don't think they would keep them in limbo for such a long period of time.

• Like 1

PoA’s December 25 cruise has disappeared, but the earlier December ones still show up as available.  I’m joining all the folks who say the disappearing cruises are sold out/booked to initial capacity.

2 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

PoA’s December 25 cruise has disappeared, but the earlier December ones still show up as available.  I’m joining all the folks who say the disappearing cruises are sold out/booked to initial capacity.

Makes sense the Christmas sailing would sail out fastest.

1 minute ago, JamieLogical said:

Makes sense the Christmas sailing would sail out fastest.

Yup.  It was pretty booked up even at this time last year.  (Been following that one since we’re on it.) I’d be much more worried about a cancellation if the earlier ones were gone too.  I think the missing cruises for most ships, at this point, are hopefully just sold out.

I’m actually looking forward to a cruise with fewer people on it, and hopefully by that point most of the procedures/precautions will have been dropped and/or streamlined.